Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
foggyj

decopage and digital pictures

foggyj
16 years ago

Posted by foggyj (My Page) on Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 17:14

Hi all, I have a question, and can't think of a better place to ask it. I want to decopage a picture of me & DH for our granddaughter, on a small wooden box. DH seems to think I may not be able to use Mod-Podge on an ink-jet, digital picture. Does a sealer of some sort, need to be applied first?

TIA

Comments (13)

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

I would say you would want to seal them first, Tia, because the inkjet ink might get too wet with the Mod-Podge and bleed, the way it does with marker. My other recommendation would be to take the pics to a place with a color laserprinter. I've had really good luck with decoupaging laser printed pictures.

--Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: My crafting/thrifting/decorating blog

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

I agree - seal them 1st or they will run. But Laser copies are almost ALWAYS best!

Hey Jenn!

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Hey, NJ! Nice to "see" you! :-)

• foggyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much. Now I know. Great site. TIA for all the information provided here.

• girlsingardens
    16 years ago

Foggyj,

I have had good luck with using regular copy paper and our ink jet printer. I then sprayed a couple of light coats of clear coat acrylic spray on the pictures. I just did 2-3 light passes over with 97 cent clear spray paint. When I did the modge podge they didn't bleed at all. Hope that helps.

Stacie

• foggyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Stacie, it does help. I think that's what I'll do, seeing as how those are the pictures I have. But now I know what's best for the future projects too.
    Thanks all.

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

Foggyi I am sorry if I wasn't clear - That's what Jen & I meant by "sealing." I was just repeating the word you use.. but - yes, I meant seal w/a clear spray acrylic. Please let us know how your project turns out.

• foggyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

njtomboy, I used a clear spray sealer on the pictures, and then when dried, decoupaged over them with no problem.

• foggyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Me again.... the top of the box I painted and decoupaged, sticks badly. It dried for 24 hours before I closed it and latched it. When I went to open it, it was stuck shut! I used a paring knife to pry it open. I notice the whole box feels slightly tacky. It's been several days now. It has 4 coats of Mod Podge on it, but surely it would be dry by now shouldn't it?
    I'm going to put a thin layer of petroleum jelly around the surfaces of the parts that touch.
    Is that something that happens with Mod Podge?

• dailycollector
    16 years ago

Hi Foggyi!

I've used Mod Podge for all the items I've decoupaged. However, I too had problems with bleeding when using pictures from my ink jet printer. I think using the spray acrylic is a great idea, and I will give it a try.

As to your sticky problem, did you let the layer of Mod Podge dry thoroughly before adding another coat? You mentioned that you painted it, too. Was the paint dry before adding the decoupage? That's the only thing I can think of. I've not had any problems with tackiness on my projects. You may want to start over, especially if it's really humid where you live.

Good luck! Hope this helps!

• foggyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It is humid here, but it's in AC all the time. I may not have let it dry real well between coats. That's what I think I did wrong. It's getting better. Now I know for the next project. Thanks.

• soso
    16 years ago

Decoupaged prints are a big seller at our craft shows.
    Just from my experience, I no longer use modpodge, it stays
    sticky forever and when packed everything gets ruined.
    I now use Aleene's Instant Decoupage. It come in a large tub.

I also mist a few times with a clear sealer and I found that laser prints smear when wet also,,,,so still use my inkjet......lol

• foggyj
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found out that the box was stuck shut after it had dried for two days! I had to pry it open with a knife. Talk about being sticky! All I could think to do, was put a thin layer of petroleum jelly around the upper edges of the box, and the top. I wasn't real happy with that part.
    Sealing the picture first, did the trick to prevent any smearing.
    If I do any more, I'll look for Aleene's. Thanks for the tip.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional