Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pixistix_gw

Is there a product?

pixistix
16 years ago

that you can design specific lettering graphics on your computer . . . print it out and adhere/decoupage onto glass or tile? I suppose the closest thing I'm looking for would be decals that can be rubbed onto surfaces without the background being visible, but I would like a personalized message in a pretty font - not something I have to press on one letter at a time. Anybody know what I'm trying to say? Thanks a bunch for any input!

Comments (11)

• shysue
    16 years ago

They say that water slide decal paper is the thing to use. I have not tried it yet, but plan on doing so. I have heard good things about it. You can buy it in clear.

Here is a link that might be useful: Water Slide Decal Paper

• pixistix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for that link, shysue . . . looks like exactly what I need!

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

I've used it! It was not great. And every printer will be different as to how it sets down the ink. My epson printer did a much better job than my HP. The other thing I found was the ink is easily smeared.
    I used it a couple of years ago so maybe they have improved it tho.

• surfergal
    16 years ago

check here too

Here is a link that might be useful: home made rub ons

• maryanntx
    16 years ago

I've used the waterslip decals and had very good luck with them! After printing them I spray with a clear sealer and then let dry. Then I put in water as per the directions and apply them. After they are thoroughly dried I spray again with the clear sealer.

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

I have had good luck with the waterslip decals, but like MaryAnn said, you have to seal it. I use 3 - 4 very light coats of clear Krylon spray paint.

I let the printed page dry, then spray a coat and let it dry, repeat.

I am not sure how well they would stand up to something that gets heavy use, like a mug or coaster, but for a decorative item, they work great.

I cram as much as possible onto one page then cut them out. I always print a test copy onto plain paper first, so I don't waste the decal paper. It isn't cheap, and it is kind of hard to get - I can only order it. I have never found it in stores.

Make sure you get the right kind - they have clear and white (I use clear) Also make sure you get the right type for your printer - Laser or InkJet (I use InkJet)

You can buy the "sealer" anywhere. Just any clear spray paint will work.

Double check the size of the paper. I have found that the paper from Bel Decal is just a smidge larger than 8.5 x 11. I had to trim it just a little for it to feed through my printer right.

This is my waterslip decal project - I bored out a 4 wick candle, added a votive cup and put on the words using waterslip decal.

• shysue
    16 years ago

Iowagirl, I love your candle. The words on it really add to it and it looks great. I need to quit procrastinating and order some decal paper.

• pixistix
    Original Author
    16 years ago

oooooooh, I love your candle, iowagirl! Thanks everyone . . . I will definitely get some of the paper. What I have in mind is just decorative, so I think it'll work great :)

• grandma_bonnie
    9 years ago

This is way late, but I user a Silhouette Cameo to make my stencils -I use them to etch with my sand blaster... ...in fact I make plates with words too with it... I'll find a picture... I am no longer doing the redneck wine glasses regularly but still do special orders for weddings etc.

• june_nd
    9 years ago

WOW!!! I haven't been on for quite awhile. Didn't know all of these new products even existed.
    Keep posting these ideas. I love them!!!

• steiconi
    9 years ago

clear or sheer labels might work for some uses, too. You can even put a second, unprinted label on top of the printed one for protection.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022