Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

working on a school wreath..input please?

donnas_gw
15 years ago

I guess this is a grapevine wreath (?) but it is a natural color. I don't know if I should spray paint it or leave it as is. All of the items are just laying on the wreath, I haven't secured them yet. There is a rectangle wooden plaque that I'm thinking of painting and writing something on. Maybe on the star also. Is the composition book too large? Should I take that off and use something else? Thanks.

{{gwi:1479546}}

Comments (16)

• goldilocs
    15 years ago

Hey there, my suggestion to you would be to wrap the wreath with eyelash yarn or a fun yarn and then hot glue the pieces onto that. The little book is cute but because it is large I would place it at the top or bottom and balance it with something similar in size like the apples. If you put it at the bottom you can also glue it to the ruler and get extra support.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

goldilocs, thanks for the input. What is eyelash yarn?? I've never heard of it.

• amberscu
    15 years ago

I agree with balancing the apple and the notebook. I would probably wrap "school themed" ribbon around the wreath and finish it with a bow out of the same ribbon on top. I have seen lots of cute ribbon with school busses and chalk boards, and other items of that sort on the ribbon. If this was for a classroom I think it might look neat to use ribbon that was school colors instead of the school themed ribbon. If you wanted to use the plaque you could spray it with chalk board paint and write something cute on it and glue the piece of chalk to the board. It might look cute hanging off the bottom? It's a very cute idea!

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

That's a great idea. When I think of school.. I think 'back to school'. How about adding some silk fall foliage to the mix as well!

See below link for eyelash yarn mentioned in the above post. WalMart & most major craft stores sell it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eyelash yarn

• goldilocs
    15 years ago

They sell what is called "fun fur" and eyelash yarn at stores like Michaels and AC Moore etc. It comes in multitudes of colors and styles. I like the eyelash yarn as it give a great effect on wreaths. It has long hairs and looks great. You have to wrap the grapevine to cover it completely though. It's something different. I use it alot on artifical wreaths and it comes out great.

• goldilocs
    15 years ago

I forgot to tell you to email me directly and I will send you a picture of a finished wreath using the yarn.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I'm attaching a link to a post about school wreaths from last August on here. There are some cute ideas and some pics as well, so thought you might enjoy reading it as well. Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: School wreath post Aug. 2007

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

amberscu, I looked in Michael's, and the only school ribbon I could find was about 1/2 to 5/8" wide. It was white and had "arithmatic" on it written in red. I think English was on there also. It was on a tiny spool so I couldn't see what all was on there. I didn't care much for that one. It was all I saw that was school related.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

njtomboy, thanks for the link. I have seen that stuff at Walmart. Kind of looks like feathers. Will have to see what it looks like on a wreath before I decide to buy it. I did like the pic of the knit hat at the bottom of that website.

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Can you buy small bottles of blackboard paint, like the size bottles that acryllic paints come in?

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

luvs, thank you for the link.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

I'll throw in my 2 cents! The wreath is not grapevine as grapevine is rough & has those little tentacles & is a brown color. This is smooth & light. But will make great wreath, I agree the book should be at bottom with ruler across or under it & apple up at top- could you paint a green leaf on each, needs to look "more personal" for the kids, the star might look great with thin line of glue & gold glitter around edge of it. Would a wired ribbon be available in school colors. Could run it around under & between the items. Then a bow might not be needed. Kids are ones the wreath is aimed at so should be about their "stuff" Anyway maybe you can get idea or 2 from this & with rest of ladies you'll come up with a great wreath!! Jan

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sunnyca...I really wasn't sure if it was a grapevine wreath or not. I thought maybe it might be a different type of grapevine wreath. The only place I can find these are at the Dollar Tree Store. It says on the tag "round wreath"...nothing about what type it is.

• sunnyca_gw
    15 years ago

Donnas, I went back & looked at your other wreath, it is a grapevine wreath!! If you don't paint at all the apples could get bit of glue & red glitter to give some bling . You need highlight & lowlights. To see what I mean, look at wreath as is in pic. Seems like "something missing" reason you asked us! It is basically flat & "storebought" that's where your artistry comes in, you give it the warmth,depth & bling!! With a wreath you can move things around until you are happy & then glue it all down!! You'll get it!! Jan

• barb_from_pa
    15 years ago

I think I'd paint it, wrap some ribbon or both. I know what ever you decide it will be really cute.

• craftylady-2006
    15 years ago

Is this for a specific class? How about using pics of the kids in the class on the wreath.

Sal

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!