Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lunchlady1948

Help on Making Jewlery Christmas Tree???

lunchlady1948
17 years ago

Can someone please tell me how to make one of those Christmas trees you make out of old jewlery?? My pals mom dies and she inherited all of her mom's costume jewlery and we thought it would be fun and a nice memory to make a tree.

Can anyone help us out???

Comments (6)

• honeysuckleridge
    17 years ago

Please have the jewelry valued before using it for one of these projects. You wouldn't believe how much some of the costume jewelry is worth these days. I collect and create the "Jeweled Trees/Creations" I love the kitchey aspect of them.
    Very easy to do.
    Plywood(I use everything from 8x10-12x16 depends on the amount of jewelry)Foam core is too light weight for this project.
    Frame is optional(pick one up at a yard sale/thrift store etc..and have your wood cut to fit)
    Fabric to cover wood
    Thumb tacks
    string
    E6000 glue
    Jewelry(all backs removed)
    large tweezers
    paitience and fun

cover wood with fabric,so the fabric is very taut.(Some folks use Christmas lights in theirs but I'm not crazy about that version.)
    Thumb tacks and string to map out your shape(remove this when shape has been completed with jewelry)
    Layout your jewelry before glueing it down make sure that each piece fits just so. Remove backs before laying it out,saves lots of time and energy.
    Then go for it...no rules just lots of fun and creativity.

I've added a link to show you some of my work and collection..pictures 57-67

good luck and have fun!!
    ginger

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of Jeweled Creations

• lunchlady1948
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Ginger, I loved your site. I am going to show it to my friend I have discribed the trees to her but she can not imagine them in her mind now she can see your beautiful ones. If you were going to add the lights how would you suggest doing that??? I like them better with out, but think my friend will like the lights.

Thank you again for posting to me

• honeysuckleridge
    17 years ago

thank you for your compliments!!

If you are going to put lights with your trees...make sure you have in mind, before covering the wood with fabric, your layout. You will need to drill your holes for the lights before covering the board in fabric. Drill your holes, then cover the board in fabric, using an exacto to x out the fabric for the light holes.Then using glue and duct tape. Glue the light base into the each hole(using the tape to keep the cord flat to the board). If you glue the light socket into place, when one light goes out all you have to do is replace the light and not the whole string of lights.

I'm a terrible teacher...I hope this made some sort of sense.

ginger

• bamasue
    17 years ago

Ginger, your work is just exquisite!

• mariend
    17 years ago

This is exactly was I was looking awhile ago. I too have some jewlery I don't want to just toss and at farm auctions I can pick up so much for so little!
    thanks

• tjgritts_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I would love to see some pictures of your trees Ginger but I dont know how to find you .. my mother has been collecting jewels for years and always planned on doing one ... she now has alzhiemers and has given me the jewels. I want to make her one for her birthday in a couple of weeks but am unsure of what i am doing .. please if you can help by getting me a link to pictures. I would be forevery greatful.. Tracy

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?