Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myyellowstang

Blue jean purse

myyellowstang
17 years ago

After looking at several pictures I decided to make one and it turned out great! But now I have several friends/coworkers wanting me to make them one and tell them how much I want for one. I'm clueless as to what I would charge someone for something.

Will y'all take a look at my bag and tell me how much you would pay someone to make one for you? Minimum/maximum... so I can come up a fair estimate...

Comments (31)

• sionnanriver
    17 years ago

$30-40

It's so hard to price work. The purse is very nice looking.

• myyellowstang
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the reply, that's the range my husband was trying to tell me too.

And thanks for the compliment!

• Cheri_C
    17 years ago

Wow, I love your purse. Great job on the handles.

• trudymom
    17 years ago

REALLY CUTE!!! Great job on it also!! I'd think $40.00. Do you think it could be sewn by hand???--I'm horrible with a machine. Any instructions???

• sharon_fl
    17 years ago

Nice job! I recently bought two at our FL dept store-they charged $25 for them-however I think mine is a slightly smaller. Mine have stiff sides on them-almost like the floor of the bag but a little less firm. They took real belts & cut them down to fit the waist of the purse. One had a metallic & denim look; the other a woven straw look. On the metallic one-they had used the silver studs to trim the pockets & on the straw belt they sewed seashells.

• missy11
    17 years ago

Great Job. I have been seaching the internet for this pattern and have not been able to find it and now I see it on here. This must been a popular item right now. Quick question: I know how to do the jeans but not too sure how to do the liner. Could you share how you did yours?

Missy

• gw:lake-lover
    17 years ago

I live in the "burbs" of St. Louis and saw them in store for $30 but, hate to say, it was pretty fancy compared to your pic. It had an applicas (sp.) that matched the lining fabric (ie., frogs with a frog print). And the belt was a real leather belt that had a silver buckle and tip with rhinestones.

• myyellowstang
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone!

Missy, I didn't have a pattern. I just cut fabric the the dimensions of the purse... if the fabric was directional I cut two squares and sewed at the bottom (so the pattern would be facing up), if the pattern was allover I just cut a rectangle. I sewed one side together and slipped it in the purse... pinned it, removed it and sewed the other side where it came together during the "fitting". I put in pockets where I wanted them. I fold the top edge down until it is the right depth and iron it. Then I slip it in the purse and sew around the outside egde. It gets a little tough around the button... and I have to go slow due to the thickness.

I played with it until I knew what I had to do, but it's fairly simple to do.

• tedibear
    17 years ago

Hey--Great job-like the others were saying easily $25-35--I would buy this before the fancier type because with simplicity of the look is great way your friends/buyer can add whatever embellishments they want for their personality/style.I would like to ask a question if I could-What do you use for the base for the purse to stand flat?

I have a question if I could: What did you use for the base to make it stand flat?

• myyellowstang
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I fused two layers of heavyweight pellon together for the bottom. I also used one layer of heavyweight pellon sewed in with the lining to give it the ability to stand on its own. Otherwise it would just flop over.

You could use cardboard in the bottom but with the interfacing it's completely washable.

• FlamingO in AR
    17 years ago

That is very cute, myyellowstang, good job. I made some of those years ago and always got a lot of compliments on them. If you buy used jeans at the Goodwill they are very inexpensive to make. Little girl jeans would make cute purses for little girls.

I always used the legs of the jeans to make a shoulder strap, but I like your handle idea even better. It looks more chic. Thanks for sharing your purse!

I think if you can get $30-$40 for them, you'll make some money and have happy customers, too.

• gluecille
    17 years ago

Great Job, I love it. I have wanted to tackle one of these and just haven't taken the time.

• missy11
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. I want to make one for football season. I want to put our mascot on it. My dauther is a cheerleader and I think I will make them all one too. Thanks for sharing. I love it.

Missy

• Terrylee
    17 years ago

I love it! I made several years ago, but used the legs of jeans for the strap. Your handles are wonderful. How are they made?

• chrisstitch
    17 years ago

thanks for posting a pic of your purse.....it is very attractive and seem to be very popular again.....I have used the belts of jeans for handles but I loved your handles.......more up to date look........I have been into recycling blue jeans for many years and every time I get it out of my system someone like you come up with another fun thing and back I go into the business again.........I have made lots of tote bags with 8in" and 6in" squares and I have anembroidery machine so when I need to run a sample I always use an eight inch square of denim and then later they can be incorporated into "something" this is the first time I have been to this forum......I spend lots of time on the hosta forum...I have two addictions......hosta and thread of many kinds and colors.Chris

• purdybear
    17 years ago

Myyellowstang,
    Can you please e-mail me with directions for that purse..It is beautiful..I have been looking for a pattern for almost a year now..I want to make them for christmas presents for my family..I have an idea of how to start, but thats it..I love the handle..but I have no idea how to do it..I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me some directions..

Thank you so much

• mariend
    17 years ago

Just a though--when you make these purses and sell them at a craft show, the person usually knows about how much they are willing to pay--and what style they want. I picked up 2 for my GD's christmas but really did not care for most of the styles. BUT, if you were to try to make them for friends/co-workers, you might find each one trying to tell you how to make it, what colors to use, the decorations etc. And even then it might not be just what they were looking for and even though they might never tell you they are unhappy--the thought/feeling is still there. BUT, it you treat it like a business, stating this is the style I will make etc. then it gives them a choice whether to buy it or not. Lots less pressure--more professional. Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

• pattico_gw
    17 years ago

A lady here in our town who sells purses she makes uses the plastic cross stitch stuff that you sew yarn in for a craft. I don't know what it is called.For the stiff sides and bottom.

• sstyree
    17 years ago

Commenting on your question about pricing your purses, I tend to agree that $30-$40 would be a reasonable price. I work with a gal who makes them and her's have bottoms in them and they stand up. She charges $20 and I told her that was too low a price. She sold the boss one for that price. I sew and do crafting also, so I know how much work goes into some of these projects, and people who don't do this sort of thing don't understand. I say set a price and be firm. Another thing is that you can dress the purses up and charge more by adding machine or hand embroidery, buttons, beads, rhinestones, studs, and patches. You can also add pockets from other jeans to the inside liner which makes it more fancy. The gal I spoke of said a lady had her make one and wanted her to "bling" it up. The possibilities are endless. Love the handles, would you be so kind as to share how you did them? Good luck and thank you for sharing.

• sharon159
    17 years ago

That bag is great....I have seen them before and heard they are pretty expensive. I would really like to make one myself, could someone tell me where I could find the directions on how to make one? Thanks

• jasmineere_hotmail_com
    16 years ago

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Make-a-Jean-Purse/
    This website shows how to make jean purses. My mom's co worker Claire makes purses just like this. They're really cute. She is going to buy me one.

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I'd say between $30 and $40 also. As others have mentioned, those who don't craft don't realize the time and effort it goes into making a lot of things. Remember too, you can pick up good, clean bluejeans at super low prices at your local Goodwill or Thrift Store.

Sal

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

The original note was posted long ago, Aug 11, 2006. I wonder how she did with her purses.
    I have made many purses like this. I don't sell them tho, I just give them away. LOL
    Goodwill and Salvation Army thrift stores have gotten a bit greedy I think. Adult jeans start at $8.99 and the kids are 6.99. That is no deal for used jeans. I can buy new ones and distress and fade
    them myself for less at Walmart.
    The design possibilities are endless with these.
    I have several hanging here now just waiting for the right person.
    When I get tired of making jean bags I make raggie bags like these. They are super easy.

• enjoyingspring
    16 years ago

Your raggy bags are wonderful, would you like to share how they are made??

• jenni_ca
    16 years ago

All I do is cut the squares and sew them together wrong sides facing. I use the fabric and a layer of flannel because it frays good. Put the whole bag together with those strips of squares and snip the seams. Toss it in the washer a few times,and it frays really good.
    It really is as simple as that.
    I make inside pockets in mine but that is simple too.

• justlinda
    16 years ago

Oh yikes, that black and gold one is calling me. The bags you create are stunners Jenni. Thanks for showing them all to us.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

And I love the floral one. I've seen baby blankets made like that but never dreamed it could be made into such a cute purse. Very nice and very creative, Jenni. Luvs

• themodernmom
    15 years ago

The purse is great! As you can tell by your responses, you have quite a talent! Recently, I did some market research on eBay to see how much a person would pay for a purse made from jeans. I was shocked when one that I was watching sold for $90.00! The starting bid was $19.99. The person that is making these purses is making quite a lot of money! You can, too! Best of luck to you!

Here is a link that might be useful: About Me

• lindat
    15 years ago

Help
    I need to make a purse like yours for my daughter. I an get the jean part, but the lining has me stumped. Can you please forward me some directions. and about the handles, too
    I really appreciate hearing from you thanks
    I can not find a pattern for this anywhere
    thanks again

• nancy1943
    15 years ago

I buy jeans at garage sales for twenty-five cents to $1.00 a pair. Then wash them and you're ready to cut them up. I also cut the legs off & sew elastic into both ends, add a hanging cord of some type and presto - you have a bag holder.

• bluejeanpurses
    15 years ago

I see the original note was a few years ago. I too make these purses and have been for about 4 years. I am always looking for new ideas and would love to hear if people still like these (I don't think they ever go out of style for some) and if you'd like to see anything different. I'm thinking about making some fabric purses as well. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.aokcorral.com/vendors/bluejeanpurses

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida