Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm getting an interest in Paper Mache

Posted by toomuchglass (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 19, 10 at 0:45

I did it in grade school - that's how long ago it was !

Now I'm thinking about making my own forms to mosaic or decoupage. Has it changed any ? Flour & water & strips of newspaper ? Such a simple craft with tons of potential !!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm getting an interest in Paper Mache

I did this project with our girl scout troop. They all screamed when I stuck my hands in the "batter" But, once they did it, and started using it, they couldn't believe how fun it was. We made animals (I pre-made the forms with aluminum foil) based on Oaxaca folk art. The following week we painted them. It takes a while to dry.
So yes, I did it the old-fashioned way: flour, water, newspaper strips.

o

I have just used the stuff you wet & mold, we made old fashioned Santas 1 year. I still have mine. How about using stuff you cross shed in paper shredder, sure would be easier than stripping papers! Jan

o

You can add lint from your dryer into the paste to hold better. And maybe a layer of tissue or napkins (taken down to one ply) to be a bit smoother and you can sand it lightly before you cover.

o

hey TMG :D
last year I did some Halloween candy totes. I blew up small balloons and did it the old fashioned way with glue and torn strips of newspaper. I used Aleen's tacky glue in some water, and put a few strips of paper in it at a time. When I liked the look, I added some colored tissue paper to finish, but I think painting would be easier. I don't know how sturdy it would be to mosaic,lol, but they sure did get hard! I remember my daughter making a pinata for school that the class had to saw open, though :D hehe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here