Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sameboat

Help With Wreath Arrangments

sameboat
15 years ago

I have been making wreaths out of pre-made grapevine wreaths and very realistic faux silks and plastic plants.

I do not have any floral arranging or wreath making training so I don't know if I am placing the flowers and plants correctly. Does anyone know of a good web site that gives ideas on where to place certain things on a wreath for balance and artistic flair? I can't find instructions anywhere! And I can't afford to take a class.

I don't want people who know what they are doing to be snickering behind my back.

Thank you for any info.

Comments (54)

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

Thanks Karen for posting my wreath. I agree, just do some searching and check what google and ebay has to offer to look at. There's tons of wreaths on ebay. Don't give up.

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

My only advice is not to be skimpy with fillers, such as greenery(leaves), or whatever you've used to fill in between the main part of the wreath.

I like Cheri's, but it needs to have more on the right side or a little less on the left side. It looks a little dis-proportioned to me, but I like what she has used and the idea. When I think i'm going over-the-top is usually when I stop. ;o)

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

patty cakes, To let you know, I didn't know my wreath was up for your approval. To each there own. I am a floral designer and have been for 32 years. The wreath that I made was made at a floral design class that I took from a designer that goes around and does classes. I'll be sure to let him know that you think his designs need some work!!! Giving advice is a good thing when asked, but when none has been asked then maybe we shouldn't be giving any!!! And my wreath was not asking for the advice!!! Here I thought it was nice to have someone show it, then here comes someone and has to bring it down!!! I was always told if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it at all!!! I know now I'll never post another picture on this site again. Thank you so much patty cakes. It's not that I can't handle someone saying my work isn't good, every designer does different things. I've seen this happen to several people when they post something and someone has to come along and be negative, when this person was getting brave just to post. Then they are gone because of this.

• kikistreehouse
    15 years ago

Cheri!! Please dont let this stop you cause I love your work . I wouldnt change anything about it. I love it . I to stoped posting on here cause someone was constantly knocking me down . I would never say negetive about anyones garden or crafts.Hey! I thought this site was for fun and sharing and all coming together as friends helping friends , But I guess not. Sometimes someone runs it for someone else . Remember "EVERYTHING HAS BEAUTY,NOT EVERYONE SEES IT" This was my first post in a long time and will be my last one too.

• donnamp14
    15 years ago

Oh, Cheri! I never post here but visit daily for inspiration. I was going to bookmark this thread so I could (if it's OK) copy yours! It's really lovely.

Ignore the naysayers. Your wreath is gorgeous.

-Donna :)

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I've never been accused of being a naysayer on any forum here, so if i've offended anyone, I *am* terribly sorry. Cheri, I know you didn't ask for 'approval', but I was just giving *my* personal opinon, as when people are looking to do something they've never done before, they're idea is sometimes to do it exactly like the picture. I just stated a little more filler could be used.

I myself have never worked *in* a floral shop, but a freind of mine managed a rather large prominent shop, where I help during the busy times of the year such as Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, etc. She taught me everything she was taught, and i've been making arrangements, swags, wreaths, etc., for the last 30 years~i'm 66. I also purchase books/magazines to keep up with what is current, and have a wholesale license to purchase with those in the industry. Last year I did several wreathes, arrangements, etc., for a friend back in IL whose home was featured in an Autumn parade of homes. She also had a floral designer make and donate a few things. When she was asked to do the tour, she didn't know a florist would be donating anything, so she called on me to help her. From what I hear, the designer was surprised I 'wasn't in the business', which made me feel good. My friend also said the things I had done were far superior to the designer.

I love doing this sort of thing, as well as decorating. I don't feel a license that says 'designer' is necessary to be good at anything you love doing. I'm also a fairly good cook, but never went to the Cordon Bleu to learn. I can re-finish furniture, but never went to school to learn the art of carpentry. I can wallpaper, sew, paint, recover furniture, and am the mother of 5 grown children.

The bottom line is, anything you do isn't necessarily because you have a 'creative genius' somewhere inside of you, it's because you LOVE what you're doing to begin with, and it shows. Again, i'm sorry if i've offended you, or anyone else.

• posieh
    15 years ago

WOW !!!! Someone must have been having a really bad day !! I must agree with patty cakes and she sure wasn't giving her approval but was only trying to help. We all have our "opinions" but offering advice is not an opinion. As a flower show judge for many years and
    as the winner of many, many blue and purple (which are Grand Champions) ribbons I was going to commment on the wreath that was shown in the picture but deceided not too. It seems as though the comments given on this site are always "Oh, that looks great" or "good work" !! The wreath shown would never, ever win a contest ! You have two points of interest,one at the top and one on the bottom. Whomever was giving lessons was obviously short on talent. Sorry for telling the truth.....and I feel bad for you patty cakes for the nasty comments. We can't all be experts and I don't claim to be but I do have some bragging rights.
    Let's "LET BY-GONES BE BY-GONES" and continue on having some fun and helping each other with projects. No need for uncalled for comments.

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

First of all......... I am a self taught designer, and I never came on that I was a certified designer. I have learned from other florist designers. I'm not here to brag about who has taught me what. I have seen certified designer's work and frankly I don't like it. BUT, I'm not here to tell someone that. I know as a designer everyone has different taste. And if I was asking for advise on my wreath, that would have been a whole different thing. Again, I never posted my pic of my wreath.
    The botton line was my wreath was only showed to her as an idea. I didn't know it was on the floor for discussion. Especially since I had just thanked someone for showing it. Further more I'm not interested in having it judged. I also am a garden club member and I know all about the Flower Show judges and have heard many comments made about them.
    And NO, I wasn't having a bad day!!!
    I will ask Purplemoon to remove my wreath from her Inspirational Album, As it is not worthy to win a contest!!!
    Maybe we all should go to your wreath making classes so we can learn the right way. I received a very nice email from a lady on here and here was one of her comments "I guess most of us missed that "Wreath Rulebook" about using a measuring tape on our wreaths".The only reason I came back to defend myself, which I believe I have a right to do. Especially if someone is making a comment about my wreath. I'm sure if you posted a pic of your wreath and I come along and say "well that sure wouldn't when a contest" or it looks out of "disproportioned", I think you might be a little hurt.
    I'm not here to argue, The bottom line again I might add is my wreath was not on the floor to be "Judged"!!!!!! Why do people think they can say things about other people or things and think it's OK.
    I can't believe someone would come along and say "That would never win no contest Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!! You know what they say..... "What comes around... goes around".

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

OMG! This is all so sad--not the respectful, helpful comments normally found on these forums!

Misspoken (or written) words can be so hurtful. That just should not happen here. Most everything can be commented on in a constructive, complementary way--and if not, perhaps it's better to just not comment at all.

Cheri, many of us have "known" you for quite some time and always look forward to your posts and pics of your wonderful creations. I very much admire your talents. Please do not stop posting because some posters have lacked tact and consideration in the comments they've posted.

Pattycakes, you've been on these forums a long time too, I certainly would not think you intended to be rude, perhaps the phrases you used did not come out as you intended. Instead of critiquing someone else's creation, it might be better to post pics of your own as examples of the points you wish to make on design.

Hopefully, all involved here will express their regrets and let this unfortunate incident drop. Let's get back to being creative and sharing ideas and offering constructive feedback.

Hugs to all,

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Wow, I just came back to see if more wreaths were shown, and found that my posting Cheri's really caused an uproar. I'm a BIG fan of her decorating, and am so sorry to have caused her any grief. In fact I really should have asked her before I posted her wreath. I am shocked....Posie you said "no need for uncalled comments", but that was AFTER you said Cheri's wreath couldn't win a contest. That was certainly harsh and uncalled for IMO. I don't think I want to post on this Forum in the future. I love sharing photos and ideas, but not when it causes trouble.

Karen

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Has anyone else noticed whenever a picture is posted, all sorts of comments are posted, whether they're relative to the picture or not? This happens during threads *without* pictures also. It just seems to be the way things 'go' on a forum or board of any kind. I remember some time ago on the decorating forum someone commented on the paint color of a room. The thread that was started did not have the word 'paint' in it, but that's the turn it took. And things just went from bad to worse.

My point is, *when* a picture is posted you need to be ready for comments related or not related to the thread, and that could mean negative or positive.

Posieh, thank you for coming to my defense~i'm gald someone is able to see it as an 'opinion' and not a 'judgement' or fact. You are *SO* right about forum members making MORE positive and very few *honest* comments. An honest comment doesn't *have* to hurt and should be taken as it is posted, an opinion. We've all seen posts/pictures where something is so outrageous or not to our liking. THAT is the type of post I would not make ANY sort of comment on. If I feel something could be improved upon(again, my opinion)then i'll post, since I don't see it as negative OR positive.

Luvs, how are you? Yes, I have been on the forums for quite some time, and jump around here and there. I'm not on this one often, but was looking for something very specific and thought I might find it here. I read all the recent threads/posts, and when I saw Cheri's wreath, I certainly didn't think I was being overly critical, just honest in *my* opinion. It seems an important part of my post was left out, 'I like what she has used and the idea.' I also need to say that constructive critism is necessary for everyone to learn and grow, no matter what your age.

And to everyone~PLEASE do not leave this forum because of one opinionated woman, ME! I meant no harm, and had I known this would happen, would not have posed. I can't even step on a bug or kill a spider. ;o(

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Patty, I'm not leaving the Forum, I lurk here often. I just feel I shouldn't contribute if things like this happen.
    Actually I DID note that you said you liked Cheri's idea and what she used. And the fact you'd do it differently is what makes all us Crafters' work interesting. I like so many different things that if everyone here made a wreath, I'd probably like them ALL. LOL. But I've seen quite a bit of Cheri's decor ideas and IMO find her very talented and full of fun ideas. I am upset at how she was rudely treated by another poster. I hope all this ends tonight.

I'm one of the most opinionated people you'd ever meet, just ask my friends! And I'm also good at over-reacting! I have to really watch myself at times. So when things go off course like this has, I see HOW easily it happens for misunderstandings and problems to occur.
    I'm not use to stuff like this on my two regular forums so this caught me by surprise.

Karen

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Wow..last year, Cheri brought me out of (lurkdom) when she posted pictures of her many creative talents. I had to comment on her creations, and her wonderful flair for design. Both DH & I, having Art & Design backgounds..were always taught that Creativity is the mind's freedom to think in its own way.... and to step 'outside of the box' and away from rigidity..and AWAY from what 'others' expect. So, in Cheri's creations, it is, as it should be (unless specifically commissioned) a form of expression based on HER preferred technique, style and potential > AND should be something that moves, touches and/or inspires someone.
    I found this in ALL of Cheri's creations. For Cheri and others to Stop posting here, because there are those who choose to (when not asked) become self-appointed critiques...would be stiffiling creativity in Anyone, coming into this forum, both novice or otherwise. This also brings to mind, the story of a Teacher who took the crayon away from a child who wanted to color their picture in a certain way...but the Teacher said 'NO' it should be done THIS WAY' !! There certainly would be NO Picasso's if there were these kinds of Teachers!! Mind you, I'm NOT against giving an honest opinion or adivce when ASKED..Because, it IS and CAN be very helpful, however >> it's Not What You Say >>> It's How You Say It!! So, let's ALL continue coming to this forum, to Enjoy Sharing what we
    do.

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

WOW, I'm sorry I ever opened my mouth. I don't like trouble. So on that note I will take your "opinions" and know that I need to work on my designing skills!!!
    I do want to thank everyone for their nice comments. And I'll keep jumping on here to see what all the neat creations you all have created.
    Again, I'm truly sorry for opening my mouth. I will try to learn to take criticism better.

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

I am a very good friend of Cheri's and will stand by her side. I met Cheri through another GW forum a couple of years ago. It was Cheri who helped me learn how to post pics, etc. From there we became close and have spoke on the phone for hours and email each other often. Cheri has shown me many of her creative skills through which my own projects became better. I even had the good fortune to meet her in person and will say she is a wonderful, kind-hearted and great person to not only know, but to be friends with. Cheri has a big heart and beautiful sparkling eyes and I am proud to say I am friends with this fantastic woman.

I am nobody perfect and don't proclaim myself to be anymore than just Sally. However, I feel strong in my words when I say that I am appauled that anyone on this forum or any other forum feels they have the right to step up and say they have "bragging rights" to "judge" another person's work. Well good for you and I want you to be wearing the crown of perfection whenever you come on here. Let's all bow down to the Queen for if anyone should win a contest, you just did. Guess which one!

Cheri, my friend, your wreath is beautiful, gorgous and in my eyes, "perfection." I can only hope that one day I will have a 10th of the creative decorating skill you have. Since Day One, you have given me faith there are "good people" still left on this Earth. Others should learn from your example. Yes my friend, I will stand by your side, always.

Sal

• daisydal
    15 years ago

1 Thessalonians 4:9
    Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. God Bless You all-sherri

• kikistreehouse
    15 years ago

WOW!!!! I cant believe this . Cheri!!! Just send it to me .. I'll hang it proudly and love it and brag.. brag... brag on it . Because of the woman that made it ,I know is a true honest person and Iam very proud to call you my friend . I only wish I had some of your talient. I meet you on this site and for that Iam greatfull. I joined this site to learn, and share ideas as well as meet friends .and so far ive only meet two you and Sal. I sure hope we're not being judged. cause my skills leaves lots to be desired and my spelling and gramer needs help as well . But I here for anyone who needs a friend . I look at you wreath and I see who you are and what you like .And I wouldnt change anything about you . I will not judge you or anyone else. You could take 10 people and give them a pattern to make and all are going to be different . everyone puts into it what and how they see it . And thats what makes us all who we are .. makes me wonder how my pictures were judged .. But I really dont care cause I did get a couple good friends from this site.I dont need a title behind my name to be who I am nor do you . You are Cheri . Nonthing Id change about you. Love you just the way you are . Jeeze maybe my spelling and gramer are being judged too. So anyone want to judge me or anything Ive posted go ahead !! Iam sorry to see this site come to this .

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Pattycakes, how about we start getting this thread BACK on track? You said "you stop when things seem to be going over the top". LOL. So am guessing you like a loaded wreath, and I for one would love to see some. I will post a simple little one I did last Valentine's. My poor little grapevine wreath gets decorated and UN-decorated for all the smaller holidays during the year. Which is why I keep it simple. For Xmas tho, I prefer big fancy wreaths. I haven't made any as they intimidate me. LOL.
    So lets see some other wreaths besides the ONE posted on this thread and share ideas like we are supposed to be doing here. I had really hoped to see more in the first place. We shouldn't expect everyone to like our creations, NOR should we be afraid they will be rude or negative. I would hate to see folks afraid to post pictures now.
    How can we grow and learn new ideas if we don't share creativity?

So here's my version of a simple little Valentine wreath.
    {{gwi:1479956}}

Karen

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

Oh Karen, How cute. You know Valentines and St Patty's Day I guess are 2 Holidays I haven't decorated a wreath for. I'm defiantly a "Berry" person in wreaths. I seem to always make a wreath decorated all around for my front door. I would like to try differnt shape containers and make something with it for my front door. I like those long cone shapes.
    This is one that I have on my front door now.

And I have this hanging in my foyer

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Well, your simple little Valentine wreath is.....

Simply beautiful, Karen!!
    You are such a peacemaker! Love that about you, among your other marvelous qualities!
    Kiki, YOU HAVE ME FOR A FRIEND, TOO!I will never judge ANYONE on their creations because that is what we all are... creations of God! Wish I had a pic of a wreath, hmmmmm, better go look and see!
    Hey, sameboat, don't row away,(ha, row away, boat, get it! sorry!) we're trying to get the Devil out of here, he will try and mess up our lives anywhere, won't he?) and get back on track with the original post for ya!
    Anyway, if you have a Hobby Lobby or a Michaels, sometimes they have alot of wreaths made up for display and there are also small pamplets you can buy there that give you ideas. I really like the ones they do with cute antiquey looking kitchen acessories, ones that have tiny clay pots with gardening tools, ones with the little birds and nest in it, (I'm a sucker for those), or the ones with little wooden signs on them with cutesy sayings always catch my eye at a show. You might try a few of those and see what happens. Can't wait to see whatcha do, bring them on over to garden junk forum and I bet you get great responses, lots of talent over there, too!
    blessings-sherri

• sameboat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my I didn't realize this post would take us here. OK I will post some of mine for constructive criticism. I just really love them but I realize they are a little odd:

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Sameboat, why do you say your wreaths are odd? I don't understand that at all. As soon as I saw it, I am in love with the wreath in the top pic with the bird facing outwards. What a great idea to put it that way. I also love the way you used the floral to cascade "outside" on all three of them. They all look very natural. Hope you won't mind if I use this idea on some of my wreaths.

Sal

• sameboat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

craftylady you made my day! I don't know I guess they just look so different from what I see. All of a sudden I started making these wreaths and they aren't selling but I can't stop making them. It makes me happy to make them. My husband thinks I'm nuts. I know my kids definitely do. One eBayer bought one and she's had it for a while now and no feedback which I think is really funny. So they are all around my dining room floor - everyone will be getting one for Christmas! My mother-in-law who is very crafty and whose taste I share saw them all and wasn't even moved to touch one. So that's why I felt like geez Louise are they ugly or what?! So craftylady you really did make my day. Thank you.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Sameboat, I like them too. I'd "buy" that first one with the bird, love the colors and the bird really adds interest. The greenery combination on the other two is really nice too--maybe add birds, or a little nest with eggs for added interest on them too. Keep at it, suddenly you will discover just the touches you need to make them hot sellers.

Cheri, I love both of your patriotic designs. I need to do something like that to use on my front window for the 4th of July. I think I have a straw wreath that I just covered in red, white, and blue carnations one year. It's just a small wreath. Don't think I've taken any pics of it though.

Karen, I looked in my photobucket, and the only wreaths I've taken pictures of are the ones I've used as part of a centerpiece on my tables! LOL Don't forget that they work really good for that too!

Luvs

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Cheri, I am so happy you posted your wreaths. Way to go, Girl. I just bought one of those metal "cones" to try floral stuff with on my front door. Tho I haven't a clue what I plan to do. LOL. You go first and give me ideas!
    Or someone, I always need a bit of help as my imagination can be sadly lacking compared to many of you.

Sameboat, your wreaths are NOT odd. I think they are unique. And I especially love the bird one. Birds and birdnests are a favorite of mine. I buy and sell on eBay (mostly buy, LOL) and know how fickle bidding can be. And that shipping often stops someone from getting something too. I sure don't get why your MIL didn't think they were neat looking since you said you share tastes! The way that last one 'cascades' is really pretty I think. So how do I get on your Xmas list? LOL.
    Oh, with the Holidays coming up, maybe you should try selling some on Craigslist in your area. Its FREE and you can post a photo too.
    I have to confess, that Valentine wreath I made was my first attempt at one. Then I redid it for Easter and St Paddy's and July 4th. It makes me happy, and is fun. I would love to make really pretty, elaborate wreaths too tho.
    As I said, I pretty much like everything.

I can't tell everyone how happy I am to see photos and the posts tonight. Thank you! I'd like to snag some photos for the Holidays Inspiration album that I set up last year on Photobucket for my Forums. I didn't want pictures lost as posts grew old or photos removed, plus I prowl the Internet and many sites looking for "inspiration" to enjoy and share. So hope no one minds if they end up in the album, if you do mind, just tell me.

hugs, Karen

hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Inspiration Albums

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

sameboat...Glad you posted your wreaths here. I too love the first one w/the bird. It's different and I also love the colors you chose. I agree with craftylady on how you placed your florals.. I like the 'whispy' look which makes them look very natural. Hey...maybe your MIL..was a little 'Green' over your creations !! LOL

karen...cute idea w/the valentine wreath.. That's a holiday I seem to skip...but now I'm thinking I could use one of my Christmas ones w/berries and just add some valentine things to it...Thank you!!

cheri...another idea you've inspired in me... with the Flags...Seems I put up a couple of wreaths for the Summer, but never thought to add some flags to them for those different holidays. Sometimes the things that are right 'under your nose' get passed by!! lol

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

Luvs, what a sweeeeeet Valentine's Day wreath!! The 'little fella' sitting in the center gets me....right in the ((heart)). It would bring a smile to anyone's face!

Cheri, now that's IT!! I love lots of 'stuff' in my wreaths and arrangements, and you didn't hold back. Maybe it's the type of wreath that sometimes call for more. I can imagine you having a different one on your door every month! I seem to make more for other's than myself. I do a spring/summer, fall, and Christmas, that's it. However I make up for wreaths with Christmas trees~one in every room, including bedrooms.

Sameboat, huh? I call them unique, NOT odd. You are following *your* vision, so yours are unlike anyone else's, as they should be. Everything looks naturally placed, not 'arranged', which is what I like. #1~it looks like the bird just happened to land there, #2~you picked a bouquet of wild flowers and made a wreath, #3~you were in the forest and used what was there. Don't sell yourself short~sounds like your MIL could be a little 'green' with envy.

Now a little tip for you ladies~I get ALL my grapevine wreaths at thrift stores, usually a $1 or .50, and they're not the teeny tiny ones either. I've also made my own using fresh Ivy, taking the leaves off as i'm making the circle. I hang to dry in the garage. I have Morning Glories that have gone crazy and are all over the place, and was thinking of trying a wreath out of the vines. Hey, when ya got nothin' but lemons, ya make lemonade. ;o)

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I'm pretty new & lurked for about 2 yrs. I was sad to read all this. If I don't like something then I don't post anything. Here goes! Cheri- I would be proud to have your fall wreath on my wall, after seeing your's I got mine out & am going to spruce it up. Antique flag wreath is very eye catching are the flags paper? Love the antique look, the other 1 is nice but I'm an antique lover so I fell for 1st 1. Purplemoon-that teddy bear wreath must have brought a smile to everyone who entered your house & saw it. Give him a hug for me. sameboat- At 1st I had same reaction as I did to Asian style floral arrangements- oh, different, I loved the bird but wasn't sure so kept going up & down looking at all 3 & they are little out of the standred round full wreath mold but they grow on you & more I looked at them more I liked them & I hope you have that beautiful bird fastened down as he looks to take off. I think now that fall is really getting here your sales will pick up. School is big expense so in couple of weeks you should do better. Wonder what people thought 1st time they saw sad eyed dolls, lot of people probably didn't like them,some grew to like them &others still don't like them. Plenty of room for everyone's talents. Hope it is over & everyone will show their great stuff! MY DD is working on getting some of my stuff on she ran out of time today. Jan

• posieh
    15 years ago

Remember when you were a younsgter and you were involved in a dispute with a sibling and your Mother would say "Who started this?". O.K., I thought someone wanted some constructive help with a wreath but maybe my remarks were too much, so I 'll say I'm sorry. I've been here since about 2002 or 2003 but had to change my name and bio when I needed to change my E-mail. Remember when Spike was here?

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Although your post was not directed at me the other day Posieh, I for one would like to say, apology accepted.

Sal

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Posie, I hope you will post some photos too. I noted you do judging and competing, which I find fascinating. I would like to hear more about what YOU like to create.
    I enjoy the 'differences' in the folks on the Forums. I make stuff just for myself, having neither the talent nor confidence to do more than that. Hearing how some of you take classes, belong to clubs, set up booths and sell, or just make things for gifts.....well this is exactly WHY I enjoy a Forum like this. It allows everyone to share what they love in so many ways.

hugs, Karen

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

sunnyca, Thank You,The flags are cloth. They have that antique look.
    Sameboat, I just love all the mixed greenery you have used on your wreaths. I love that airy look greenery. I also love how you have flared them out. The last one is really neat how you have it trailing down.
    I agree, things usually start to pick up after school begins. I know we have been really slow all summer at the flower shop I work at.

• daisydal
    15 years ago

Ok, hers mine, I added a few things this spring, so it kinda looks alittle beaten up with all of the hailstorms this summe!
    blessings-sherri

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

Sherri, I love your wreath. I love the bear grass greenery that is flowing out of your wreath. Cute sign too!!! Thanks for sharing your wreath with us.
    Cheri

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

What a fun wreath, Sherri. That sign is just perfect and makes me smile and want to sit down and chat there.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Daisydal, love your wreath and especially the little sign. Do you paint? If so, come on over to the Painting forum and share with us too. Gosh, I wish I had a porch! ;o) Luvs

• luvs2click
    15 years ago

Here's a few I made over the summer for my shows and farmer's markets. I know nothing about arranging, I just do what pleases me and hope it pleases someone else too.

Arlene

• sameboat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for sharing your wreaths - they are ALL so different and unique! Silly, serious, patriotic, cute and elegant. I love that.

• Cheri_C
    15 years ago

Arlene, Love all your wreaths. The bird one is so cute, and I just love how you put the flag on the other wreath and then added all the Americana gardening tools and the buttons. How clever. And the clay pots, OH My, I have always wanted to make me one of those. I even have the pots, just never got around to it. Great job!!! Thanks for sharing your wreaths.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing your wreaths, Arlene. That patriotic one is really different and unique. I've saved that in the Holiday Inspiration album, the July 4th one. Nice job!

hugs, Karen

• donnas_gw
    15 years ago

sameboat, I know nothing about arranging, but wreaths are not hard to make. I buy the $1.00 silk flowers at Walmart, then take wire cutters to remove each stem. Just poke them into the wreath wherever you want them. I don't bother to glue mine on. They hold pretty well by just intertwining the end of the stem somewhere on the back of the wreath. Might not be the best way to make them, but then I don't sell mine. Here's a few that I've made:

{{gwi:1479966}}

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Well Donna, I'm pretty impressed with what you've created from inexpensive Walmart flowers! Those are lovely I think.
    I like the idea of no glue myself since it does give one the option of changing things easily if the mood strikes.
    That's what I do with my little simple one I showed earlier.
    I put your Fall wreath in the Holiday Inspiration album I'd put together last year for the Forums I'm on.

thanks for posting your wreaths!!
    hugs, Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Holiday Inspiration Album

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Donnas, You have lot more talent then you think!! To get such lovely wreaths without glueing is amazing. I just added to my fall wreath & thought I would poke the additions in, they immediately fell off. So I glued as always!! Some of us have to glue to get the flower to stay way we want it, you don't have that problem, they look great!! I remember a book on wreaths I had & you had to wire each flower on, glad things have improved!! Jan

• daisydal
    15 years ago

luvstocraft, yes and no! I do some painting, just cutesy stuff freehand and no, I do not have 1/100th of the talent that is on that forum!LOL!! You guys would laugh me under the table if I put somethin' there!!! You would say, "who let that little kid on here??!!LOL!! That is simply so sweet of you to want to include me if I painted, but I would be scared to death to submit something. I think if I put it on the GJ forum it might fit better. You are so sweet, though, thanks!!
    Arlene, can I come make wreaths with you??? I adore yours. I love birds anyway and yours is a darlin'. The Americana one is adorable with the flag and buttons, nice touch, I've never would of thought of that, I love it! And I really like the clay pots, I'm like Cheri. I've always wanted to do one of those, too.
    Donna, your wreaths are beautiful, they are very eye-catching! I especially love the bottom one, reminds me of spring!(((sigh)))). I miss it already!

OK, Sameboat, I think you have a slew of ideas here now, how did we do on turning this forum back around to something positive and back to the original post!!??
    Please don't forget to show us what you come up with!
    God bless the USA-sherri

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Arlene...very creative wreaths.. I like that they are very different. It's so nice to see so many different ideas come here. Keeps you 'up to date' AND keeps the 'creative juices' going!! lol

donnas - lovely wreaths. I love the colors and the flowers that you chose for each. They would sell easily, if you wanted to. You're a girl after my own heart, with buying inexpensive flowers and taking them apart with a clipper. I do that many times, and most times I will buy flowers and picks, after the season when they are on clearance. Every dollar counts >> keeping it in OUR pocket!! Thanks for sharing.

sameboat... I agree, I think with all the different wreaths and ideas posted here, you're well on your way. What a nice way to do 'research' !!
    jane

• donnas_gw
    15 years ago

purplemoon, thanks for adding my wreath to your collection. You can really find some pretty flowers at Walmart. I know they are not the larger, more expensive flowers, but I think they are just as colorful:) Oh, on the spring wreath, most of those flowers came from Dollar Tree Store. You can find nice ones there too, but you really have to look. The only flowers that came for Walmart on that wreath are the little lavender and white clustered ones. The wired ribbon came from DTS also.

sunnyca, if I were to start selling wreaths, I'd definitely glue the flowers. Since I only make them for myself, I like the fact that if any flower(s) looks out of place, I can easily move them elsewhere on the wreath.

daisydal, that spring wreath is my favorite one that I've made so far. Fall is my favorite time of the year. I just love the red, oranges and yellows. Once the leaves are gone and it is gray and cold out, I'll be waiting for spring!!

I have yet to try making wreaths using anything besides artificial flowers, besides the school wreath. Looking at the spring wreath, I can see that I have too many yellow flowers clumped together on the bottom right side. Plus, it does look uneven, but I don't let it bother me. I can always move flowers around next spring LOL.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

donna, I've bought some flowers at both Dollar Tree and Walmart and been very happy with them. Real flowers hate me, so I rely on the silk ones. Bonus is, outside our Phoenix Sun can't kill them. And neither can I. LOL.
    Sometimes Michaels has good sales on theirs, and then I buy there. I like their hydrangeas, my favorite flower and it could never survive living here in the desert.

hugs, Karen

• sameboat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am picking back up on my wreath-making now that the holidays are almost over. I've spent the past couple of months moving into a new home (not new but new to me) and I think I am ready to think Spring. I just came across my box of wreaths that were scattered in my dining room but not selling. I've picked up a few goodies here and there (tiny teacups and saucers, etc. that may add some interest to my wreaths that did not sell). Only one sold after all that creativity and no feedback was left on eBay! Wish me luck - here I go again...

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Good Luck sameboat!! Use spring colors- pastels on some & summer ones can be very bright. 1 rule I usually follow I learned from a flower arranging book, always use uneven number of your larger flowers. So if you have some large roses use 3 or 5 or 7 never 2-4-6. In a vase or wreath it usually works out best with uneven numbers. For some reason 2 doesn't look "right" or looks "too set" 3 will look softer, more balanced. As will 5 if the flowers arn't too big. Take a look at some wreaths on ebay & count the large flowers & you will get the idea compare ones with uneven flowers to even flowered ones. If a wreath is full of flowers, that's a different situation. Also a 12 in. wreath probably would look overpowered with 5 in. sunflowers where as 3 in sunflowers would look right. Pick the wreaths you like best on ebay & see what they did, colors, size of flowers, placement,(all flowers on 1 side & part of wreath showing, mostly covered or completely covered so you can't see the wreath) Write down elements you like best & go with them, ask what makes a wreath interesting,color, shape,wreath form,etc. You'll see by writing down what you like pretty much what to do. Jan

• sameboat
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay so I made a whole bunch more and STILL not selling (but for one or two at $15). So I added more stuff to them. They are spectacular. I just don't see why nobody wants them and yet I see others sell for $100+ on eBay. There is a gift shop in town whose owner said she'd love to have a look at them but I'm afraid to bring them. Half because I'm afraid of the rejection if she doesn't like them and half is fear that she'll say how about charging $20. I really have too much money in them. It's getting ridiculous. But I just can't stop making them. It's getting crazy now. Is this sick? I think I'm sick! I laugh and then I get angry and depressed. What is it?

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County