Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qtiemom

Crafts Show Results

qtiemom
16 years ago

Ok ladies, I am back from my "weekend Studio Tour"

I did really well. Better than last year. I came out, after expenses, making $525.00! whewwwwwwwww...lol

$500.00 is alot for me, as my stuff is pretty low priced. Takes alot of little things to add up to 500.....lol

My biggest sellers were of course, as always the chili angels

tortilla warmers (OMG I sold 22 of those!!!!!)

and my jewelry sets....I sold 8 of those....

So....this show was definitely worth my hard work!

My next show is the 28th - this coming Sunday, but it is also a smaller one, so lets see how well we do....

The biggest sellers at the show was handmade cards made by one of the vendors! She couldn't keep those things long enough!

woodworking was another, crosses, ornaments...people were buying alot of those. And a young girl about 11 years old or so, had done some real simple beading, necklaces and earrings and she sold out of everything by early morning Sunday.

Again the most negative thing was that there were vendors selling "made in china stuff" But oh well, I am so tired of complaining about that!...lol

Anyway it was a good weekend for me!

I hope all of you are having great success also!

Marci

Comments (39)

• sjarz
    16 years ago

Way to go, Marci!!! Nice when all the hard work pays off in the end...hope your next show goes as well!
    Suzan J

• mary_ohio
    16 years ago

That's great news Marcie. We did a craft show at a church on Saturday; we only sold two small items, it was a bust. No one else did well either. We thought it would be good since it was on a busy street and it is a really well-attended church. Oh well, we have another one this Saturday, hoping for better luck. Please look at the pictures, do you think these things will do well at craft shows. Thanks! Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: My Etsy Shop

• shysue
    16 years ago

I am so glad you did so well. We used to make woodcrafts for shows some twenty years ago and I know about all the hard work you put into it. I always think crafters do not get enough money for all the hours they put into their items. That is one of the reasons I am only a hobby crafter now.

Mary, I am sorry to hear your show did not do well. I will keep my fingers crossed that next week's show will more than make up for it.

Keep up the good work girls!

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

WOW - Marci ! -- I'm doing the Happy Dance for you ! You're right - it takes alot of little things to add up to $500 !! LOL Thanks for the report !

Mary --- don't give up. Everybody has to have a clunker of a show now and then . ( Keeps us Humble ~ LOL )
    Fairs are definately a learning experience .. Hang in there and good luck on your next fair !

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Mary - I looked at your purses - they are REALLLLY nice ! They should sell . It's my experience that things under $20 do the best around here in my area. I mark my stained glass PAINFULLY CHEAP .... I probably end up making 5 cents an hour for my labor ~ LOL Maybe you could add a few smaller accessories. That might be an idea . Anyway --- don't be disappointed Good luck this week !

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Congratulations!
    $500.00! How many people work 40 hours at a job they HATE for a company that couldn't care less about them for $500?

You made $500 and enjoyed youeself in the process. That's why I decided many years ago to do this full time!

• oddie
    16 years ago

I am so happy for you! glad your show went so well! would you care to share some photos, dont think I have ever seen a chili angel.
    oddie

• qtiemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much ladies! I am also doing this full time right now christopher....and yes u are right! I love it!

Mary I am so sorry your show didnt go well. but i agree with toomuchglass....little things are what keep my head above water at these shows. I hope this weekend is better for you!

Oddie....here is a pic of a chili angel....

{{gwi:1481836}}

they are made with real chili pods...which you can get very easily here in new mexico...tey are edible...but not after i make the angels...lol

• lynnlynn
    16 years ago

Do you seal the pepper or are the dry enough you don't need to worry about it.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

We're leaving tomorrow (Thurs) to set up in Essex Junction, VT. The show is the largest in VT with over 350 exhibitors from throughout the country. I have a good friend that lives in Wisconsin and he's coming out for the show. It runs Friday thru Sunday. We might stay another night and just sightsee along Lake Champlain on Monday. But they're calling for some snow on Sunday night so we might just head home.
    The space fee is $500 and we're taking two spaces. We'll let you know how it went.

• oddie
    16 years ago

OMG your chili angles are sooo cute! thanks for the photo, a very crafty idea!
    oddie

• williamsburgjane
    16 years ago

Love your Chili angels! Christopher, let us know how your show goes.

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Day one of the three day show. We set up Thursday and didn't have enough time to complete setup so we got there at 8:00 am Friday. The show started at 12:00 noon and we saw a RUSH of people! And the crowd kept on coming until about 6:30. The show ended for the day at 7;00 and we were exhausted! But sales were excellent. We always want to make our space fee and hotel costs on Friday, but this time we tripled those costs!
    So we have two days to go and now we're afraid that we'll sell out by then.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That's great Christopherh, glad you had such a successful day. Sounds like you have found just the right items that people are wanting. Wishing you continued success. Luvs

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Day two is over. We're all but sold out. And we still have Sunday to go. It rained all day Saturday but that didn't stop the people from coming in waves. So far sales are in the $5,000+ range. The professional exhibitors that traveled halfway across the country are all VERY happy. With what we have left, we'll be lucky to pull $500 in sales today.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Finally - A good craft show ! I'm so glad you are exhausted -- LOL -- that's the sign of a happy crafter !

• honeysuckleridge
    16 years ago

Congratulations!! Way to go!!!

ginger

• christopherh
    16 years ago

The show is over. We were able to pull out another $1,000 on Sunday. So the show was very good for us!

The exhibitors at this show ranged from a woman who made holiday cookies and sold them for $2.50 each up to furniture makers! Lots of jewelers of all types and abilities. Some strung beads and others worked with precious stones in settings.

One exhibitor made wind chimes out of old silverware.
    The guy next to us made dog dishes shaped like a bone. They were raised for different types of dogs, from low dishes for toys up to dishes almost a foot off the floor for large dogs. He did VERY well at $25-$40 each. Another sold dog treats she made. I've done many shows with her and my Chow LOVES her "french fries".

But I didn't do these postings to brag in any way. My point is that if you want to do craft shows, there ARE shows where you CAN do very well! And shows of this caliber are all over this great country. This show was in Burlington, Vermont. Not exactly a big city. This is a wonderful way to make money. From small school shows where you can do a couple hundred for extra spending cash up to these major regional shows.

This is also a great way for kids to learn about money. If they make something and sell it they are learning a valuable lesson in life. I had a friend whose daughters started doinf shows at about 10 years old with their parents. Their dad did scroll saw work. After a while both girls learned how to do the scroll saw and started making their own ornaments. Can you imagine the look on their faces when they started selling? Now they're in college and do craft shows in the summer and that's how they make money for when they're in school. Their friends are working at McDonalds for $8 an hour and they're making $1,000 a week at craft fairs! One said she could never work for somebody else. She's a business major and wants to be her own boss.
    Ain't America great???

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Christopher - I don't take your postings as bragging - I really appreciate your posts and enjoy your stories. It's nice to know what all is selling on the East coast. Notice, ladies they are not necessarily Christmas items - that is only one season - I add a few Christmas, but the bulk of my sales are what can be purchased for gifts any time of the year - that's your bread and butter... Brings them back too - I'm sure Christopher will agree with me that your business cards are a huge benifit to your business - I added the list of holiday shows I am doing to the back on a 2"x4" label which allow people to follow me to the different shows...

• lynnlynn
    16 years ago

That is great. I would love to be able to have a show like that. What was your top sellers at this one if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks
    Rachel

• danaoh
    16 years ago

shysue = loved your site - but my reporter eyes found a typo - smoke fee

• christopherh
    16 years ago

I don't have a "top seller". I have only one product. I make custom house numbers. I won't go into how they're made simply because when I go into it, there's someone at the next show doing them. We call them "best seller crafters" They have this "best seller", someone else's "best seller", etc.

I learned many years ago that to be successful you must have as FEW products as possible. And only ONE medium. I became known as the "HOUSE NUMBER GUY" at the shows, so I took that moniker and made it into a sign. I have a friend that just sells soups. She's the "Soup Lady". But when I see exhibitors with soaps, jewelry, wood items, and baby items in the same booth I can tell right away that exhibitor won't do very well. Stay with one medium. Become known for THAT product and you'll do better.

Now about business cards. I haven't used them in over 15 years. I don't do any mail orders so I see no reason to hand them out. And I NEVER tell my customers where I'll be next unless they ask. I'm at the show to sell TODAY, not next week. And there are things you look for in customers. "Do you have a card?" is a way to exit the booth without buying. And the crafter will say "Sure! Here! Bye!"

If you have a list of future shows on your checkout, the customer sees it and says "I'll see you at the next show". Again, you just lost a sale!

The MOST I will do is make up a 10% discount coupon for the next show I'm doing in the area and when I'm POSITIVE they aren't gonna buy today, I'll give them the couppon. I get about 5% of them at the next show, that's all.

Little secrets to selling? STAND UP!!!!!! Unless you are handicapped you shouldn't even have a chair in your booth! I don't. The absolute worst thing you can do at a show is sit and read! Or chat with your neighbor. And unless you're a real craftsman like a broom maker, don't "make things" at the show. The customer isn't impressed. They won't want to "bother" you and will walk right on by. Say hello to each and every customer that stops at your booth. Be friendly. Be sociable. Last Saturday it rained hard all day, but people came to the show. I made it a point to thank them for "coming out in this weather". These little hints can literally double your sales.

• danaoh
    16 years ago

christopherh - thanks for your hints - have read a lot of hints, yours were really good. Makes me realize I should lose the dog scarves and record bowls. I have fabric yo yo flags, cake in a mug and my pride and joy, felted wool sweater purses. I will sell off the flags and mugs, then concentrate on my purses.

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Christopher - once again I stand corrected by you... You've put in the years and I can see where your ideas make sense... I appreciate you and your thoughts - thank you...

• luvs2click
    16 years ago

I agree so much with the STAND UP part. I never sit down. I am busy talking with customers and demonstrating my scrapbooks all day long. If I sit down, there is a long dry spell until I stand up again and greet people and say "have you seen these before?" I am totally exhausted at the end of the day from standing and talking all day (really is amazing how that wears you out)but it's worth it.

Arlene

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Arlene,

You have found the secret. And that secret is "selling is 50 PERCENT of this business".

Chris in VT

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

My first show of the season was today, and unfortunately wasn't all that great. I did all right, but it wasn't quite what I had hoped.

Lots of home party kind of tables - Tupperware, Mary K, Partylite, etc. After I unpacked and set up, one of my neighboring vendors asked me what product I sell. When I said I made it all myself she looked a little dumbfounded. Duh, yeah, there are a few of us die hard crafters still out there, LOL.

A lady behind me was selling the old fashioned braided rugs. They were exceptionally well made, about 24"x40" or so, and they were $50. She had quite a number of sales.

My wall plaques and frames sold well and people were buying them for Christmas gifts. Christmas centrepieces, wreaths, etc (any christmas decor items) didn't move on my table nor anyone else's with similar stuff. That was the disappointing part for me as those are my higher priced items.

The 'big money', from what I could see, was going to one vendor in particular who were selling some lighted flowers branches that they import over from I think she said Taiwan. They looked something like the link below but bigger flowers, came with a vase and then the vase fit in a metal stand. The price was about $70. The imports win again.

Here is a link that might be useful: kinda like this - hot seller

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Pudge,

First of all, don't get disheartened. The show was NOT a "craft show" as we all know it. AS soon as I saw Tupperware, etc That raised a red flag for me. The promoter was "selling real estate" in order to fill spaces. So the B/S (buy/sell) merchant was OK to be there. Those lighted branches don't come from Taiwan but rather Red China. And she was ripping off the customers to boot! I see them at some shows and they are selling for about $25.
    So what do you do? Be more selective in your shows. And always try to attend a show before you sign up. That way you won't be surprised anymore. B/S will be at most shows today. And it's sad. But you can still "jury" the shows before you plunk down your hard earned money. And you do that by attending them first.

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement, Chris. In my area of the world (sparsely populated rural Saskatchewan), a lot - I'll betcha 90% of small craft shows are trade/craft combined. It's just a fact here. What I find interesting is that most of the buy-sell merchants are young women, those who have young families. I suppose it's a convenient way to make some extra cash with little work involved. I know in my small town alone if someone gives up, for example, Tupperware, another is waiting in the wings to take over the territory.

There are a few of the bigger shows that attract the pro's, such as yourself, who travel long distances to partake in a 2 or 3 day sale. They have trailers to haul all their merchandise. I prefer the small shows within an hour or so from home. I pack up my little Ford Escape, leave home at 7 a.m. and am back home by supper. My cost is about $50 (2 tables @ $15-$20, plus gas) and I'll generally make between $300-$500 at a 6 hour show. It's all relative, really.

• dianelea
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the postings...this was an interesting thread! I make cameo jewelry (costume quality, not high ticket) and have been doing very well this year in my niche despite the number of jewelry vendors that now populate the shows near me. I'm glad Christopher reported on the Vermont show as I have been wondering if I should start venturing out of state (I'm in Upstate NY) and from his report it may be worth my while.

I haven't seen much new at the shows here. My next show is in 2 weeks and it's always a good one with alot of variety. I'll post a report later.

PS pudge...I also have a Ford Escape and isn't it amazing how much you can pack into the back?

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Pudge,

You are considered the "backbone" of this business. 90% of crafters fit into your catagory. I just got bitten a bit harder by the bug, that's all. I too have a trailer and travel simply because my town here in VT has only 850 people. The town next to us had a show last Saturday and I had an open weekend so I did it. The space was $25 and we got 12 feet of space. There were 21 exhibitors in the gym. Some did very well and some sold nothing. I made 10 times my booth fee so I consider the show a success for me. But a very nice lady next to me made only $4. And that really made me unhappy as she was a real sweet grandma.

Dianelea,

If you want to see a SUCCESSFUL show with both B/S AND crafts, and if you are anywhere near Albany, NY look into attending the Country Folk Art show in Troy the weekend before Thanksgiving.

I'll be setting up right next to B/S merchants (and they really ARE nice people!) And I have always done very well. Simply because I have something nobody else in the building has. The B/S merchants will compete with each other and I will make sales.

But it's really a great show!
    Chris

• qtiemom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am so glad to hear of all the successes on shows!
    Christopher...you are so so right on the tips you gave! I have been doing these shows for 20 years and the BIGGEST and I mean the BIGGEST tip I can give anyone is STAND UP and GREET every and I mean every customer that is at the table! Even when kids come to look, talk to them, they will then go to the parents and ask for money!
    I am a stickler on that. My Boyfriend of 4 years goes with me and helps me so much. But at the beginning, I had to tell him to stand up, talk to people. NOW, he sees exactly what I mean! I know at the end of the show you will be tired but better to be tired wth a full wallet than relaxed with an empty one!
    The other thing I HATE is to walk up to a table, and see the Vendor with their mouth full of food. OMG that bothers me. When we eat our lunch or what have you, we walk away from the booth one at a time to eat.
    My other advice, always straighten up your display! People will pick things up and then almost always not put them back the way they were....I am constantly, when there is not a crowd, re-arranging and straightening out my displays.
    I have learned in all honestly, that the more items I display, the more I sell. I have things priced from $1.00 to $35.00 and if it wasn't for the smaller priced items at some shows, I'd come out with nothing.
    Anyway, just a few tips too!
    I hope you all do well at your shows.
    I have another show this weekend. It is a smaller one and a first time show for me, so we'll see how it goes. I had nothing else scheduled this weekend so I thought I'd give it a try
    Wish Me Luck!
    Marci

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

Good luck Marci! Talking about boogaboos... I hate seing sellers on the PHONE 0or reading a book!!! - customers walk up and then leave when they don't acknowledge them. I take a tall stool with me. I have to remind myself to sit down once in awhile after talking to the customers and straightning my displays. Tall is easier for me to get into and out of... I will even move the displays around when I see something else being ignored... I am honestly trying to discontinue items that are "cute" but don't pay the freight. If I were to sell all mys mall gag gifts, I would make $30 total - why not save that space for something that will return some $$$. I do have a few gag gifts - in the back - forcing the customer to pass other things that will get their attention and to keep the mass of people from blocking my entire booth!

• christopherh
    16 years ago

Marci, good luck on the show. But you're experienced enough to know how it's done, so you'll do just fine. Give us a report on Monday.

Grandma Bonnie, I agree that you are wasing valueable space with items that are too inexpensive. Make way for the dollars!

We're leaving this morning for a show in Salem, New Hampshire this weekend. 3 Days. It's just outside of Mass and there's no sales tax so we're expecting good sales. This is the biggest show on the promoter's schedule. It was filled in march! This is my favorite promoter. Their website is

www.castleberryfairs.com

I'll report on Monday

Chris

• thelmalee
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this subject. I am a very small time crafter, just retired and hoping to start doing more shows. Mostly I make bags/totes and have just started with hair bows. These sell well as I am usually the only selling them. I only have three shows this past year that are near me but am thinking about venturing out. There is a event lister called craftlister or eventlister that will list all events within a given area. You put your zip code in and find all the events within whatever area you put in with your zip code.

I enjoyed the suggestion to talk to every customer. As I hate pushy salespeople, I never know whether to approach a customer or just let them browse.

Grandma Bonnie, I still want more info on your potato bag, what type fabric and batting, etc.

Happy carfting everyone!

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I am probably the exception but I do not like a chatty salesperson. I want to look at things, not talk. If it's a big show I usually have only so much time to see it all. I don't want to spend my time chatting to the seller.
    In fact, it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if they didn't even say hello. I don't take it as unfriendly at all.
    I especially dislike it if someone tries to show me something or says, 'oh have you seen these?'
    But, like I said, I am probably the exception.

• moviestar1
    16 years ago

i use to do craft shows but i got tired of toting my stuff and having such a small space so i started having open houses and home parties, more lucrative and more room to work with.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I'm sorta with Jenni, I appreciate a nod or hello, or even a "let me know if I can help you". But I am not there to visit them, just their wonderful merchandise. LOL I like to look and then move on so I can cover the whole area in just a couple of hours. I sure would be turned off more by a too pushy salesperson. I can ask if I need help or have a question--and I will see you at the register--if we are both lucky! Luvs

• grandma_bonnie
    16 years ago

When you see a potential customer, a... Holler if you need help is all that is necessary - they'll ask if they have questions - but I think you need to acknowledge everyone if you can... Make eye contact and go from there... Thelma - the potato bags are made of fabric - I don't use flannel or heavy fabric, but anything else is fine and I use 100% cotton batting on the inside. Did you see the turorial?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz