Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Hollow Handled Knives-bud vase, ink pen, lapel pin

kudzukween
15 years ago

Posted this on Trash to Treasure,too. Cut the end off of an old silver plated knife and you can make several different crafts from it. A suction cup bud vase, a lapel pin bud vase, and an ink pen. Pics here:

Here is a link that might be useful: silver knife crafts

Comments (7)

• party_music50
    15 years ago

Those are PRETTY!!! I wouldn't be able to cut the knife though (both literally and figuratively). lol!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

How neat!! Love the ink pen! The little vase could even be put on window or fridge, filing cabinet at work if space was tight. Do you throw out the blade or have you come up for craft for it also? You mentioned on your site about coffee service sets, I was just given 1 what do you do with it? OH save up your old Bic or papermate cheapo pens when out of ink. GF & I are almost finished with really neat & useful idea for them. Jan

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll :D It is best to use knives from mis-matched pieces and that can't be polished clean. I don't have anything to make from the knife blades. But I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some kind of craft out there for them!
    Coffee and tea sets I mosaic. I like to paint them if they are really pitted, but if they will shine up, I'll just mosaic the bodies and the trays.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Wow!! That looks great!! Was it the gold color originally? Lady that gives me so much stuff gave it to me & I gave it to mom as she had the gold colored silverware. Since she doesn't entertain anymore she gave it back. She said it got a little silver looking when she used silver polish on it. Other than that looks new. Won't be able to sell it at yard sale as Spanish folks are mostly customers now & don't buy that type stuff(neither does anyone else as you have to clean it!! )LOL I think mine is same as yours. Jan

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This was the inexpensive silver tea service.Sometimes they're pitted. I've seen gold ones,too.The gold ones are probably electro-plated and some came off when it was cleaned. There's a lot of salt in the air down here, so they do tend to corrode. You can paint them, just roughen the surface with some steel wool and prime and paint. I use no name primer and paint usually. I'm not too worried about the paint, though, everyone still loves the chippy paint look. Then I use the silicone to "glue" my broken china and stained glass to it, and grout them,and use porcelain roses from jewelry boxes and other trinkets, pearls,buttons,charms, etc to decorate the lids. With the creamer, I just bundle some potpourri and set it in there.
    I have two more teasets right now, one is painted white waiting for some mosaic, and another I haven't done anything with yet. It has no handles on the creamer or sugar, but I have some tea cup handles I want to glue on them. I don't worry if the tip is broken off the lids either, because I glue things to it and no one can tell.
    I can't wait to see what you're doing with the ink pens!

• leveta
    15 years ago

Kudzu, have you ever tried or made necklaces from the vintage (broken)dishes and such. Useing sodering iron, soder and the coppertape, and flux? I would like to learn how to. But meed to know everything that's involve. I add a site I saved on the other PC that does this, BUT,...LOST IT...If anyone can help or send me in the right directions I believe you can....Thanks bunches....Leveta...the pest...

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Leveta :D I saw your post on Garden Junk and replied there, but check out this site

http://simplyswank.net/basic_kit?b=1

this looks like it has everything....I need it.....mostly because it's pink :D