Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

Are curtains decorations? lol curtains from sheets

kudzukween
15 years ago

Four family Dollar sheet sets..$38 bucks...to cover 3 double window sets and a set of french doors. Way cheaper than buying ready-made curtains. If you can sew a straight line, you can do this...heck you don't even have to sew! Use those clip on drapery pole rings...I'm happy with them.

Comments (7)

• donnas_gw
    15 years ago

kudzukween, they are beautiful!!! They go so well with your paint color which I love. Actually, I do sew and have made many of my own curtains and valances, but never anything like this. I'm curious as to how you did the valance part. I've seen these and have wondered how they are done, but I'm afraid of trying it.

Donna

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much Donna :) I made 4 small valances, which are just a strip of sheet cut about 30" long(however long you want it, it will just hang down lower) I made a casing on the top and bottom of each strip and hung the top and bottom on the curtain rod and moved them really close together. This made the center-middle of the strip gather up. Then I pulled that gather out and pinned it to the top.......cheating, easy, but effective! lol...it was supposed to be Waterfall valances, if you look those up, you'll see how to make them, but I didn't measure right.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

• oddie
    15 years ago

Beautiful job! I have a cool junk store that sells curtain panels some very lg sizes, I covered a old door that was cut to make a head board with one panel used the other to make 2 valances to match, supper cheap $5
    Love your blog! TFS with us all your beautiful crafts
    oddie

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

They look professionally done. Love the way they came out!! Thanks for update. What are you doning over french doors? Can't wait to see pics! Jan

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much ya'll :) I haven't gotten back to sewing yet, maybe tomorrow. I was too tired after being in the heat yesterday and packing and unpacking, and today is Lazy Day..pretty much, anyway,lol.
    If I make curtains in this room again, I will probably go with long tablecloths for curtain panels, and matching place mats cut in half for the valances, that's even less work.
    For the french doors, it's just plain sheet panels with no header.
    These valances are what I intended to make, but I sewed them all the same, like a short curtain with a casing on top and bottom. What I did was pull the center out, fluff it, and pin it to the top of the rod,lol!
    {{gwi:1481545}}

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

kudzukween, Your curtains are awesome. I love them and I also love the paint color too. Thanks for sharing.

• iowagirl2006
    15 years ago

Very nice!

I used chocolate brown flat sheets in my DD's room. She has tan walls with silver accents. I found silver drapery rods and we used the clips/rings to hang the sheets. I used two sheets per window. They look great!

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions