Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making a cornice out of styrofoam -

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 07 at 19:46

Have you ever done it ? I've seen it done on so many craft and decorating shows ... I want to take the plunge.
I have 3 windows together that I want to make one for ... but it'll be 8 ft. long !!! HAve you ever made one ??
I got so hyped up after watching this video .

Here is a link that might be useful: Video on cornices

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making a cornice out of styrofoam -

My first question was what is a cornice ---now that I see what it is, it doesn't look hard to make at all. I've never made one, but it almost looks like you could take a piece of formed styrofoam, for example, a piece that a stereo or vcr was cradled in (L shape) and just trim off the pieces you don't want, cover it and install....
dang it toomuch, now I might have to try one of those....lol.

o

I had seen allot of the shows using lightweight plywood and making a box, then covering it with batting and fabric.

I hadn't seen these kits before. They sure look nice the way they have decorated them. And would be very light weight. Do you think you are going to try one?

Be sure to let us know how it goes, okay?

Luvs

o

Well -- I couldn't stand it anymore. I'm making one ! I need one that's 8 feet across .... I hated to "piece" it together - so I went to Home depot and bought a 4 x 8 ' sheet of styrofoam insulation ! It's even prescored - so it cuts like a dream ! I Assembled the structure last night ... now I have to do the fabric part of it. It's actually easy so far !

o

Please show photo when done, I need two for my family room was going to have hubby make them out of wood and use a wall paper border I found to cover them but your idea sounds better!
wonder if wallpaper will stick to styrofoam?
oddie

o

I know this post is kinda old but I just joined in and wanted to share. QVC sells the kits and also the kits for decorative pillow. Check it out. I have both but have yet to make them.... soon....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here