Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarr91

fall decorating ideas

dbarr91
16 years ago

Has anyone been thinking about fall decorations yet? I usually put up my Christmas tree and decorate it for fall. Any other ideas?

Comments (23)

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Your Christmas tree sounds great..very different..haven't seen that before.. very creative..must be beautiful!

I just love fall decorating.. For my out side, (just one of my favorites) I use the urns from spring/summer flowers. I fill it in with ever greens (so it hangs over the rim ) I put a pumpkin in the center, and add red/orange sprigs of "berries" and place the urns on either side of my door. (nice and full..lots of greens). I have a big beautiful dried fall wreath I hang on the front door. So simple, and looks beautiful, warm and inviting.

My favorite on the inside, is my dining room. on my table, I have a big handled glass bowl on a pedestal,( it's an antique) I fill it with artichokes, pomergranates, lemons, lemon and bay leaves .. on either side I put candles, and add some fall leaves around the base of the candle sticks. On my buffet table, I have a collection of ceramic serving dishes, pitchers, platters etc. all look like 'pumpkins' with beautiful stems and leaves for the handles, or bordering the dish etc. candles, and a beautiful fall floral arrangement .. on my entry hall table, I have a huge flat basket filled with gourds (lots of gourds) and three candle sticks in different heights toward the back corner. these simple, but elegant decorations serves well into Thanksgiving. I set my table with a mix of antique china (been collecting for years) and some times I make "name tags" out of large fall leaves I get from my lawn and place it on the dinner plates..

wow..this is the first time I am thinking fall..I guess we all have to get out of the summer mode real soon!
    Happy decorating!
    Ree

• jaybird
    16 years ago

I have an old wagon that goes in the front yard with a bale of hay, corn stalks and pretty colored leaves. Later I add a couple of gourds and a few pumpkins, but those don't come until closer to Thansgiving due to the heat. The week before T-giving I add a few pots of chrysanthemums. I don't decorate or carve pumpkins for hallowe'en, but on the day of, I may put out a tin jack'o'lantern that I have with a glow stick or two to light him. I do give treats to the neighborhood kidlets, so he sort of welcomes them without any of the scary junk. I LOVE fall, so I usually start with a few decorations about the first of September....even if it is still 100 degrees!! :^(

• jaybird
    16 years ago

Ree-ree we posted at the same time and your deco's sound lovely!! I too think the idea of a "fall tree" sounds wonderful....hope we get to see some pictures...hint hint....

• dbarr91
    Original Author
    16 years ago

These sound great! I always start decorating the inside around the first of September, (I decorate every room so it takes awhile!) I don't really do halloween either, although I do pass out candy to the children that night. I have been trying to post a picture of my tree, but I can't seem to figure out how.

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Jaybird
    I love the wagon theme! I use to do that too! Then I saw the urn idea in a magazine, I tried it..I really like the way it looks..so I have kept my ol' wagon in the garage the past few years..I should take it out again..I use to fill it with pumpkins and mums. I placed the bails of hay in front of it, and put more mums on the hay, and a scare crow sitting on the end....I also tied a big orange & gold bow on the wagon handle..( put them together then tied) kind of gave it a nice 2-D effect. It served Halloween as well, as I also do not like skeletons, witches and goblins lol!

I would love to try the Christmas tree..I can see large artichokes, lemons, bunches of orange berries & fall leaves in bunches..I would even put orange and gold miniature lights on.. hmmm..maybe I will try it..I really love the idea!

If anyone can tell me how to post pictures..I will give it a try once I finish (didn't start yet..but soon..usually after labor day) and you do the same..I would love to see your pictures!

I am pretty new to this forum and so happy I joined..such a great, creative bunch of people here!
    Ree

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Reeree, Glad to have you joining in here. Be sure to check in on the Holiday forum too for more Fall ideas. Many of us go both places.

All of you have wonderful ideas that sound so pretty. I too prefer to decorate for Fall and then just add a few pieces when Halloween rolls around and take them away after. Nice to be able to get three months out of the decorating. LOL

I think all my pics are still on the holiday forum--you might want to check last years posts for them and pics other members posted. We were all thrilled with the stacked plates posted by Judithva last year. Hers were so gorgeous.

There are several posts on the forums on how to post pics.

For me, I opened a free Photobucket account, transferred the pics I wanted from my computer. Then you can click on the pic or pics you want to post on here, go to the bottom of the page, click on "generate url or html code". This takes you to the next page, right click on the top choice, select "copy" then exit Photobucket and come here to your post and right click and select "paste".

Give it a try, and be sure to come back if you need more help or have any questions. We will all look forward to seeing your pics.

Luvs

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Thank You Luvs! I will give that a try. I will search for you on Holiday..I would love to see your pictures and creative ideas! (and the other members too)
    have a great day!
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

wow!!! I went to Holiday..been on there over an hour already..what a creative group! Are all of you professional decorators? geez! Thanks Luvs..I am really enjoying it!
    Ree

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Glad you had fun! You sound just like I did when I first found all these forums and the great pics. I spent about two weeks just looking through all the previous posts! So many great ideas and such talent. ;o)

No, most are not professional decorators--just doing what they love to do.

Know you will find lots of fun things to look at. If you like to decorate your yard, be sure to check out the Garden Junk forum too--it's another of my personal favorites. And I have to mention the Tole & Decorative forum--lots of great pics of projects there too--that one is my personal "passion". LOL

Luvs

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Luvs,
    Thank you very much! You are a doll!! I can definitely see where this forum is very addicting (smile) I admire all the wonderful talent on here..you guys are great! You all look professional to me for sure! Your home must be drop dead gorgeous! I can only imagine. I actually went to design school..sad to say, I didn't finish. It wasn't easy with two small children at home. I did an internship at Thomasville. I worked for a short while with the decorator and the store buyer..my weakness is accessorizing wall space..always had a blank..the worse is..my own home. I can help others..but can't do my own..it's clear none of you have this problem ..lol!
    Love all the pictures! What an inspiration!
    Best!
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Luvs,
    I looked for the "Tole & Decorative forum" I can't seem to find it?? Where do I look on here ?
    Thanks again!
    Ree

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

I found it! I was looking under "T"..

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Designer school sounds so fun. Sorry you weren't able to complete the course, but the kiddies are the most important. Getting to intern at Thomasville would have been a great experience, they have such beautiful furniture.

Sorry to disappoint, but my home is still a work in progress, just when I think I have what I want, new things come out, or things need repainted or my tastes change. Never ending, but guess that keeps it interesting, right? LOL

Glad you found the Painting forum, many of the pics are in the gallery section. You can find that about a 1/4 of the way down the page. Just click on the red words.

Bet you love the Home Decorating forum on here. I don't post much there, but always check to see what colors, furniture, window treatments, etc. everyone is using now. Great group of people on all the forums, so join right in.

Luvs

• oddie
    16 years ago

I so love reading everyones ideas on fall decorating, I saw this idea somewhere and saved the photo

{{gwi:1479523}}

Oddie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oddie, I love the letters. Looks like they covered them in scrapbooking papers and then added some embellishments. I visited my neice while on vacation, and she had used the letters to spell out words in her craft/guestroom. They were so cute! Great idea. Luvs

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Wow, Thanks for all the inspiration. I'm getting in the mood too. I usually start after Labor Day. I'm even thinking I just might do my plant ledge this weekend. Here's some pics of my pictures from last year. And I also have some outside ones too at
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554784492yhoyYZ

Here is a link that might be useful: Inside Halloween decorations 2006

• reeree_natural
    16 years ago

Luvs
    I love the pictures and admire all the talent! Thanks again for helping me through this forum, it's great!
    Have a wonderful Labor Day weekend!
    Ree

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Cheri~ Loved the pics of your home. So many cute things. The outside is great too. Getting me in the mood for fall decorating. :) ~Anj

• Happy_Go_Lucky_Gayle
    16 years ago

Fall....
    Wonderful Big Deep Burgundy Pots with Yellow/Orange Fall Flowers and several Crotons!

Halloween...
    I plan to make a Moss Monster out of my Spanish Moss using wire for the framework. I think I first saw one on the Forum a couple of years ago.

Gayle

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Cheri, I just love your enthusiasm. Love how you decorate the whole house! I have a few Fall/Halloween decorations--you have a whole housefull! ;o) Saw so many things in the pics that I loved--too many to mention them all individually, but have to say that the way you decorate your ledge for the holidays is just awesome! Liked the decorated tree, the stacked pumpkin man, and would love to find patterns for some of your wooden pieces. Everything looks so festive and just fantastic as always. Luvs

• Cheri_C
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!!! Fall is my favorite time of the year. And all this talk is really getting me in the mood.
    Luvs, What wood things are you interested in? I just might be able to help you with some patterns.

• celia7879art
    16 years ago

Oddie, thanks for your image, they looks so cute.
    I like change differet paintings in differet seasons. Attach painting i loved very much.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• oddie
    16 years ago

Thank you glad you liked them!
    Cheri I so loved looking at your fall decorating! you sure do a beautiful job!
    celia7879art, love your painting, beautiful colors!
    I just decorate the outside, and dont do much anymore! now that the kids are grown, most of the things I make I give to them, I just love the makeing part.
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie