Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
felting wool sweaters for purses.

Posted by danaoh (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 11:09

The last 2 or 3 sweaters have felted funny. They are 100% wool. The bottom inch or so has not felted as much as the body, so it "ruffles" a little. It is a continuous pattern, so shouldn't be any different. Guess I will use the bottom as a fold over on the top (is that clear?) Anyway, just wondered if anyone else has run into that, and is there a fix? I have put them in the washer 4 times.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: felting wool sweaters for purses.

I know nothing about "felting" except my darling Sister-in-law was at my house for a visit and deceided to wash some clothes, That's the beginning of the story !
She also threw in one of my expensive all wool sweaters and then put it in the dryer on high !!!! Oh, woe is me! It was felted ! This story is just for fun and not advise !

o

I don't know anything about this craft either, I just found out what felted wool was! I've sure done that by accident a few times, wish I'd kept that pretty pink fuzzy sweater I had. I've seen some small birds and pincushions I'd love to make out of it, and I did look up purses, those are so nice! I also saw a pair of mary-jane slippers that looked sweet, I'd make those and wear them! I'll have to check Goodwill for sweaters and socks.

o

Try googling "felting by hand". My sister in law felts by hand in her kitchen sink with hot water. But, I have no idea if she scrubs the wool item between her hands, or how she does it.

Are you putting a couple pairs of jeans or something in the washer with them to help with the agitation process? At least in the sink, doing it by hand, you can control the areas you want to felt more. I'm sorry I can't help you more. I don't know if you asked on the knitting forum, if anyone there can help you more, or not. It can't hurt to try.

Tami

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here