Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sportsmom12_ln

Which is better for drilling holes in glass

sportsmom12
19 years ago

Our local hardware store didn't carry a hole saw, but did carry a glass drill bit( arrow shaped) It does do the trick, but does take some effort. Just wondered from experience which you guys think is easier. This guy at a craft show told me he used old dental bits- but I don't think my dentist would give me old dental bits because of hygeine laws.

thanks

Comments (13)

• toomuchglass
    19 years ago

I can only speak from what I use -- the old dental bits ! LOL
    Actually I use assorted diamond tipped bits made for
    "Dremel tools" . You can buy them seperately or in sets . The sets have all different shapes and sizes in them ,too (Very convienient). I saw them on E Bay, and Harbor Freight also carries them. These will only give you tiny holes - like for stringing windchimes . I have the arrow shaped bits - but haven't needed a big hole yet !
    Here's the Harbor Freight website - type in the search for DIAMOND BITS. (Hope this helps !)

Here is a link that might be useful: Harbor freight

• Ina Plassa_travis
    19 years ago

I have better luck using diamond grinding bits than I ever have with drill bits...

you can also look for something called a 'coring bit' that they do make with a diamond tip- a friend used to use them for cutting jade, which can be harder than glass.

• Zoe_smom
    19 years ago

I try to keep it simple and use the easily available (arrow shaped) ceramic drill bits. They may be a bit slow, but I'd rather have the proper size holes than fool around with tiny holes and try to enlarge them. I drill 1/2 inch holes in glass blocks.

• EndlessPossibilities
    19 years ago

I use a hole drill bit that cuts a 1/2" circle out of the glass. I submerse the glass block in water that barely covers the top and it takes about two minutes to drill a hole into the side which is just big enough to insert the string of lights. The drill bit was expensive (?$25?)but sooooo worth it if you're going to drill more than a few and sell them. If you'd like the information on the place where I ordered it, just email me (put "drill bit" in the Subject) and I'd be glad to share. I just don't have the info at my fingertips since I'm at work.
    Christine

• pattico_gw
    19 years ago

What about drilling the hole in a Mason jar?....

Have any of you done that and with what....

I want to do some of those for Christmas gifts and need to get started on them.

patti

• country_bumpkin_al
    19 years ago

The only thing DH has used is the Hole Saw (from Harbor Freight) and he was pretty impressed with it.

I saw a post somewhere (not here) by a girl and they were using the Hole Saw to drill the blocks and wine bottles....so I'd assume it would work on a Mason jar.

• GardenGirl_IA
    19 years ago

Hey Patti!

I use a glass and tile bit that I bought at Home Depot. I have made a bunch of these mason jar lamps...email me if you have any questions.

Ann

• sportsmom12
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Pattico- the only thing I drill holes in is the mason jars as I make those lamps. Let me know if you n eed the instructions for taking the candle lamp apart also.
    Good luck

• nicemom
    16 years ago

I bought a 2gallon mason jar and would like to know which drill bit and what size of hole to be able to fit a cord through. Also how do you take a candle lamp apart?

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

Check out the link for the best instructions for making jar lamps - very thorough and with pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Prim's Blog

• nicemom
    16 years ago

Thanks iowagirl2006!

The website is terrific and directions perfect!

nicemom

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

It is so funny to be reading a post...(and not paying any attention to how old it is...) and find you have posted on it...and not remembering at all doing so...until you read the date...LOL

thanks for the memory...
    I don't believe I ever did get those done...

patti

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

LOL! Patti - I was thinking the same thing - Heck - my user name changed! I was GardenGirl, and now I am iowagirl - I had to change, back when everything changed over to iVillage....

Are you inspired to get the jars out again?

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living