Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomuchglass

I'm experimenting with RESIN ..

toomuchglass
15 years ago

I've seen just about every craft there is .....

( ok -- that's a lie - but it feels like I did ! ) *snicker*

Something made me think about clear resin . It's been done to death in hokey stuff ... I never want to see another scorpion encased in resin . But seeing fused glass got me thinking . In resin ,the different layers \- the odd things that can be imbedded \- colors , got me so curious. Polymer clay can be made to look like real life gems to be encased \-\- the ideas are endless. You can color resin , make layers , it's easy to drill and have so many options. I even bought the liquid latex to glop around forms to make molds. This is a new adventure. I don't know if anyone is interested \- but I'll keep you informed !

Comments (8)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

You are so adventurous Toomuch. I like the idea of being able to make molds for it. Please do keep us informed on how your experiments go. Luvs

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

I came across some neat molded resin ideas a while back when I was looking for an idea for letter beads. I don't care for the word choice used in some of these pendants, but I like the concept.

Here is a link that might be useful: Resin word beads

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

Yes..please show us your experiments doing this! I have always been facinated with resin-in fact when I did my entire bathroom countertops in a stained glass mosaic..I really wanted to pour resin over the top but was scared to try it! Besides-the 3 glass shops I went to, inquiring if I could use stained glass on my counters.. all said they would highly doubt it. That's all I needed! I did it, love it & it's held up just great & that was done back in 2002. Whatcha' think..could I have poured resin on top? I guess my BIG question is: how do you prevent it from rolling off the edge of a surface and onto the floor?

• toomuchglass
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I made a stained glass picture of a horse and poured resin over it --- it worked great and gave it a "fused" look. I had edges around my frame , so I didn't have to worry about it dripping off the edge. I read somewhere that you tape cardboard under the edges so the stuff doesn't drip off - then you just sand the drips off when it's dry. I'll experiment for us :)

• alass
    15 years ago

Be careful with it. I used to mke frig magnets from dough that I dipped in resin. Didn't always take the time to wear protective gloves and ended up developing a skin allergy making things -most veggies such as potatoes, any kind of cleaner- caustic to my hands. Miserable and I sure wish I had worn those gloves.

Devonia

• kudzukween
    15 years ago

I've been making spoon pendants with it. And I bought some very small candy molds to try to make some beads with, these candy molds came with a childs candy making kit, so they are a lot smaller than the regular candy molds. I've read articles about using soap and candy molds, and since I have the resin I want to try it one day soon. I've seen them made with candy and cake sprinkles, those are cute, but I'd like to try beads and glitter. I understand you'd be able to drill a small hole for a bail or tiny eyescrew to hang them with, or add that to it before it hardens. I had a problem with mine staying tacky due to the high temperatures and humidity we have here, and emailed the company of the brand I use, and it was suggested I spray with a clear acrylic spray. My DH bought me Rustoleum Crystal Clear, and it worked great. I've seen some with dried rosebuds and babys breath...here is a spoon I made with my grandchildrens photos.

Here is a link that might be useful: kudzus album

• sharon_fl
    15 years ago

FYI...just saw a show on DIY yesterday where they resined the top of a bar in their family room. After pouring the resin over it-many air bubbles appeared. To solve that-they used a propane torch & ran it evenly & fairly closely- across the bar-bubbles were gone!

• oddie
    15 years ago

I used it over a slate welcome sine I made years ago for my sister, you can also use a blow dryer on low air to help get out any bubbles.
    I would love to try makeing one of kudzus spoon, they are so cool!
    please show us what you have made toomuchglass, Iam so interested!
    oddie

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor