Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pink_overalls

Superglue on fingers - for 6 months!

pink_overalls
16 years ago

Has anyone had a problem getting superglue on fingers and not being able to totally remove it? I tried nail polish remover when it first happened, but I must not have removed it sufficiently. It's been half a year now, and the inside edges of thumb and index finger on both my hands never completely heal. The skin there stays dry and cracks easily. It's as though the glue is under my skin and the skin refuses to heal, the way a finger won't heal over a splinter. Cortizone cream belps but doesn't solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Comments (8)

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Oh NOOO! Oh, that's SO annoying! That must be driving you batty.

I wish I knew what to tell you. Using nail polish remover or a little paint thinner does the trick. Have you tried paint thinner, and then washing your hands really well?

-Jenn

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I wonder if it's really the glue that is the problem. Usually, soaking your hands in warm water for a few minutes is enough to loosen super glue and get it peelable. And since they use super glue instead of stitches in the medical profession, I doubt if it's still under the skin after 6 months. Unless you are allergic to it, I would suspect some other kind of skin condition. I have mild dyshidrotic eczema on my hands and what you're describing sounds similar to what I have.

I get good results using creams that have beeswax and glycerine in them, but steroid creams and antihistimines are more commonly used. Good luck to you.

• pink_overalls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the input. The reason I believe it to be superglue is that these four fingers are where I got the glue on my skin when I had trouble getting the cap off one of those irritating little tubes. I had heard that superglue is used in surgery, but I assumed it was a special formula. Whether what I have is residual glue or a reaction to the glue, I'll go the beeswax and glycerine route and see what happens.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

You're welcome, Pinky! :) (I'm very fond of pink!)

My main problems come from fondling fabrics too much and getting my hands wet too often. I guess the chemicals in the fabric dyes and finishes get to me. And water is bad for me, my dermatologist told be to avoid water and chemicals. I hope you find a solution to your problem!

Oh, and I think the only thing that is special about surgical super glue is that it's sterile.

• naughtykitty
    16 years ago

I use superglue as a bandaid when I get cuts. So do most of my friends. It is much more sterile than using a bandaid that lets germs in.

Good luck figuring it out. Sounds like excema. Have you asked a Dr?

• pink_overalls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My doctor suggested cortisone, which helps. I am a housepainter by trade and now I wear cotton gloves all the time when working because the paints dry out these problem areas. I'd like to cure it instead of just treat it. I'm not crazy. I know it's glue-related. Can I just expect the skin to always be on the verge of drying and cracking? Is that what excema is?

• sweets98
    16 years ago

Super glue should not be in your fingers for that long. I can't stand it on there for a few minutes and often find myself biting and picking until it's off of my fingers! LOL Like others said, wetting it tends to loosen it up and surely by 6 months later, the glue would be gone. It sounds like you have a different problem. Maybe it started as the glue and you had an allergic reaction or something and it's just compounding because it's not totally healing?

• pink_overalls
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That sounds about right, Sweets. What will clear it up for good?

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz