Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzukween

album purse project

kudzukween
15 years ago

Here is how far I got on this purse project. The DH did the cutting and measuring, luckily I'm also a quilter so I have a couple self healing mats, and they came in real handy. DH used a regular x-acto type craft knife, the vinyl cut easy, the album was a bit tougher, but it is do-able ! I can't go any further because I mis-placed the transparent thread. I trimmed the worn out edges off the album cover, and DH decided how big the purse should be. I then cut the back into 3 pieces; 2 sides and a bottom. I also cut out some blue card stock that matched to line the album cover with, and used tape dots for scrap booking photos to hold them on. The album itself will be as is.

Comments (5)

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

OH Wow, That is so cool. I've never seen anything like that. What a very clever idea. Please post a pic again when you get it completed.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Can't wait to see the finished project. In my mind, I was thinking the record was going to be molded into a U shape for the bottom and then the sides attached somehow. Now you know why I need pictures! LOL Hope you find that thread--don't you just hate it when you do that to yourself? I do it all the time. Luvs

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found the thread! But...when I took it out of the package, it wasn't as thick as I thought it would be. Any suggestions on using it in a sewing machine? The package says use for top,and use cotton or poly blend in the bobbin. It's Wrights EZ Quilting invisible thread, for machine quilting. What will happen if I put it in the bobbin,too? I really didn't picture it with a white or beige thread,just clear to match the vinyl.
    I found another album purse..it looks pretty easy. You melt the album, like making an album bowl; that's the bottom of the purse. The top of the purse is a fabric tube, sort of like a duffle bag, with a drawstring closure. I just need to go back to the photo and see how they attached the record part to the fabric part.
    Maybe tomorrow I can try to sew it,lol.
    Hey Luvs... I saw a purse made with an album melted over a 4x4 piece of wood, and it was set into the bottom of the purse for stability...it was U-shaped! They used the front and back of the album for the front and back of the purse, the record album itself was the bottom. I almost tried it that way,worrying about the bottom of my purse sagging :)
    I found some suede lacing when looking for the thread...I was looking for that last week, but I can't remember what for now!

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

well.......this purse is on hold. I can't find my older sewing machine that works great. All I can find is the newer one that the bobbin keeps tangling up in. Just bad timing is all, I'll find it, and finish, and come back later with the purse:)

• kudzukween
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Finished! Next time no sewing machine, just a hole punch and lacing. The transparent thread was able to go on the bobbin and I could sew it, after I put some painters tape over the feed dogs and used my machine's plastic foot.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kudzu's Blog

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!