Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tassel from a plastic lid....

Posted by patty_cakes (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 4, 08 at 0:23

I made several of these a few years ago, and gave them away as Christmas gifts. You first need to use a plug-in room de-odorizers so you'll have the lid, or TOP of the tassel. They're usually clear, but i've painted mine, usually gold. Drill a hole in the center. After drilling the hole, use a piece of yarn or braid you like for your loop or 'hanger'. Make a 4"(or longer)loop, tie a knot, slip on a large bead, and stick both ends thru the drilled hole. Slip on another bead which will be inside the bead, and tie a knot. Cut the yard/braid, and give a good dose of hot glue holding on to the top of the loop~it's a bit awkward, so maybe find someone to hold while you glue.

Now for the fringe part of the tassel. You can make it out of yarn that's been looped around your hand many times, and then the ends cut. OR, I buy a longer braided fringe(Walmart)and roll it tightly until I get an amount that will fit inside the lid. Glue where you start and where you end. To finish up, use your glue gun, and give the tassel braid a good dose of glue on the top, and push it up into the lid. If you want to add beads to the tassel part, slip the bead on the braid and use a tiny bit of glue on the top/bottom of where the bead is placed. You can also make the lid more decorative with beads/stones/ etc.

I started with the de-odorizer tops because i'm big on recycling and now i've also started saving those beautiful perfume bottle tops I usually throw away. Now if I could find a use for all the bottles i've saved too!!;o)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tassel from a plastic lid....

Sounds neat patty cakes, And neat that you used recyled materials. Do you have any pics of them? I'm a visual person. I've never bought the plug in deoderizers before, but I do know what you are talking about. I like making quick easy projects to give to our garden club members. Especially at holidays. So I'm always looking for ideas.

o
RE: tassel from a plastic lid....

Cheri, unfortunately i'm in the process of moving to Austin from San Diego, and not thinking I would need it, packed the plug-in cord to my camera. The couple of 'firsts' I made are also packed away in one out of 160 boxes! Yes, I have stuff!!!

I'm a 'visual' also, and like to 'see' something while it's being made if possible. I started saving those darn lids and knew I could do something with them. After awhile I started saving the bottles too. They're kind of decorative, and i'm still holding onto them...in a box, somewhere in the garage!hahahahaha

I'm the re-cycling 'queen'~rinse off aluminun foil and reuse it~something my Mom did, but never thought there would come a day I would turn into my Mom~God bless her.

I know you're creative, so I think you could probably make the tassels very easily. Got any perfume tops?? ;o)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here