Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glass Blocks

Posted by Wanda_Illinois (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 04 at 9:05

I love these Glass Blocks. Where can you buy them at? How much do they cost?

I went to a craft fair over the weekend and there were lots of them for sale, including plastic blocks. Some were handpainted (the prettiest) and some decopaged. Some had lights inside and some said to place a candle or light behing it. I think $25 dollars for one that comes with no light is a little steep.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glass Blocks

Wanda, are you asking where do you buy the glass blocks "unfinished" to begin decorating? I buy mine at Lowe's. Or are you wanting to buy finished ones?

I have made several. Drilling the hole is the hard part. The drill bit I use is a core drill bit (costs about $25) and I barely submerge the glass block in water while I drill a 1/2" hole in the bottom side of block. Let thoroughly dry. Insert a small (20) string of white mini lights into the glass block. I find a large graphic (or scanned photo), print 2 onto regular copy paper, run through my Xyron which applies a laminated sheet on one side of the graphic and temporary adhesive on the other. Trim to size of your block face and stick one to each side of the block. I then tie a wide ribbon around the sides/edges of the block with a bow on top. Next I usually add some sort of "embellishment" - for instance, a string of snowflakes hanging over the side for a snowman graphic or a small clay ghost used on a Halloween graphic. I charge $25 for mine. But I understand what you mean... if they are plastic and have no lights, I think that is a little high too.

Christine

o

The problem I have is finding a site that offers graphics that can be used for "for sale items". DO you know of any free graphics for this????

o

I bought my first couple of blocks at Lowes (between $3-$4ea), but then found them at (of all places) a brick company a little cheaper.

o

I meant to add that I got my graphic from a calendar. Just scanned it and sized it to fit the block.

o

I guess I'm just paranoid about breaking any copyright laws. Could you sell the block using that pic from the calendar??

o

CM...I'm not sure if it would be ok to sell the block using that pic (or any of the others in the calendar). I made my block for my own use.

I'm thinking I've read something (not sure if it was here or on another forum) about something called HugWare. I think you have to sign up or join...but some people were using those graphics for the block lights. You might could post on the Computer Crafts forum and ask about where to find free graphics.

Good luck!!!

o

Thanks.....I will do some searching....I am on a mission now!!!

o

I have the block, drilled the hole & still cannot figure out the graphic part!!! I have done searches for free graphics with no luck. If anyone can help PLMK!! I will probably end up never finishing this & I hate to have unfinished projects!

o

Wendy....are you making yours to sell or for your own use? Maybe you could use a family photo? I'm fixing to make one for a friend, using an old picture of her Mom & Dad. I've the blocks with pics of pets,babies,etc.

o

I also saw the glass blocks at a craft fair, they had lights inside.I would love to make some to sell as I have lost my job and would love to retire!I am so sick of working for someone else. I would love to know how to make them.. Can anyone help me??

o

I have never seen the glass block. Can someone post a picture or give a web address, so I can see one.

o

Kidd here is a site with a few glass block lights, I think this crafter does a beautiful job!

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.treasuresfromdj.net/images/usasnoman.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.treasuresfromdj.net/glass-lights.html&h=306&w=331&sz=46&hl=en&start=79&um=1&tbnid=_EO7n4oqYsCsNM:&tbnh=110&tbnw=119&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dglass%2Bblock%2Blights%26start%3D60%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dopera%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

Happy Crafting
Oddie

o

I've been making glass block & wine bottle lights for years. The key is to have a good diamond drill bit and to know how to use it on glass.

I found a great company that has good drill bits and an extensive tips section that specially talks about drilling glass block and wine bottles.

AmeriGlas Crafts - http://www.ameriglasco.com

Since I learned how to do it, it is very easy and I have never broken a bottle or block!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hot to Drill Glass Block

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here