Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

What is this thing called?

Posted by cork2win (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 14:09

Can someone please help me identify what you would call the bar that is used to hang this macrame hanging from in the linked picture?

I know I could just use a dowel rod or something, but I've seen fancier versions of bars like this and I have not idea what to search for, either at the store or online. Does this "bar" have an official name?

By the way, I didn't make this, I just found the picture online to demonstrate what I'm asking about.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: What is this thing called?

It looks like a large wooden dowel that someone stained a dark color. You can find those wooden dowels at places like Michael's and Hobby Lobby, or Home Depot and Lowe's. You can buy finials to attach to the ends. You could also buy a decorative curtain rod with finials and cut it down to a shorter length.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

RE: What is this thing called?

I agree w/ Kudzu, the more fancier ones are curtain rods....

RE: What is this thing called?

Macrame looks nice tied onto driftwood, too. But yes, that's a stained hardwood dowel. When you buy one, look down the length of it and turn it, check for warping.

RE: What is this thing called?

You can also use wooden beads on ends of painted or stained towel, or ceramic or even metal beads. Imporant thing to remember is the dowel should match size of project. In the pic shown the project could be 18 in. long then need 1/2 to 3/4 in dowel. If it's only 8 in. long then need probably 1/4 in dowel. I made xmas trees 1 yr & used 1/4 dowel across the bottom with red wooden beads on ends glued on. Driftwood is excellent choice for top of macrame hanging item. The dowel used to come in about 36 in. lengths & would be box of them with dividers for the different sizes,ask where they are at or you'll probably miss them. Not too expensive either. Of course if people come around & stick a flag in your yard for 4th or with flower attached for Mother's day advertising homes for sale, their bottled water, etc. Then get dowel free!!Could cut down a left over brass or white round curtain rod & put metal decorative beads on ends(file ends of metal smooth so don't get cut) Wooden hobby horse handle too!! Good Luck! Jan

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here