Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzieca_gw

Have you ever framed a piece of fabric?

suzieca
15 years ago

I got some fabric yesterday to make a throw pillow cover. I think the fabric would also look good if I could frame it and hang it on the wall. How would I go about doing that?

I'm not sure if I just glue it to some kind of frame or???

Anyone been there, done that? TIA!

Here's the fabric as a pillow:

{{gwi:1479128}}

draped over chair:

{{gwi:1479129}}

hanging on wall: the lighting is sort of washing out the colors. Looks nicer IRL and of course it need to be pressed.

{{gwi:1479130}}

Comments (12)

• amberscu
    15 years ago

I think it would look really nice if you covered a (painting)canvas with it. I would just staple it on the back, pulling the material tight, and put a frame around that. Or if your edges look really nice you could leave the frame off and hang it. (That is pretty material!)

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

That is exactly what I would do, what Amberscu said. That way it won't get droopy, if it's attached on all sides.

If you didn't want to do that, you could apply a liquid starch to it to stiffen it up and stretch it out until it was hard and dry and then pop it into a frame, but I think the first way would be easier and faster.

That fabric is perfect with that chair! I feel like plopping right down in there!

• suzieca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info...that was kind of what I thought, too. Amazingly, I found this fabric at Beverly's on the remnant table for about $5.97/yd and on the edge it says it's "An Original Copyright Design". I've never seen or heard of that before but then I haven't shopped for fabric in years.

If I starched it, would I use a spray starch? I'm not sure what you mean by 'liquid starch'???

• FlamingO in AR
    15 years ago

Liquid starch comes in a bottle, Suzie, in the soap/laundry aisle. Saturate your fabric and wring out the excess, first, before laying it out to dry. You could even apply the fabric straight to the wall, but I think framed would be nicer.

If you use the starch, test it first on a scrap.

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

I stretched some pretty fabric in small canvas type frames (different sizes) I made myself and they are still there 12 years later!

• njtomboy
    15 years ago

or you can frame it in quilting or embroidery hoops..

I got a ton of hoops & several many upholstery swatch books!

HTH - Hope this helps...

Here is a link that might be useful: PurlBee Swatch Portrait

• grandma_bonnie
    15 years ago

Thaqt WOULD be pretty - especially with the round frames and the square print!

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

What you need is to head to Hobby Lobby or an art supply store and ask for canvas stretcher bars. You by them in pairs to get just the size you want. I have linked to one put together below and here is a link to a close up of
    how they attach

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1479124}}

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

Well phooey! I did what I was suppose to do to get a live link in the message but it didn't work. There's a link below to how they attach.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1479125}}

• kathi_mdgd
    15 years ago

I have a piece hanging in my kitchen that i mounted.All i did was use one of the cardboard bolts that fabric comes on,wrapped it with batting ,then the fabric,the pinned a oiece of ribbon on the back to hang it.Very light weight,and hangs well.Here it is:

Kathi

• miles661
    15 years ago

I've made quilts and stretched those over hand-made pine frames. I have two such works hanging in our house now. Here is one example:

{{gwi:1479133}}

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Kathi, what a great recycling idea to use the cardboard from the fabric bolt. Hmm, wonder if you could paint on one of those? Sorry, I'm always thinking about painting surfaces. LOL Luvs