Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariend

craft shows

mariend
15 years ago

I did post on Kt, but lots of craft sales here.

Comments (12)

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

...are you asking a question?

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

I just checked my calendar and I have 15 shows this season - starting next week-end ( a three day horse event ) I have nine shows in the next eight weeks!!! Hardly any Christmas items - just gift items - nostly the Potato Bags - I just ordered another 40 yard bolt - OH - by the way - just to make your dasy - ONLY 95 MORE DAYS UNTIL CHRISTMAS!!!!

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

grandma bonnie, what are potato bags???? If I may ask.

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Potato ags are made of fabric with a cotton batting in the middle - you cook potatoes (corn and other vegetables too) in the bag - they turn out fully cooked (of course...) and are drier. The potatoes have that baked in the oven texture - the corn on the cob is perfectly cooked - moist - cooked in 2 minutes! You can also reheat tortillas as well as rolls. I've been selling them for two - three years now and they are flying out my booth - I have started using vibrant colors/patterns and they are selling like crazy! I just picked up native american, dogs, horses, babdana fabric, hunting, fishing - fall designs... My DD says the colors/print are what sell them - PLUS.. my customers keep coming back for more (for gifts mostly - I sell them for $6) and they are my best salesmen. lol I can post a pic in the gallery if you like, but you can Google potato bag and see what they look like...

• old-vt-crafter
    15 years ago

We've done 28 shows so far this year with 13 to go. We're going every weekend until Dec 20th. Then it's six weeks off to vegatate in front of the woodstove. Our '09 season starts the last weekend in January.

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

lol - thank goodness I can take it easy after Christmas. I have to get my neck coolers made as I will be doing the county fair this year and I will need to have 5000 ready to do to satisfy the two week run of the fair as well as sell locally at the Farmer's Markets and the other summer shows I do - the Porterville air show is the most fun and a good money maker...PLUS only cost me $70 for the one day event! I have to remember to take someone with me next time to help me though - too much for one person!

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

grandma bonnie , Thanks for letting me know about the potato bags.. I have made the neck coolers for my family not to sell but made enough for all my sons friends to use as most are in construction work and it surely has been a very hot summer here in Northern Kentucky.. My next project is the potato bag....I am always looking for new ideas for girls I work with for Christmas gifts.. and some for my family.. I am also working on my Christmas swags , trying to get a jump on them for the Christmas season..looking for some good garland for this year. I am always looking for some new ideas for my grandsons'grave for Christmas and also my family members..You ladies always have some great ideas. Thanks
    Huggybear

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

huggybear - contact me - I have a tutorial for the potato bag in my webshot account... My e-mail is grandmabonnie@nospamcharter.net just remove the nospam in the address if I can help you.

• danaoh
    15 years ago

grandma bonnie - have you figured your cost per bag? Just wondering what you make when you sell it for $6. I usually don't count my time, it is a hobby, but the cost of materials is what I am interested in. Do you have a resource for Warm and Natural other than a fabric store?
    Made my first bag for me, could not believe the difference in the potatoes. My husband was amazed - asked if that is how the restaurants do it, except this was better. The only thing is I did not wash the fabric first, thought it smelled like "new" fabric for a brief moment. Do you wash your fabric first?

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Let's see... The cost of the material and the batting is $2.39 per potato bag... I buy my material at
    http://www.wholesalequiltbatting.com/warm.htm I pay $94 for 40 yards - The price went up so I bought 2 - 40 yard bolts... I need to raise the price of the bags to $7 as a selling price... I just went from $5 to $6, but the price of my supplies just keep going up! Luckily it takes less than 1 and a half minute to put it together...

• huggybear_2008
    15 years ago

grandma bonnie do you just cut them all out at the same time and then put them all together and then sew them all. Almost like working on a line in a factory LOL... What do you charge for you neck coolers? if I might ask..
    what is your cost on them.. I found the first couple i made I use toooooo! much soil moist crystals.. so I soon learned to pay attention to directions..

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Yes, I do make them assembly style... I probably have another 75 ready to be put together - I'm waiting for the batting - ordered it & paid for it almost two weeks ago. Last time I will do business with this company... I sell the neck coolers for $5 - there is under $ .75 invested and I do them assembly style too... Takes me less than a minute total to put the coolers together... yep... More is NOT better with the polymer crystals...