Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good sealer for paint?

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 11 at 11:15

DH and I undertook a budget-friendly makeover of our half walls. They were wallpapered with oak trim- we scraped off wallpaper and added crown molding and wood laminate, then painted them white. We did the wood laminate because we couldn't afford bead board at this moment, and figured we could switch it out later on. As I was painting the laminate, I noticed that it wasn't sticking on very well. The paint seemed to bubble up. But after three coats, they looked pretty good- only problem is they are VERY easily scratched. Is there a way to seal the paint? Or are we doomed because of the laminate we used?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good sealer for paint?

This is a good question for the Paint Forum. You probably probably should have used a base like Kiltz over the laminate or you needed to sandpaper the surface to get a better hold before you painted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Forum

o

I do think you are doomed. You may have gotten away with not using a primer if you had sanded the wood first. Problem is the paint had nothing to adhere to. You really should have sanded then primed. Been there done that...learned a valuable lesson. You may have to sand off what you have done and start over (if that is possible) Use a primer like Zinser or Kilz. I prefer zinser.

o

Are you sure it is wood laminate?- man tried to tell us some baseboard he said was particleboard. It was very light weight & broken on end, I looked at it & it's like pressed paper in a gray color covered with thin vinyl. My neighbor has door that she kicked & it was damaged & she wanted me to help her fix it, I could see it fraying out where she had tried to paint over it & I told her to get a new wood door. I'm getting wood & staining it for my mom so it holds up & can be refinished. Same problem at friends mobile home, she asked me how to fix kitchen drawer- it is a paper like stuff bit like contact paper,that looks a little like wood. Can't fix it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here