Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

sheri....my lightbulb gingerbread man

donnas_gw
15 years ago

My first time making these. I thought he turned out right cute. Should have primed the bulb first. I think it took at least 4 layers of acryllic paint (I used Apple Barrel's Spice Brown). I put the hanging cord in the back.

Comments (15)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Very cute!!Love the hat & cute bow too! I just made a pumpkin. the part that screws in is the stem then I just painted whole bulb orange 2-3 times & then painted screw part green & leaves going down little over an inch. painted on eyes in shape of candy corn, little nose & zig-zag mouth, I made faint lines around the bulb in green to look like the creases in a pumpkin, do on each side of face 1st. Eyes get couple of dots of white in center & nose a little curve of white. I'm thinking you are looking at the rest of bulbs sitting there & thought you might want to try a pumpkin!! Anyway he's a cutie!! Jan

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I didn't think of trying a pumpkin. It's a wonder, since I love doing fall stuff LOL. I used too much hot glue on the left heart and you can see it. I won't dare take it off because if I do, the paint will come off with it. He's staying "as is" lol. I used Sobo glue on the ric-rac. That's what I should have used for the hearts. Here is the link for the crafts which Sheri posted a few weeks ago.

http://childmade.com/craft%20ideas.htm

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Donnas, is the glue the slight whitish spot. Can you take a toothpick & just touch it with the brown paint. I think that would hide it. I didn't even notice until you mentioned it. Thanks for the link. I'll go there now!! Jan

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sunnyca, I did just as you said using a toothpick and painted the hot glue. It looks alot better now. Thank you!!

• leveta
    15 years ago

He's a cutie...Where did you find the little hats? It is so cute....A gingerbread Gordon Ramsey....LOL...

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

leveta, I made the little hat myself. The instructions are on the website that Sheri posted earlier, and I posted it again above.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

donnas..he is so cute!! I've never seen one like this before and I like that it's different. I will check out the website too...Thanks for sharing 'him' with us.

• oddie
    15 years ago

Soooo cute! love the hat and the hearts, I like to spounge the paint on myself, gives some texture to the bulb, just something different you might like to try, but yours is cute just the way it is, TFS!
    oddie

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Very cute! LOVE the little hats. You did a great job, Donna.

I painted cardinal lightbulbs a couple of years ago. Having done penguins before that, I decided to spray on a base coat first, since I had to make 24 of them. That worked really well, it saved me hours and hours of base coating. I wired up the tops and hung them from a tight cord out in the yard (so they didn't all slide together) and then sprayed 2 light coats of red on them. Then when they were dry, I brought them inside where I sponged on a coat of red acrylic, leaving a little of the base coat showing. It gave them more dimension and a nice "tooth" for painting on details.

Another glue that is good for these kinds of projects is E6000. It holds really fast and stays pliable. However, it's not AS fast hot glue and things could slide a bit if you're not real careful.

• oddie
    15 years ago

just wanted to add the round fat bulbs makes real cute pumpkins, a group of them looks real cute just setting in a basket for decorating.
    oddie

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sunnyca and oddie, do either of you have pictures of a lightbulb pumpkin that you can share? Actually I have another one painted black right now. Was going to try the penguin, but I'm thinking of a bat. I'm not sure if a bat would be suitable as a lightbulb craft. I do have some solid black card stock paper that I could cut the wings out of. Just don't know how I would decorate the rest of the bulb LOL. I can't come up with these ideas myself. I find something online (sometimes in magazines) and if I like it, I try and make it myself. I do not make them to sell, I only make them for me.

• leveta
    15 years ago

I'd like to see the pumpkin ones too...

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I took a pic so will see if Kudzukween will post 1 more. She's been such a help but I still have to get pics organized into an album on Kodak so can get it over to Photo Bucketthen can do it myself, hopefully! Book with camera is about camera, the directions on the Kodak site don't make sense to me.Hope to get DD over here again soon. So I'll put it on & send to Kudzukween. I know how it is when idea is fresh in your mind you want to do it!! Right!!Jan

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

Your gingerbread is soo cute!!! You did an awesome job on him. Love his hat!!!

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Kudzuween came through for me & posted it & I wrote direction for the lines around the bulb to make it look more like pumpkin. Forgot how she posted it Cute pumpkin bulb by sunny ca. I think! Have fun Donnas!! Jan

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz