Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
danaoh_gw

pre-show sales/yo yos

danaoh
16 years ago

On my lunch and break at work I have been working on fabric yo yo American flags. My large flag uses 3 1/2 inch (finished), 7 across and 5 down. My small one uses 1 3/4 inch, 7 across and 5 down.

Gave a big one to a woman for her Bday, she ordered 2 small ones. Another woman wanted a big one and 2 small ones. Charging (pre-show and friend discount) $7 for small, $12 for big.

They really take about the same amount of work, 35 yo yos each. But of course, the big one takes about 3 times more material.

Thinking about $8 and $15 at the show - what do you think?

BTW - The show costs $30, more than paid for it already! It will be Nov. 10 - the only one I am doing

Also thinking about getting a small styrofoam cone, putting overlapping layers of small green yo'yos on it and adding small colorful buttons in some places. Use a real puffy red one on the very top, or maybe gold. Anybody done that yet?

Comments (9)

• lindaohnowga
    16 years ago

Making those Yo Yo's does take a long time. I'm sure your flags must be very pretty. I've not seen them used to cover styrofoam cones, but have seen trees made using them as a flat wall hanging, which just gave me an idea. Using the large yo yo's and making a casing around the edge and inserting ribbon to tie the yo yo shut, it could be a 12 Days of Christmas tree (or however many days you want). Into each yo yo could go a small gift...gum, candy, little puzzle, lipstick, etc. One yo yo would be untied each day until Christmas.

• wired
    16 years ago

Sounds like you are not charging enough. Depending on your cost of materials and your time, looks like you are working for less than minimum wage. Sure, you've sold some, but time is valuable when pricing anything you sell. However, if you are happy with what you are 'not paying' yourself, I guess that's all that matters.

• danaoh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

would you charge $10 and $20?

• danaoh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

my flags are about 9x12 and 18x26

• wired
    16 years ago

You have not said how long it takes to make one or your cost of materials. Start to finish, from cost of fabric, to cutting to completing the project. If it takes you an hour, not counting supplies for your 9x12 and your supplies cost say 2-3 dollars, you are not paying yourself enough. So the question would be how long does it take you to make the small and large and what is the cost of supplies.
    Too many people sell their precious handmade items way too cheaply and then it hurts everybody. Sewing items can take a lot of time for sure.

My belief is if you take your crafts seriously enough to sell them as a business, they need to be just that. Why spend hours creating a masterpiece, and give it away.

You also need to take into consideration the time at the show. Packing, unpacking and spending hours working the show. You should be paying yourself for that time too :-)

• danaoh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Don't know how long it takes because I sew while watching TV and talking to friends at lunch. Guess I should time making 2 or 3, then average it out.

I do know that the large flag takes about a total of 1 yard of $4 material. The smaller one takes about 1/3 of a yard of the same material.

If you don't count time, is the "rule" 3 or 4 times cost of materials?

• Terri_PacNW
    16 years ago

yes 3-4 times the cost of materials...

• wired
    16 years ago

If you do 3-4x's cost of goods, 4 x 4 =$16 dollars. If it takes you 3-4 hours from start to finish, cutting, sewing, assembling, you're paying yourself pennies. This doesn't include the time you spend at the show or booth fees. You would need to sell a huge amount at that price just to break even. If all you're trying to do is earn a few dollars for supplies, and not get paid for the many hours you spend, that's your choice. As for me, no way!

• danaoh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Have decided on $10 and $20. Problem is that I sold a couple at work for $7 and $12 - told them it was friends and family pre show price. Now I have sold 5 little ones and 1 big one for that price. Haven't had a chance to make any for the show. But I have more than paid my show entry fee now.

I work on the switchboard/information area. Have an American Flag hanging behind me. Of course, if anyone asks about them I do mention that they are for sale, but I can't "advertise" at work. Who can argue with an American Flag in the office? LOL

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer