Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Attaching shells into a printer's tray

Posted by pchow (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 12:06

Hi,
Though I've posted before to the Remodeling Forum, I'm new to Crafts, so hope I'm asking this question in the right place :-)
I would like to display a collection of seashells by placing them in a wooden printer's tray, then hanging the tray on the wall.
What is the best way to secure the shells? Since there will be no glass cover over the tray, I really do not want them to come loose and fall out. I'm thinking some kind of adhesive, but not sure which; there are so many types! Would a simple glue gun work? I don't want the glue to be too obvious so as to distract from the seashells.
The link shows a picture of what I want to make.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Here is a link that might be useful: Printer's Tray with seashells

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Attaching shells into a printer's tray

I would think plain old Super Glue would work fine. Another good crafting glue is Mod Podge, it dries clear. Sign up for Joann's Craft Store coupons both in the mail (get the application at the store checkout counter) and online. They always have the 40% off coupons and then some.

Sal

o

Thanks Craftylady,
I will check out Mod Podge. I have Aleene's Tacky Glue, but maybe that's more for paper crafts.
And yes, I do get the JoAnn mailer; love those 40% off coupons!

o

You also may want to consider adding E6000 to your adhesive collection. Makes a very strong bond and good for heavier objects.

o

There are lots of great glues out there that I'm sure will hold your shells in place very well.
Question: How are you going to clean them when they get covered in dust, especially if they are glued in place?
If you put a piece of plexiglass over the front of the printer's tray you would have a much cleaner display over time, you wouldn't necessarily need to glue the shells in either so you could rearrange it if the mood struck...
just my 4 cents
Suzan J

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here