Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassie60

Pattern for covering clothes hangers

sassie60
17 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a old pattern that will enable one to cover a wire coat hanger using a type of material (which I don't know the name of). The material that was used, rolls up and when you spread it out, it's about 1 3/4" wide. Maybe a Phentex? Anyway, I've made these coverings many years ago and the pattern uses 2 colours. Does anyone out there remember these? I'd love a copy of the instructions.

Sandy

Comments (19)

• sassie60
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do believe you are right. It was like a nylon material and if I can find it, I may be able to figure out the pattern. It can't be that difficult or maybe I should just take an old one apart and hope for the best. Thanks for your input.
    Sandy

• ree3
    17 years ago

Did you find the covered coat hanger pattern you were looking for? I believe I have the one you are searching for.

Paula

• t_dawna_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

HI,

would it be possible to get this pattern somewhere? I've been looking all over for it. I beleive the original material used was called nylotex.

Donna

• snoozinsusanw
    15 years ago

I have a booklet that has the instructions for covering the hangers with phentex yarn somewhere at home. If you would like I could scan them and then email them to you.

• Crafty Gardener
    15 years ago

I have the directions on my personal website and also on my craft blog. I'll leave the link to the blog. Hope you can figure out the directions.

Here is a link that might be useful: braided covered coathangers

• Ladyborg
    15 years ago

The yarn you're thinking of was called Nylotex. I bought it in Canada MANY years ago, not sure if it sold in the U.S. I am also looking for that hanger pattern if anyone has it!

• Crafty Gardener
    15 years ago

Thanks for the email ladyborg. I'll include the updated link to the braided coathangers.
    You sure do have a stash of the Nylotex. I have no idea if it is still sold. I only have a few balls left too.

Here is a link that might be useful: braided coathanger pattern - updated link

• concretenprimroses
    15 years ago

My memere used to make these. My husband and I fight over them! I'll have to secretly make him a few more for Christmas. Thanks for the pattern and the reminder.
    kathy

• sorie6 zone 6b
    15 years ago

Could you use plain cotton yarn for this? Thanks

• grandmotherof12
    14 years ago

If anyone out there has a pattern for these coat hangers, could I please get it from you? My mom used to make these and is interested in making them again. Thank you very, very much.

• laforest206_yahoo_ca
    14 years ago

I have the pattern, I sell it for 25 Cents with an order of nylotex. see Kijiji add. under nylotex. In original package. Colours available, Marine, Royal Blue, Navy Blue, Turquoise, Brown, Copper, White, Red, Green, Olive, Forest green, Orange and Black (Not shown).

• Crafty Gardener
    14 years ago

Where are you located so we know which area of Kijiji to look under?

• laforest206
    14 years ago

I'm in Finch Ontario 613-984-2241

• squeeky
    14 years ago

I'm certainly a long time in getting back to everyone but thanks for your input and thank you to craftygardner for the link to the pattern. Now, I just have to figure out what kind of material to use. I've also changed my user name from Sassie 60 and that's probably because I had to register again.
    Sandy

• barb_from_pa
    14 years ago

I thought you weren't supposed to sell stuff on here. ??

I still use hangers from MANY years ago which were done with yarn. I'll dig one out and post a pic.

• squeeky
    14 years ago

Hey Barb, I'd love to see those hangers done with the yarn or if anyone else has photos of the hangers made with other materials, could they please show us all. Thanks,
    Sandy

• Iceni
    11 years ago

HI if you have the coathanger , was it in a booklet with a chair and a slipper pattern? I am looking to buy a slipper pattern, can anyone PDF me with it please?

• Crafty Gardener
    10 years ago

I just recently found the pattern booklet for sale on an etsy store and snapped it up right away. It is by Qualicraft and has the covered coat hanger pattern, a slipper pattern, a weaving pattern for a lawn chair and a weaving placemat.
    I updated my pattern page awhile ago with my version of the pattern, based on what someone told me. The previous links I've left were to my old blog but now it is on my own domain site. For those interested, I'm adding a link. You can print the coat hanger pattern from my site. Thanks for visiting.

Here is a link that might be useful: braided covered coat hangers

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz