Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have you cut your own mats for pictures?

Posted by marti8a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 18:58

If so, do you have a mat cutter or is it possible to do it without one? If you have a mat cutter, what kind should I get & approximate cost. I figure I will cut a few mats now & then maybe not again for a couple of years so hate to spend a lot of money on it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have you cut your own mats for pictures?

I have cut them before without a mat cutter but it's pretty hard to get a crisp edge. If you're using white it might not be so noticable but if you use any other color, the white from inside shows through and any imperfection shows up. I used a metal ruler/yardstick and a very sharp xacto knife. I found it's easier to cut with the xacto knife straight up instead of trying to get an angle cut as it is impossible to hold the knife at the same angle all the way around and then your white has different widths and is very noticable.
Arlene

o

Thanks Arlene. I finally found a couple of websites & blogs with directions, and went to Hobby Lobby last night to buy the mats & cutter. But the lady who worked there told me they use a razor blade, so I didn't buy the cutter. The mats turned out great, but now I can't figure out how to secure everything in the frame without buying a point driver.

If I thought I would be doing this a lot, I would buy a point driver, but for a cheap picture, it isn't worth it. Originally, the pic was secured by staples, but my staple gun doesn't get close enough to do any good. So that is what I'm working on now.

o

VEry thin small nails about 1/2 -3/4 in. long will work if the wood of frame isn't too hard.
better if antique frames with holes from long ago!!LOL. Jan

o

I was just watching an episode of Design on a Dime. The lady was cutting out a mat and she said for clean edges, a finger nail file is your best friend. Hope this helps.

o

I think I've figured it out. I've made a few frames now and cut a few mats and they look ok. I am getting a frame clamp and joiner from my father-in-law which will make it easier too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here