Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putka Pods

Posted by joyce58 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 27, 07 at 19:00

Can anyone tell me what exactly putka pods are? I know what they look like, but what plant do they come from and how and where are they grown?
I would like to use in Fall crafts... Are they glued easily to surfaces and how long lasting are they? Do they have an odor? Are they easily crushed or broken?
Thanks,
Joyce

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putka Pods

I found this site..don't know if it tells much about them...but it looks like a good price if you have to purchase some.

Here is a link that might be useful: pods

o

Joyce, they will break down over time, and can be broken if they are whacked hard enough. But I have some that I have had for a number of years and they seem to still be okay.

You can glue them on a wreath easily with plan craft glue.

They aren't scented unless you buy them pre-scented. If you want a smell to them, that's easy to do. Just buy a good quality fragrance oil and add a few drops to the pods, then seal in a plastic bowl with a lid or a big ziplock baggie, and put in a closet for a few days.

One word of warning-- keep them stored tightly when you aren't using them, if you have mice! I store mine in an old coffee can. Mice love them and tore into a bag I had them in and scattered them all over my craft closet a few years ago. I live on an 84 acre farm and get field mice in the house when they are harvesting the corn.

Check on ebay for them also. You can get some good buys there.

o

Thanks for the info Minicrazy....From your description, I guess these are solid....and thanks too for the tip about the mice!
Joyce

o

Joyce, I don't think putka pods can be grown here; I believe they are imported from India. They hold up well-I've had some for several years. Minicrazy is right about keeping them sealed in plastic or metal containers-mice will eat most pods and even some dried flowers. If you want them for fall, now is a good time to buy them-sometimes they can be in short supply if you wait too long. Good luck with your projects.

o

Yep, can't buy them here.they are pretty delicate too, so storage is an issue as mentioned above..and you can't grow them here.....normally they are brownish in color....I bought them on ebay a few years ago but they were orange..lvoed them for fall decorating and flroal displays

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here