Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
concretenprimroses_gw

What are you making for Christmas gifts?

concretenprimroses
14 years ago

I accidentally posted this at TtoT by mistake. But I'll probably get some good ideas there too!

Does anyone know what you are making for gifts yet? I have to start soon or they won't get made, lol. Id love some inspiration. Details would be good to as well!

kathy

Comments (22)

• posieh
    14 years ago

A special gift I am making for some special(all of them are special) Granddaughters and Grandsons is: I am composing a note book for each of them celebrating their own sons or daughters. We have three Great-Granddaughters and I'm making a special notebook (pink) for each of their parents that contains poetry and "readings" or "very short stories" or even unique pictures about girls. And we have two Great-Grandsons and their parents will receive a blue book with such as above entries, only pertaining to boys. One little girls poem I love is: Daddy's Little Girl, "You're the end of my rainbow, my pot of gold, You're Daddy's little girl to have and to hold." etc. Author unknown..I've found lots of poetry on line (do a search) as well as pictures from old Ideals magazines. Hope this gives you some ideas.

• bopeep
    14 years ago

I think I am going to make snuggies for all 6 grandkids and 4 more for our 2 sons and their wives....also doing a small cookbook of my fav recipes.
    bopeep

• katbird
    14 years ago

My oldest grandson who is 7 wants me to make him a green and black quilt.. not sure about his brother or mother or father etc.. lol..

• sorie6 zone 6b
    14 years ago

I'm making snuggies too. Joann's has fleece 60% off this week!!

• elenis
    14 years ago

Looking for some yummy treats for your baskets? Check out Elenis:Playfully Unique Cookies. It's filled with lots of great information on Sugar Cookies , gift baskets, cookies gifts,gourmet gift baskets,gourmet cookies to gift.
    take care and God bless!

Here is a link that might be useful: Playfully Unique Cookies

• citytransplant(zone5)
    14 years ago

Hi,

I usally just lurk here but had to add some of my Christmas gifts.

I am making and painting a pink step stoop for my 14 month GGD.

A clock for my son in law the phyisist that will have math equations instead of numbers.

A pocket doll with change of clothes for anouther GGD,

A sweatshirt jacket for a daughter.

Decorating an apron and putting in a basket with the makings of cookies for a GD.

Painting a tray and cups, putting Granny's famous hot chocolate mix, cookies, marshamallows and fancy spoons with it for another GD

That's all I can think of for now, as I have been busy for sometime now. I have over 30 people, so I have a box that I put finished gifts into through the year. Soon I will take everything out and make lists of what is completed and what is needed.

I need more ideas, so I hope eveyone..please give us some more.

Joan

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I am going to make fleece shawls with pockets,
    Stained glass ornaments
    Fused glass plates with holiday cookies and other treats
    My boyfriend is getting tie tack cuff links and money clip that I am making of fused glass.
    My kids are each going to recieve a stained glass panel.
    Movie night gift baskets with the holiday plates that I am making, some treats and mugs with hot cocoa, movies and a stained glass ornaments. I might even line the basket with the shawls.
    I am also making some fused glass jewlery.

I guess most of my gifts are going to be glass this year, but that is what most of my loved ones have mentioned that they would like. I am always looking for other ideas though.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What a lot of great things! Smicky, is there a pattern for the shawls with pockets? I'll google it too.
    kathy

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

Smickerdoodle...will you put me on your Christmas list too....I think I'd love everything you are making.

I too would like to make the shawls for my cousins. I'm running out of ideas to make for them after many years of exchanging gifts with them.

patti

• smickerdoodle
    14 years ago

I haven't got a pattern but it should be so easy. It is a rectangle of fleece fabric that would hang down to about the waist and wrap around the shoulders like a shawl. In two of the corners...opposite of one another...you sew a corner of fabric for a pocket. You could zigzag the edges of the fabric to finish them off if you wanted to. If I get one done soon, I will post a pic of it.

• pattico_gw
    14 years ago

While I was googling to see what I could find...I saw a video of someone finishing a fleece blanket edge by crocheting around it.

They have a blade for the rolling cutters that makes little holes all the way around instead of cutting off.

They crochet through those holes and rolling the edge while they do it.

A crocheted edge would be pretty around a shawl.

patti

• jazzygardener
    14 years ago

I love painting and making unique crafts. This year we're all making our own Christmas gifts. I found this website www.wildwoodcottage.com and I'm planning on trying the Sparkling Christmas Ornaments.

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I will make a pocket shawl for my mom. Thanks Micki.

I also want to crochet some little toys for some great nieces and nephews. I'm going to use free patterns on this site which also has knitting and a few other crafts with yarn, if anyone is interested.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lion Brand Yarn free patterns

• domehomedee
    14 years ago

I'm making "hobbit" and "fairy" houses. Wish I had a picture to post for you but the one I have finished is outside in the dark! I'm making clay models then making latex molds from them so I can pour them with cement. The pieces are flat and then I morter them to hardware cloth that is formed into a half circle. A little cement paint and glitter and then into a pot for planting with super small plants.
    Dee

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dee that sounds amazing! I'd love to see a pic. You should alsopost a pic at garden junk. Lots of people there have fairy gardens.
    kathy

• amberscu
    14 years ago

I am making snuggies for my grandmother, hubby's grandpa, daughters, cousin's daughter, and my friend's kids. I am making finger tip oven mitts for my MIL and hubby's grandma. I am going to make an iron on transfer Tshirt for my BIL. And, my hubby is getting boxer shorts.

As for the rest, I don't know yet. Oh, my SIL is getting some homemade soap I bought at a farmer's market. Other than that, I need to really start thinking!!

• kudzukween
    14 years ago

I forgot all about the little sewing Jars I made for gifts and to sell. I'm using pieces of an old quilt in a canning Jar lid to use as a pincushion, and inside the Jar I made matchbook type needle keeps. I used printed cardstock(whatever is on sale for .12 at the time! lol)to line the lid, make the matchbook and to glue 2 pieces together and cut slits in to hold thread. I put in buttons, safety pins, and some iron on hem tape. You could use any fabric and some batting. And I think these would be good gifts for the college boys and girls on your list. So I mae some in plaids and paislies..masculine prints...too,lol!
    I'll try to find the exact page on my blog with the how to's and photos if anyone is interested.

oh and i got the tutorial made for how to make a rose from a necktie...check on new page of blog..

kudzu/cherry

Here is a link that might be useful: kudzu's Blog-sewing kits

• concretenprimroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The kits are really cool Cherry! I pictured the pin cushion being on the inside of the jar which could be a good way for people who really don't sew much except the filler woul dhave to be firm to hold the pins upside down.
    kathy

• User
    14 years ago

Does anyone have the snuggies instructions and the finger tip oven mitts?

Post some pics of all you stuff we would love to have a look. Thanks

• amberscu
    14 years ago

I have the links and instructions for the different size snuggies on my blog.

AS for the fingertip mitts: http://theidearoom.blogspot.com/2009/10/oven-hand-mitt-tutorial.html. (will have to copy and paste this link) There are several diffent site out there with the instructions for these. I just liked this one the best.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Mommy Crafts

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks for the instructions. I didn't find the adult sunggie or do you only have the kids? I think I saw one on this board somewhere.

• amberscu
    14 years ago

I have the adult link also. You probably just overlooked it. Here is the direct link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Adult Snuggie Pattern