Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
like I need another project!

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 15:15

Tried felting last night. Bought a 100% wool sweater at thrift store, put it in machine in hot water. Really cool. Plan on cutting out a bag from it tonight. Also bought pillowcases there for lining.

Went back to day and bought 5 more, including a 2X cape type thing - so much area! Can't wait to really finish one.

Has anyone else done this and do you sell them and how much?

The sweaters for about $4 each.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: like I need another project!

No, but I think I'd like to try felting or wool rooving. It looks rather easy. Would you please comment on how you found it to be - simply easy, a bit hard, way too hard, I give up? Your thoughts would certainly be appreciated. Thx.

Sal

o

I've never done Felting ... but seen it on TV Craft shows and at Craft fairs. It's amazing how that is done. From what I saw ... items done like this were expensive and not selling really good. Now that I know all the work that goes into them - they are worth every penny . I wish I Could be of more help !

o

Hi,

I've done quite a bit of felting - but generally I knit up an item, then felt it.

When I do use sweaters or other knitted items to "make felt" I just treat them like fabric afterwards... so whatever I can do with a similar fabric, I can do with the "felted" sweater. The 2X cape thing is great! It would have so much surface area! I look in the men's section when I am looking to felt and look for the big men's sizes.

I haven't sold any felted items, but I've given them as gifts and they have been well received.

There was a picture online of a big rug that looked like one of those potholders we used to make in Girl Scouts, with the loops... it used strips of felt from sweaters and blankets. I have a cedar chest full of these strips waiting for me to get in the mood for a big project :)

If you are a knitter or crocheter - it is also worthwhile to buy sweaters made of a great yarn and "unknit" them... I have skeins of cashmere I have unwound from thrift shop sweaters - the price would be prohibitive to buy as yarn... but is a good deal when you unwind them yourself. Not all sweaters lend themselves to being unwound, though... some are cut at the edges rather than being made with a single strand of yarn per piece.

If you are going to felt a lot - consider felting within a zippered pillowcase. Those errant fibers that end up in the washwater can turn to felt within the water pump... bye bye washing machine!

Diane

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here