Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tralynn_gw

kitchen decorating dilema, need your ideas

tralynn
14 years ago

I am stuck. I have a big open doorway from my kitchen into my dr. and in the kitchen above the doorway is about one foot of unused space. I would like to hang something up there, because it looks so bare. This area is nine foot wide. My idea is, I would like to hang picture frames up there, but not sure what I want in them. I love making things myself so not afraid of that. I would even do some of my own photography, could be color or b/w. My decorations in my kitchen now are all garden themed, but I think I would like for one of the frames to have a saying something like this "Home, is where your story begins". I have 3 older kids, with 3grand kids and one more on the way any day now. I'm not really sure how I want to do this. I would be using 8x10 frames that are all connected, there are seven of them but wouldn't have to use them all. Any and all ideas welcome.

Thanks everyone.

Comments (9)

• lynndianne
    14 years ago

I made a sign to go above a doorway. I took a left over piece of wood, crackle painted it, decopaged (using the thin top layer of a fancy paper napkin....hydranges and a dragon fly) and then wrote in cursive DREAM and then went back over the lettering with a light layer of pink craft paint. It's lovely. I might (I'm tech challenged) be able to take a picture and post it. I'll have to do it later because I'm getting ready to go to the quilt guild. Lynn meeting. Lynn

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I don't think I'd hang photos so high. Can you see people craning their necks to have a look at them.

If you want another idea what about rub on wall lettering. You could come up with something that discribes your home or you or any saying at all. Eg.--The kitchen is the heart of the home or Love Live Dream.

It comes printed out and you put the lettering against the wall and burnish the paper backing by rubbing with a wallpaper smoothing tool. Lift off the paper and there is your saying. The link below shows how it is done, but I've never used the site so I can't recommend it. Check in your town and see if you can get it locally

http://www.writtendecor.com/?gclid=COGMy-SsuJ0CFQjyDAod7loQjw

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

What if you put a word or a letter in each picture frame? You could make each frame and the area around the letter or word as decorative or as plain as you want.
    kathy

• User
    14 years ago

What about some greenery, exepcially with your garden theme.You can also stencil something up there or put words.

• luvs2click
    14 years ago

I like this idea of using plates for a message - seen on the Garden Junk forum. You could put each word on a plate - 9' seems like lots of room to work with. I'd probably skip the frames and pictures up that high - too hard to see. But plates would make a statement and be unique also. Check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Old plate message

• concretenprimroses
    14 years ago

Luvs to click we think alike! I was actually remembering the plates when I suggested doing that with the frames. But you are right, frames up so high would probably be hard to see.
    kathy

• paulah_gardener
    14 years ago

I have always liked the look of large stenceled sayings on the wall. HOME IS WHERE YOUR STORY BEGIN'S A light paint that blends with your paint. Nothing bold. I saw this one in a magazine once--It was running down a hallway-----there's no place like home. Paula

• posieh
    14 years ago

Have you heard of "Wallies"? They are cutout pictures that are ready to put on your walls. I've seen some at Target but not anything I wanted for my kitchen. Glass and paint stores should have them.

• tralynn
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I do agree that the picture frames would be too much. Too high up. I think I like the idea of painting a saying up there or the one with the plates. Not sure which one I will try. Thanks for all your input.
    Tralynn