Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huggybear_2008

What Christmas crafts are you guys making this year??

huggybear_2008
15 years ago

I was just wondering what kind of crafts everyone is making. I am doing the Christmas swags, and some smelly jelly, but I was just looking for something new.. I like to make some neat things for grandson's special teachers.. and my girls at work.. I thought of the potato bags would be a good one.. not sure if I am going to get into any craft shows this year or not.. but if I do I would like some neat things to make.. so any ideas would be a big help. my profits from craft shows...pays for my Grandson's school tuition...

Huggybear

Comments (9)

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

So far I have made Worry Box Books for each of my family. It's a box with a cover like a book and inside the box is a tablet and pen on which to write down your worries, then close the book and give the worries to God.Here is a picture of one:

I've made a 25 Days Until Christmas box with numbered drawers for my adult daughter. Day 25 is on the top. Each little drawer contains a small gift. I do some kind of Advent thing for her every year. Last year, since Snickers is her favorite candy, I made a long red ribbon with 25 loops and a candybar in each loop. The year before I wrapped 25 little numbered gifts, a few marked "any day" that she could open whenever she wanted. I hope to make some "Grandma loves you" pillowcases for each of the 5 grandkids this year, and maybe some Miracle Cream for everyone.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love your box.. we have what we call a God Box at our house.. and when we are worried about something we write it down and turn it over to God by putting it in the God box. I love your box it is sooo pretty and sure gives me ideas for my daughter in laws... and daughters.. and neices , and lady friends.. LOL
    Thanks.. I think I will try some of the potato bags also..
    Huggybear

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

Come on ladies...what is everyone else crafting for Christmas?

• sjarz
    15 years ago

Linda - that God Box is awesome! Any chance you could show us what the inside looks like and/or give some more detail on how you put it together?
    I have made Christmas spiders so far and that's it - really got to get it together!
    Next I'm going to work on some bedspring snowmen made famous last year by Luvs or Bonnie - apologies I can't remember which one of you incredibly talented two came up with that one.
    Other than that, haven't been overly inspired yet. Made borax ornaments last year, loved them and they were fun to make, didn't sell a one, however.
    Looks like two craft shows for me this year, was going to go to third but it was $80 for the space which is a bit much.
    The two I will attend are $15 and $20 for the spot, which I don't think is unreasonable.
    Suzan J

• blessedbygod
    15 years ago

Awesome God box great for a gift how did you make it? If you can show.

• huggybear_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am making my Christmas swags, I found some really good garland at Hobby Lobby and so I have started them.. I thought Oddie made the bedspring snowman and such.. I know the ones she did were soooo cute... but heck I have no idea were to find bedsprings.. LOL WE have a local auction that is on line and I have been able to bid and win some Christmas silk flowers to use on my swags which will be a lot cheaper and they are really nice..I am still in the summer mode, make salsa but the garden is about coming to an end.. except for the peppers and now they are really going to town.. LOL. I love the God Box.. and I think that is something for the girls at work..Thanks

• sjarz
    15 years ago

You may be right there huggybear, and if Oddie see's this and says, yes that was me that created those stunning snowmen, I apologize for misquoting the creator - the mind is slipping these days, I swear.
    Suzan J

• lindaohnowga
    15 years ago

Here is what the inside of my book box looks like:

These are my instructions:
    The poem says:

Write down your worries,
    fears and doubts.
    Close the book
    don't let them out.
    Release them to God
    by saying a prayer
    and let our dear Lord
    take them from there.

I used a google image search of "head of Christ" graphic. You could use "praying hands" instead or graphic of your choice.

For the box part, use a 6 1/2 X 11 sheet of white cardstock. Score all sides at 1 inch. Score the short ends again another inch. From short ends, cut all 4 corners in to the main score line. Fold, score edges, glue to form a box.

Cover: Cut off the 1/2 inch of the 8 1/2 to make a rectangle 8 X 11. Score at 5 and 6 inches, forming the "spine" of the book. I used 3 layers....printed outter cardstock, white cardstock, then another printed cardstock. Sandwich a ribbon for tieing the book shut between the two inner layers. Glue bottom of box on the right hand side of the book cover. Insert a pad of paper and a pen in the box. Decorate the book cover any way you like. I made a layered and embossed cross.

My notepads I got at Staples and they are 6 X 9 inches in size.

• sjarz
    15 years ago

Truly gorgeous, Linda! I am so in awe of your project, and hope you won't mind if I try to make something similar. Thank you very much for posting your how - to tutorial, even fumble thumbs like myself can follow your wonderful directions.
    Really very beautiful, you should be so proud of what you've created there.
    Suzan J