Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to use to add weight?Thanksgiving centerpiece

Posted by maymester (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 22, 08 at 8:45

Hi all, new to this forum and I hope you can help. I've been assigned to make 50 Thanksgiving centerpieces for an elem. school "feast', but have only a tiny budget.My thoughts were a scarecrow on a stick (kids could make out of poster board). Then I'd hot glue it to a 8" dowel - (looks like a lollipop) If I turned over a foam bowl(kids would paint) and stuck it in the center, how could we secure it so it wouldn't be top heavy and tip over?
If anyone has other ideas, turkeys, etc., that would be cheap and kid-friendly to make, please share! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to use to add weight?Thanksgiving centerpiece

When my kids were little we did centerpieces by tracing the childs hand on brown contruction paper and then having them decorate them as a turkey. We used kabob sticks and attached them to them. Maybe you could have the kids do a food drive and collect cans of food and use them as a base to tape/attach your decorations to....

o

I don't know how much" plaster of paris" is now but it used to be what I used. you could put each dowel in an applesauce plastic container & pour it in & do this part at home, that is what I did with VBS kids . I just now filled 1 with water & 1/3 cup would do it times 50 kids so about 18 cups P of P. If the dowel is same size as sucker stick it should work. Just make up 1 to see if it will stay up, depends on size of scarecrow. Then decorate the plaster bottom with some fall leaves,real or fake. Would be cute. Styrofoam won't stand up with dowel in it. Would need yet another base & be glued in. Good Luck! Hope you have helpers cutting 50 posterboard circles for the face. you will have blisters if you don't get some helpers!! Jan

o

Thanks to both of you! I like the idea of kids contributing canned goods.
I do have a sack of plaster of paris- messy, but it will do the trick! Now, if I can get the kids to do the cutting parts, this project will be great!

o

Another thought..if you can get some real pumpkins (not real big) for free or donated...you could paint faces on them and make Pilgrim Hats to place on their heads. On the woman-her hat could be made by using the large size Kleenex dinner napkins & folding into her hat. OR..make 1 a Pilgrim man & the other an Indian-complete w/yarn braids & a feather. You could set them on some fake autumn leaves-readily available..or have the kids make paper leaves & color them!

o

What about apples? I guess it depends on how heavy your scarecrows are....

o

Apples and pumpkins sure would be easier, but there won't be any pumpkins left here in late Nov. If I can get a deal on large apples, maybe- thanks for the idea!

o

Here's a pinecone turkey. You could cut feathers out of fun foam or construction paper if real feathers are too pricey. http://www.allfreecrafts.com/seasonal-crafts/pinecone-turkey.shtml

THis Native American family made from cardboard tubes is pretty cute. http://www.bhg.com/holidays/thanksgiving/crafts/kids-thanksgiving-centerpiece/

You could adapt these pilgrims to paper also and add a couple in with the Native Americans. http://www.familycorner.com/family/kids/crafts/cardboard_tube_pilgrim_indian_thanksgiving_crafts.shtml

o

We have tons of big pinecones and the pilgrim/Native American tubes are very kid-friendly! Thanks to all of you- I now have plenty of great ideas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here