Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transparent dipped flowers & leaves

Posted by RJVT (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 31, 05 at 15:16

When I was a kid, I remember making these. We would bend some wire and dip it some thick liquid. It would spread (like bubble soap) and then we would let it dry and make bouquets out of them. It was probably some kind of kit, but I don't know what the plastic-y liquid stuff was. Does anyone have any idea what this stuff was and if it is still available?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transparent dipped flowers & leaves

I know exactly what you mean and I'll be darned if I can remember what the stuff was called. I'll keep trying.....

o
RE: transparent dipped flowers & leaves craft

How about this....?

Here is a link that might be useful: Dip It Fantasy Film

o

Way back then, I used a product called Cast-o-lite. Basically it was a rosin product. You mixed some goop with a fixative and it had a fairly short shelf life before it hardened. The flowers were pretty, but dust seemed to cling to them and efforts to clean were not always successful.

o

All the sites for this stuff seem to be in the UK

Here is a link that might be useful: Fantasy Film

o

I remember that.If I remember correctly - my mom bought the KIT at our state fair - in the merchandise building. IT was fun to do !

o

they're selling a modern version of that at Michael's craft stores in the girlie craft kit section- called flower jewels, or fantasy flowers.

I remember the original stuff, which was taken off the market in the states when they realized just how toxic the fumes were (we're talking straight solvents, here- makes PVC stuff look tame)

o

Thanks everyone! I will look in Michaels to see if I can find it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here