Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotshott

Need suggestions for prices...

hotshott
16 years ago

I will be doing a craft fair and I'm getting stuck pricing stuff...any suggestions would be GREAT! I will be selling everything but the baby blankets and bunting bags. I do have some baby bibs that aren't in the slide show that I will be selling...

PLEASE HELP!

Here is the link...

Here is a link that might be useful: Craft Slide Show

Comments (9)

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Well geez I thought I was organized having a few things completed for my Craft Show...way to go, Girl!
    This is what I would price your lovely things at, my family tells me I price too low, I think they price too high -- I would rather move the items than bring them home...you can judge for yourself.
    Baby Blankets $20- $25
    Bunting Bag $5-$7
    Tooth Pillow $5 - $7
    Hat Ornaments $3-$4
    Boy Ornament - any way you could write/paint Baby's First Christmas on that? $5-$7
    PJ's $8
    Snowman Mantle hanger - $5-$7
    Footprints - can't tell size, what they are made of / are you going to personalize them at the show, sell them blank?
    $5 - $8
    Bell Ornaments $5-$7
    Soaps - are you going to wrap these individually or sell in sets? $3 each if wrapped, $5 for 2 (personally I would wrap these)
    Earrings $5-$7 pair
    Fridge Magnets $1 -$2
    Bird House $7-$8
    Kitchen Towel $4-$5
    Floral Ornament $5-$7
    Scarf $10-$12
    Incense Holder $5-$7

I'll be interested to see what the other gals say for pricing of your beautiful items.
    And best of luck with your craft fair.
    Suzan J
    pandsrus

• tammy_crafter
    16 years ago

WHEN I PRICE MY STUFF I TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION WHAT IT COST FOR THE MATERIALS AND THEN I FIGURE IN WHAT WOULD I PAY FOR IT IF I WANTED TO BUY IT - UNFORTUNETLY YOU CAN'T PUT A PRICE ON YOUR TIME. I'M WITH SUSAN - MY FAMILY SAYS I PUT TO CHEAP OF PRICES ON - BUT THAT ALWAYS BRINGS BACK THE REGULARS AND THEY BUY MORE AND THEY TELL OTHERS - MY LAST SHOW I PROFITTED $1,000 AND I NEVER BUY RETAIL! THIS WEEKEND I HAVE A SHOW AND WIL BE "COMPETING" WITH 150 OTHER CRAFTERS - IF I OVER PRICE I'LL BE BRINGING STUF BACK HOME.
    GOOD LUCK - TAMMY

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

"THEY SAY" ( whoever "they" are ) there are "formulas" to follow ... I've NEVER , EVER found that accurate. Many crafters beside me --- laugh --- because we make pennies for our work. It's the love of doing it that keeps us going. However - there are people that take crafting seriously and make a living at it. ( I hope I don't offend anyone when I say this ) many of the things that THESE crafters sell are inported ... maybe they add a bow.

As for prices \- I check E Bay and other craft fairs for comparable crafts and price accordingly. Don't forget \-\-\- every area has their limits . What might sell for $25 in one area will go for $10 in the next. Do your homework and you 'll do fantastic !!! PS ...( Alot of your prices sound good to me )
  • hotshott
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sjarz- thank you so much for being so specific, I really appreciate it.

Tammy crafter, do you think those prices above sound reasonable?

Too much glass- great suggestion to check prices on e-bay! Thanks

Anyone else have any suggestions? I am still making a lot of stuff that is not a part of that slidshow yet. Will keep posted!

-Monica
    HOTSHOTGYRLY@HOTMAIL.COM

• danaoh
    16 years ago

Boy, I am in the same quandry. Have made purses out of felted wool sweaters. Each purse has 2 pockets inside or outside, hand sewn. Not lined. They look so nice inside. Sweaters cost me from $2.50 - $5. Who knows how much for the hot water wash (3 times) or hot dryer (3 times). Snap closures are about $1.50, or have used velcro, depending on style of purse.

So I have from around $4 to $6.50 or so I guess. Was thinking about $25 each. The point is, I want to sell them, but not give them away. You never know, do you?

I will be doing 2 shows this year, but they are in different towns. Had thought I would price them at $30 for first show, then if didn't sell well, mark them down to
    $25 for second show. But with different towns, different audience.

Is there an answer?

• sjarz
    16 years ago

I would love to get a look at those purses, Danaoh!
    Hotshott, you didn't answer my question about those footprints and how that is going to work???
    Are ya going to show us the other stuff you are making?
    Suzan J

• tammy_crafter
    16 years ago

Hot Shot - I think your prices are reasonable.
    Dana - I am with Susan - gotta see these purses
    If the purses sell for $25 then you know you priced them reasonably - you can always drop the prices - if they go well change them some small way and put the price up a little bit
    Did a craft show today - it was 95 degrees today in IL and I can't figure what people are thinking - why come to a craft show in the heat- fight the crowd and end up buying something you can buy off the internet - I did very poorly and everything I do I MAKE! Had a lady come up to me and said "Finally - a smowman that wasn't made in China" - Maybe the snowmen didn't go because it was to hot today
    Sorry - I'm venting
    tammy

• christopherh
    16 years ago

We always had a rule of thumb. We tripled our material costs. That usually was a good starting point. THEN we would find ways to REDUCE THE COSTS without reducing the final price, thereby increasing our profits.

So with the purses, we would charge around $20. That would be 3x our material costs. And if they sold well we would increase the price by a few bucks to maybe $25. People like the $20 prices. Anything more and they start balking.

• danaoh
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info on pricing. As far as pix, I can take them with the digital, but haven't done anything else with them. I will work on that. I am so pleased with them. Have seen some purses on the net that are made from sweaters, and let's just say that I like mine better. Notice net prices go from 8 or 10 dollars to 45.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler