Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

Old World Santa CD Ornie

shysue
16 years ago

I just posted this on another forum, and realized I had never posted it here. I made this last year. I used Wally World's red oxide spray primer on both sides of the CD and then used copper hammered paint on the front. The rest is self-explanatory, I think.

Comments (21)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Ooooh! That's so pretty!! ha I really love it. I've got a whole stack of old CD's and a book of vintage graphics. hmmmmmm Adding it to my project list. :) ~Anj

• minnie_tx
    16 years ago

That is really very professional looking thanks for sharing with us.

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Wow, I love it!!! How creative!!! That's an aweome pic of Santa.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Very pretty, I like that. Not necessarily self-explanatory though (for us dummies). What did you use to punch the holes in the CD? Last time I tried that, it cracked all over.

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Craftlady, I used a Croc-o-dile to punch the holes. Those things are amazing! It cut through the CD like butter. It also sets eyelets. I got it at Jo-Ann's with a 40% off coupon. It has certainly saved me from some of the pain of carpal tunnel!

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry I mispelled the "Crop-a-dile".

• oddie
    16 years ago

I have to say that is the most beautiful cd I have seen yet! great job! if you had not said it was a cd I wouldnt have know.
    craftylady I have made holes in cds useing a very hot nail, or anything with a sharp point that can be heated, works for me.
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Thanks for the tips on making the hole, much appreciated.

Sal

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Shysue! Oh, how lovely is this..including your framing!! I'm a nut for Old Santas but what really has piqued me is the copper paint! New product? Could you please 'splain about that? I must mail off most of my gifts and hate the bow thing so am always looking for something different to grace the package top. This is perfect!

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bamasue, the copper paint has been around for a couple of years. It is Rust-oleum Hammered, and it becomes textured after you spray it. There are several colors to choose from as well. I love using it.

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Oh, thanks for your quick response! I just have to go find Hammered now! Shysue, how did you finish the backs and the hole? And is that a bit of gold or silver leaf near Santa's beard? I dearly love what you have done!! You are now my package topper hero!!

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bamasue, thank you for your kind words and I am so glad you can use this idea. I love sharing crafts with others. I have gotten some great ideas from other people.

The back of the CD I left with only paint and glued a flat back glass marble over the hole. I used some glitter glue in certain areas to highlight the graphic. I never thought to use it as a package topper, but I thank you for that idea.

• countrygrl
    16 years ago

Sue, that's a really lovely ornament! I am a collector of Old World Santas, and I like that you made it with something that I'm sure everyone has at home!Are the Santa and "believe" just paper? I like that you finished the back too. That's one of my pet peeves, when someone doesn't do something on the back!

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm sorry I didn't explain how I made this at first, but I didn't expect to get much comment on it. Countrygrl, I love Old World Santas and have several myself.

I previously explained the painted background. The graphics are printed from my computer on regular computer paper, torn not cut out, "aged" with brown and rust colored chalks, highlighted with some glitter glue on Santa's hat and collar, then glued onto the CD. To make the "Believe" three dimensional, I used thick double stick tape (the kind with foam) to attach it to the CD. The net in back of the graphic is dry wall tape. I used a spray or two of sealer to protect it. The hanger and tassel are raffia and a few beads.

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

That is THE neatest CD art I have ever seen!

Great job!!

Thanks so much for taking the time to share it with us.

• Jacquelyn
    16 years ago

That is beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Sue to Sue!! I am now truly committed!! Found the Hammered...you were right, great colors. I'm really anxious to work with it. Spent some time last evening pulling some things together to make a Halloween themed CD to add to my big door wreath. I believe all the possibilites are endless! Thanks so much for presenting such a super idea and allowing us to run with it!!

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bamasue, please, please share pictures of anything you get done. You are getting me inspired all over again! LOL

• pattico_gw
    16 years ago

My cousins come to my home once a month for lunch and a craft...

I hope you don't mind if I use this..I know they will just love it.

May I ask...does the paint dry fairly fast so we can finish it in an afternoon?

Thank you so much for sharing.

patti

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pattico asked:
    "May I ask...does the paint dry fairly fast so we can finish it in an afternoon?"

Sure does!

shysue

• bamasue
    16 years ago

Sue, I can't believe I could possibly inspire you as much as you have me! I so totally love your craft!! Please don't hold me to pics, but I'll try! Have thought to use your idea with my GS troop...but I'll do the spraying or risk getting "Hammered" by their Moms!!

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz