Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

my Christmas ornament

donnas_gw
15 years ago

I made this yesterday using 3/4" unfinished wood blocks, painted, and attached each one with 1/2" screw eyes. Not sure if that looks like an "L" or an "I" at the bottom. I used an alphabet stencil that I already had, and had to shorten the "l" a little for it to fit on the block.

Comments (6)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Very nice!! You could drill hole through each block & run satin cord through & knot at bottom &top of each block to hold in place. Thinking of my poor fingers, don't think I could screw the eyescrews in. Cute idea, thanks for sharing. Could do it in "Joy" Peace" "Love" or even short names "Katie" "Bob" etc. Could paint on letters if don't have stencils. Jan

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sunnyca, I use needle nosed pliers to screw them in. I just made a starter hole with a small nail on each end of the blocks. Went to Michael's and got more blocks, lol. They also had gold plated screw eyes. The ones I used in this ornament were the silver looking color, so I painted them with gold paint using a very small paint brush.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

They painted up nice(screw eyes)! Wondered where you got the blocks!! Our Michael's has changed so much, not near as much stuff as used to have. Lighting isn't too good so hard to find what you want. Should go to a different 1. After looking at the ornament some more I do think the screw eyes add a richness to it that a cord wouldn't. Thanks for the info. I made a spider last night, I can't find 1 I made last yr. It is just black bumpy chenille 4-12 in. long, pieces. Each piece needs 4 bumps. Put them together & take 1 & twist around the other 3 spread out all 8 legs. In center add 2 in black pompom with hot glue. Arrange legs ,I turned up tips a little & bend where each leg gets thin so it sits like spider, see where you want to put 2 ziggle eyes 10-12 mm attach with hot glue. turn over & hot glue little on area legs come together under the pompom so you won't "lose a leg!! Place with you decorations for Halloween. Very easy, about 5 minutes to make. Jan

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our Michael's has only been opened a few years, so right now they have plenty of stuff. I think I'm going to try and make the spider. I have 3 little grandsons that want to make some Halloween crafts. Speaking of chenille stems, Michael's decorated a large white pumpkin (painted silver) with 3 large googly eyes. They used bent chenille stems coming out of it's head for antennas. I think they were attached with wooden thread spools. There was a sign saying "take me to your leader". He was really cute. Here is a new picture of the ornament.

{{gwi:1435930}}

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

You changed the L looks great!! The pumpkin with 3 eyes is very cute sounding. Your grandkids would love doing the spiders. Kids like creepy crawlers(as long as they arn't very scarey) Each spider ends up being about 4 in tall & 8 in. across. I set mine on big pumpkin,so light weight can even have hanging from spider webs. Have fun! Jan

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

I like your ornament! Easy, yet classy.