Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
good36

Amy Butler Weekender bag?

good36
16 years ago

Anyone made one of these? How was it to make? Does it go together nice?

Thanks

Judy

Here is a link that might be useful: Weekender bag

Comments (7)

• Molly Brown
    16 years ago

Read this entry, from someone that made one...

Here is a link that might be useful: weekender bag

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I'm in the process of making one right now, I have a trip the end of the week so I am a woman on a mission. lol

It's not a small project by any means, and it's pricey to make. The only real problem I had with it (besides turning it inside out and right side out, that was hard!) is the piping, I just don't do enough of that to be really proficient, but I finally got it the way it needed to be. It's kind of hard to wrestle the panels under the zipper foot when you have no flexibility or give, because of the stiffness from the Timtex. That said- I love this bag! I finished the outside of it yesterday, just have to press it and today I'm making the lining and adding a zippered pocket to that. It's a really nice size and I plan to make another one in a more spring/summer combo at some time in the future, so you know I wasn't TOO traumatized by the stupid piping. lolol

I'm using a geometric fabric, not Amy Butler's. It's black with orange/red/olive/peach squares all over it, it's by Blank Textiles. The lining is black with those same colored dots on it, dime-sized dots. DH has the camera or I'd show you. Because it's not the weight fabric that is recommended, I reinforced it with an iron-on stabilizer on all the exterior pieces except for the piping.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

P.S. Plan on it taking about 2 hours just to insert and fasten the lining by hand. I pinned and re-pinned, stitched and restitched and I'm still not done with the lining. And when you sew it down along the zipper edge, on the inside, don't stitch it too close to the zipper or the slide won't slide. Don't ask me how I found THAT out! lol

Bag looks great, though. And once you're that far, you don't want to scrimp on anything to make it less than "perfect".

• good36
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! Thanks a bunch flamingo!! Not sure if I want to dig into this project. I know I could do it, just not sure if I have the patients to do it LOL. I am one that likes my project to look almost perfect or I won't use/wear it. This one would be a big "waste" if I ended up not using it.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

Good, I finished it. The lining took FOREVER, but I'm meticulous and picky, and I'm sure you are too. It looks great, though, if I may say so. And you would have so much invested in it, you would be sure to work slowly and carefully on it so it would be as perfect as possible.

These photos wash the bag out a little, the colors are richer and deeper, the black is more prominant than it looks here. Stupid flash! lol

I added the zippered pocket to the lining, it was so easy to do.

I was working in a rush since I'm flying to CO on Friday and have to work and clean the house before I can go. I wish I had had more leisure time to work on it, but I didn't. Next time I'll make one when there's no pressure. You can do this! I'll tell you one thing, though- I started out using my White machine and quickly switched to using the Bernina. It's more powerful and I didn't break a single needle. Having an adjustable needle (left, center, right) was crucial when it came to piping.

• oddie
    16 years ago

WOW Beautiful job!
    Oddie

• talat
    16 years ago

What a great fabic you used. I love it.

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers