Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Story Bracelets

Posted by Cherryfizz (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 26, 05 at 5:33

My friend was wearing a beaded bracelet the other day and she said it was a story bracelet a friend had made for her. The story it told was religious and each coloured or shaped bead pertained to something in the story, 3 beads for the Magi and a bead for purity, a fish bead, etc. Have any of you heard of these story beads? I was also thinking it would be cool to have a family story bracelet. My family story would have a bead representing the Navy (Father), Scotland (Mother), 8 beads for 8 siblings, a bead for the death of a baby sibling, love, and beads to represent 11 nieces and nephews, etc.

Besides beads what items do I need to have to make a bracelet. Any special tools? What do I string them on?

I also have tons of vintage buttons and many mother of pearl buttons and I would love to make bracelets using them but again I have no idea where to begin. I have searched the internet but haven't really found anything that took my fancy.

I am thinking mostly of single strand bracelets and not the woven beaded type. Something maybe dainty and feminine.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Story Bracelets

Is this what you are looking for? http://www.just4kidsmagazine.com/craftoct.html They are called "Witness Bracelets". Another thing where I saw religious symbols used was called a "Jesse Tree" for ornaments. I found them mentioned on another site a while back. If you do a search, you could probably find variations and a place to get beads to make it into a bracelet. I'm not into jewelry making, but you might get some good ideas googling things like "button bracelet", "color symbols", or "birthstones"

o

There's a store called Praols Story Bracelets, based in southern San Diego, that handmakes many different 'story bracelets', including religious bracelets, inspirational bracelets, seasonal, and awareness (cancer, etc), among other things. Its mainly geared toward women and girls (who else would appreciate this kind of thing, right? =]), and they're just beautiful! The site is kind of going through a revamp of sorts, but there's a blog for updates. Tell everyone about this company and site, I really think they deserve a mention! The company is Praols Story Bracelets, and the site is www.praols.com. Enjoy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Praols Story Bracelets

o

These were sold at Hobby Lobby during the Christmas season a few years back.
There a few different versions also found in the ABC Distributing catalog as well.

ginger

o

another button braclet
http://blog.creativekismet.com/category/tutorials/

Here is a link that might be useful: button bracelet

o

Anne...I saw them at the "Cracker Barrel" and nearly bought one for myself. But I took it out of the package and tried it on...Too tight.

But I sure wish I had a picture so I could make one...

Only thing is...even though they had the same verse with them...they were different.. Not sure anyone would know what they were supposed to be , since they were different.

patti

o

The special tools/other items you might need depend on what kind of bracelet you want.

It sounds like you already have an idea of what you want your bracelet to look like. You could string the beads on elastic or leather or ribbon - in which case you would mostly need to tie some knots at the end.

You could attach your beads to a silver chain or create your own findings. Working with wire, you'll need something to shape it and something to cut it.

A good place to start mighht be your local craft store/bead shop or adult ed program. Try taking a class on jewelry making. That should give you some ideas for assembly.

This is a cool idea - I like the way you are telling your personal story.

Here is a link that might be useful: craftfetish blog

o

Pandora jewelry is kinda the same thing. You pick different beads and arrange them on your bracelet to tell a full story. Maybe not quite what you are looking for but they do have some good ideas for designs!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pandora Beads

o

This link works for Praols

Here is a link that might be useful: story bracelets and more

o

I did a search on story bracelets and here is a link that I came up with that shows what each bead in the story of Christ means.
http://www.coins4me.com/inspirational/his_story_bracelet.htm

I hope it helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here