Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wilsonkaye

jewelry wire for Christmas dangle ornament?

wilsonkaye
9 years ago

I can only find a couple of tutorials on the web and neither of them address my problem. So I'm hoping some of you crafting gurus will know.

What kind of jewelry wire do you use for a Christmas dangle type ornament? I've tried 16g, 18g, 20g and 22g. The problem is that when bent, they stay that way until bent back into alignment and that is often hard to do.

So I got some Beadalon .018 inch and it is very flexible and does not stay bent BUT has another problem - if I don't put a heavy bead at the bottom, it turns upward instead of hanging straight down. Depending on my design, I may or may not want a big bead at the bottom.

Anybody know what I should do?

Thanks,
Sherry

Comments (13)

• steiconi
    9 years ago

maybe you could use fishing line--the thinner kinds don't need a lot of weight to hang straight.

Or, a bit classier, use silk or synthetic beading cord.

This post was edited by steiconi on Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 2:03

• wilsonkaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't mention it, but I actually used a very thin fishing line for my very first one just bcs that was what I had on hand. Unfortunately, the end curled up quite badly. Thanks, tho.

• wilsonkaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes they are from beads. But a head pin isn't long enough. Most of them are at least 6 " long or longer.

I looked at some in person today and the maker had just used a very very thin jewelry wire, so I guess I'm back to looking for that.

Thanks!
    Sherry

• wilsonkaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I guess I never posted a pic of what I was making! These were made with the thick wire which didn't work out to well.

• wilsonkaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say that all the ones I looked at today had a teardrop or other type of bead or charm attached to the bottom of the ornament. So that might be what I have to do to keep it from curling up when I use lightweight wire/thread/line to make them.

• tripletmom83
    9 years ago

I have made several of these types of ornaments with a jewelry wire called tiger-tail. I get it at Joann's. You will have to use crimp beads on them. But without a somewhat heavy bead at the bottom they might still curve a little. But you could use a beading thread,which is really a braided fishing line called Fireline, or Wildfire. I would thread these with a beading needle, and you can knot this thread. Also using this fine thread on a beading needle allows you to go through the beads several times and would definitely hang nicely. Joann's carries Wildfire, Hobby Lobby carries Fireline and Wildfire..

• sameboat
    9 years ago

I think they're great!

• tripletmom83
    9 years ago

Wilsonkaye, I found a picture of an ornament made with tigertail although I still think Fireline might be your best bet. It also comes in different strengths. I use 6 lb. for all my jewelry projects, but sporting good stores sell 8 and 10 lb. I haven't tried them though.

• wilsonkaye
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks tripletmom83 and others. Obviously there is a lot more to this than I envisioned. I thought it would be a quick and easy way to use up some beads that are too large for my other ornaments, but I don't even know what a beading needle is, lol!. So I think I need to put this project on the back burner since I have so much to learn. I'll have the first half of next year to learn how to do it and can get some ready by next Christmas.

Thanks again everybody.
    Sherry

• tripletmom83
    9 years ago

I'm sorry if I made it sound complicated. It really isn't at all. I actually got started out making ornaments just like yours.I had hundreds of crystal beads I saved from my daughter's wedding centerpieces. Once I started I couldn't stop, added pearls and other beads Gave some as gifts and loaded up my own tree Used tigertail for all of them. It is very inexpensive. .When I went on pinterest looking for other ideas I found all these beautiful bead covered Christmas ornaments,round glass balls with intricate beaded netting.. It took several tries before I found the right beading thread and needles. The first needles I bought were impossible to thread. They even came with a needle threader that did not fit through the eye and broke the first time I tried. I was very frustrated. Finally got the right needles. English beading needles size 10 or 12. 10's are easier to thread and should go through the beads you are using just fine..The funny thing is that once I got started watching you-tube videos I became more obsessed with making jewelry. I still have not made any of those Christmas balls. But I intend to make some as Christmas gifts this year.

• Liddybuff
    9 years ago

Triplemom, aren't the You Tube videos awesome??? I have learned how to do so many beautiful jewelry projects using them. The best part is that if you don't catch something the first time you can pause, go back, and repeat it again. I have lots of great books on jewelry making but the videos make them all come to life. I think there is a video for anything you could want to learn.

• craftyintx
    7 years ago

You might want to check at a jewelry-supply store for different types of wire, in addition to the different gauges. A half-soft would bend easier, and you can harden it on a block; if you use a ball-peen hammer, you can even texture the wire and let some of it show. If you want to stick with the more readily available wires (like at Hobby Lobby & Michaels, etc.), I'd go with 20g or 22g. Use rubber-coated pliers to straighten any unwanted bends in the pieces -- just gently pull the wire through them when they are barely closed. You can do the same thing with regular flat-nosed pliers and a dishtowel, but I'm kind of clumsy when I try to hold all of that together!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES