Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Superglue on fingers - for 6 months!

Posted by pink_overalls (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 10, 07 at 0:51

Has anyone had a problem getting superglue on fingers and not being able to totally remove it? I tried nail polish remover when it first happened, but I must not have removed it sufficiently. It's been half a year now, and the inside edges of thumb and index finger on both my hands never completely heal. The skin there stays dry and cracks easily. It's as though the glue is under my skin and the skin refuses to heal, the way a finger won't heal over a splinter. Cortizone cream belps but doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Superglue on fingers - for 6 months!

Oh NOOO! Oh, that's SO annoying! That must be driving you batty.

I wish I knew what to tell you. Using nail polish remover or a little paint thinner does the trick. Have you tried paint thinner, and then washing your hands really well?

-Jenn

o

I wonder if it's really the glue that is the problem. Usually, soaking your hands in warm water for a few minutes is enough to loosen super glue and get it peelable. And since they use super glue instead of stitches in the medical profession, I doubt if it's still under the skin after 6 months. Unless you are allergic to it, I would suspect some other kind of skin condition. I have mild dyshidrotic eczema on my hands and what you're describing sounds similar to what I have.

I get good results using creams that have beeswax and glycerine in them, but steroid creams and antihistimines are more commonly used. Good luck to you.

o

Thanks for the input. The reason I believe it to be superglue is that these four fingers are where I got the glue on my skin when I had trouble getting the cap off one of those irritating little tubes. I had heard that superglue is used in surgery, but I assumed it was a special formula. Whether what I have is residual glue or a reaction to the glue, I'll go the beeswax and glycerine route and see what happens.

o

You're welcome, Pinky! :) (I'm very fond of pink!)

My main problems come from fondling fabrics too much and getting my hands wet too often. I guess the chemicals in the fabric dyes and finishes get to me. And water is bad for me, my dermatologist told be to avoid water and chemicals. I hope you find a solution to your problem!

Oh, and I think the only thing that is special about surgical super glue is that it's sterile.

o

I use superglue as a bandaid when I get cuts. So do most of my friends. It is much more sterile than using a bandaid that lets germs in.

Good luck figuring it out. Sounds like excema. Have you asked a Dr?

o

My doctor suggested cortisone, which helps. I am a housepainter by trade and now I wear cotton gloves all the time when working because the paints dry out these problem areas. I'd like to cure it instead of just treat it. I'm not crazy. I know it's glue-related. Can I just expect the skin to always be on the verge of drying and cracking? Is that what excema is?

o

Super glue should not be in your fingers for that long. I can't stand it on there for a few minutes and often find myself biting and picking until it's off of my fingers! LOL Like others said, wetting it tends to loosen it up and surely by 6 months later, the glue would be gone. It sounds like you have a different problem. Maybe it started as the glue and you had an allergic reaction or something and it's just compounding because it's not totally healing?

o

That sounds about right, Sweets. What will clear it up for good?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here