Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danaoh_gw

fragrance diffusers

danaoh
15 years ago

OK - I have been googling this trying to make sense of it. Of course, I want to make my own, be great for Xmas gifts for family we are visiting over Thanksgiving.

So, I have bamboo skewers, cute bottles, and a couple of samples of really good parfum (you know, those little tiny tubes). Is that what you use and what do you mix it with?

Comments (10)

• justlinda
    15 years ago

I don't think regular perfume works. I believe it has to be scented oils. I've never used them, but have checked them out in stores.

• addicted2junk
    15 years ago

I don't think you would need to mix anything with it. The diffuser reeds that you buy from the store is basically the same thing. Perfumers alcohol mixed with fragrance oil which I would assume is the same thing as perfume!! I make mine with everclear (yes, the liquior) and fragrance oil that I also use for my candles.

Give it a try and let us know how it worked.

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

This is perfect timing, since I just read this on a blog today. Check out The Pickled Pepper Patch with the $5 and Under Friday....she tells how to make these. Hope this helps, here is the link to her blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickled Pepper Patch-diffusers

• danaoh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I used bamboo skewers and vanilla fragrance oil from Micheals. Don't forget to turn the "diffusers" over every day, but so far it has worked. Was surprised couldn't find real reed diffusers at Michels, maybe I just missed them.

• justlinda
    15 years ago

danaoh ~ thanks for the trick of turning the reeds over every other day. I just picked up a couple of these "fragrance diffusers" at Wal-Mart, and the how-to-use instructions say dip one end into the oil, then flip the reeds and re-insert the opposite try end into the bottle. They don't say flip them every other day.

My biggest fear is that the man-of-the-house :) is a super klutz and may knock the bottles over....oil and all!

• justlinda
    15 years ago

Duh...Make that "the dry end".

Fat fingers and arthritis make spelling mistakes, not me!

:)

• muzie
    15 years ago

anyone know where you can purchase just the reeds??
    checked Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Target, and they all come with the jar and oil already.

• danaoh
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I couldn't find them either, so I used bamboo skewers. Cut off the tips, both ends. Seems to be working just fine.

• party_music50
    15 years ago

Hi --

I had to look at what these diffusers are, because when I saw "reed" I got very curious.

I weave baskets and weavers commonly use reed. I saw the prices they're selling pre-cut reed to make these diffusers with and OMG are they expensive!!!

You only need to know what size (diameter) reed you'd like, and you can get a bundle (1 lb) of it much cheaper from a basketry supply store. Just cut your own reed to the length you prefer!

Not sure if I can list my favorite suppliers here....
    Let me know if you req. more info. :)

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I just made some with Febreeze and bamboo kabob skewers. I poured some in a pretty green jar when this post came out on the 10th, and it works great, and smells so nice. I keep turning the skewers over every few days.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog