Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candywa_gw

HGTV's new show Crafters Coast to Coast

CandyWA
19 years ago

Minnie, what address did you use to write to HGTV? I went to their website and didn't see a web contact address.

I can't stand the nervous camera! It's in a constant state of movement... tipping to the sides, swooping in and out, doing everything BUT focusing on how to make the project.

Thank goodness for fast forward (to get through all the boring

non-craft parts) and for pause mode (which makes it possible to hold it still long enough to see the details!)

I'd like to give the one who edits that show a chill pill... anything to take the chaotic feel of it down a notch.

Comments (10)

• minnie_tx
    19 years ago

I think I went to this page and scrolled down to Viewer Services try that

I tried to watch it today and almost got dizzy.

Here is a link that might be useful: HGTV about us

• CandyWA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank you so much. The filming really is horrible. It makes ya nervous to watch it.

Anybody else feel that way?

• granny2ricky
    19 years ago

I just saw it this morning and hated it too.....like you I thought it was all over the place. Not enough of the craft itself and too much of the artist. I love Carol Duvall's show...so calm and informative. This new one will be cancelled too I hope!

Vikki~~

• CandyWA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I agree, Vikki, if they don't make some serious changes in filming and editing... they'll be cancelled due to not having an audience.

I LOVE to watch craft demonstrations... but I can't watch that show... it makes me feel anxious.

Hopefully they'll get a LOT of negative responses and realize that they've lost sight of the actual goal of the show... which is... or should be... to demonstrate crafts in such a way that the viewer can learn how to make the projects.

I give it a huge thumbs down...

• minnie_tx
    19 years ago

I think they are trying to get the audience that watches the newer decorating makeover shows. I noticed a lot of them are really chit-chat and joking amongst the workers. I like the quieter ones that really show a redo like Room By Room and Joan Stefan. I loved Christopher but he is only on the Do it Yourself channel now.

A few yearws ago there was a program on Discovery called Savour Faire (sorry spelling) with a Nick something. He'd walk you through all the steps he took to have a dinner party. I emailed the channel recently and they said thanks but they didn't have a slot for him now.
    It was a nice quiet but elegant show IMHO

• granny2ricky
    19 years ago

I remember Savoir Faire...it was good Very nice table settings and food to fit the occassion. They always take the good shows off.....

• CandyWA
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well if we all scream loud enough they might hear us.

What bothers me about them cancelling the show is that they might think the show failed due to a lack of interest in crafts. They would be so wrong!

They simply put together a show that is filled with eratic camera moves and obnoxious music. Their close ups (that typically last a nano second) are of the artist... rather than the details of the project.

If I were running that show I'd hire an Ellen DeGeneres type personality who would invite guests into her studio. The camera's would behave! (The current editors would go work for MTV!) And we would be left with an updated version of Carol Duvall. We'd have a host who is fun but keeps the focus on the project.

After all... isn't it the project we want to see?

• gaga3
    17 years ago

Whatever happened to our Queen of craft, Carol Duvall. I hope the powers that be bring her back someday soon.
    I continue to watch the re-runs on television.

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

The Carol Duvall Show is no longer in production. We first heard it was her choice to retire, and then got conflicting stories. She posted a letter on the HGTV Boards about it not being her idea to 'retire'. but the direction the crafting community as a whole was shifting. I have watched Carol since she was on the morning news show years ago, and was so happy to see her on HGTV. I would rather watch reruns of her show than that stupid excuse for a show that they used to call 'Crafters Coast to Coast' and changed it to 'That's Clever', probably a ploy to trick the viewers, since the way they do the show was about the stupidest thing I've ever seen, because there is no way I'd get in front of a camera and act the fool the way they wanted some of these crafters to do it. I had also read on the HGTV board that they would show her reruns for a year and then drop it completely, so we're still up in the air about what will happen. Here's a link to a letter posted on her HGTV website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Carol Duvall

• toomuchglass
    17 years ago

I HATE that camera work . I feel like I'm only getting half the instructions. gggrrrrr.....

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES