Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shysue

Recycled Soda Can Frogs

shysue
16 years ago

I needed a sign to go on my container pond. I also like to recycle, so I used soda cans for the frogs and bottle caps for their eyes.

{{gwi:182774}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Shysue's Album

Comments (13)

• Tnflower_lover
    16 years ago

That is so neat. Never would have thought of it. Thanks for sharing, now I must try one

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Shysue, love your frog sign, it is so cute. Loved looking at your album too--you've got lots of wonderful things to see in it. ;o) Luvs

• scottymam
    16 years ago

Very cute idea! What are their arms made from?
    I also enjoyed my "mosey" through your gardens. My mom would love to see some of these, especially your "garden of lost soles", but she does not have a computer, may I print it out to send her?

Ellie

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Scottyman, I'm glad you enjoyed my garden. I certainly enjoyed doing it. The arms on the frogs are just strips cut from soda cans and run through a crimper. Feel free to print out anything you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Shysue's Album

• anjabee
    16 years ago

shysue, love your frogs!! Reminds me I have a book somewhere with squashed can animals in it. Bluebirds and pigs are the only ones I remember. I need to get that out and look at it again. May try to copy your frogs though for my SIL who is a frog collector. Great job. very cute sign. ~Anj

• oddie
    16 years ago

Love your frogs, they are so cute! you have lots of cute things in your album also. thanks for shareing!
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• thrift_shop_romantic
    16 years ago

Your frogs are cuties-- really like how you lettered the sign-- and also enjoyed the cheery magical qualities of things like your bottle tree, bowling balls, and other quirky yard ideas. Funny how a bit of colorful glass and a sense of humor can make a yard feel special.

--Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: My crafting/thrifting/decorating blog

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I would love the directions to them. My friend lives in a little town that has "Frog Fest" every year. The town mascot is a frog --- that weekend everybody displays their frog decorations ! They even have frog jumping contests ! Are their directions anywhere ? I'd love to be able to donate some cutsie frogs !!! Thanks :)

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Toomuchglass,

I will try to write out the directions for you.

You will need:

5 soda cans
    4 bottle caps
    4 flat backed black glass marbles
    scissors (I used cheap Dollar Store scissors)
    paper crimping tool
    spray primer
    green spray paint
    red acrylic paint
    paint brush
    E6000 glue
    6 1/2" x 10 1/4" cardboard or wood
    black permanent marker or paint pen
    wire

For the two bodies, remove tabs from cans. For each can press on rim to bend top down. Do the same for the bottome rim. Step on middle of can to flatten body further. Cut through opening and down to bottom of remaining cans, then cut tops and bottoms off. These will be for the legs. Cut four 3/4" x 8 1/4" strips for hind legs. Cut four 1/2" x 8 1/4" strips for forelegs. Crimp all the legs with crimper. Freehand draw a pattern for feet. Trace eight feet onto remaining pieces of cans and cut out. Spray prime everything including bottle caps, then spray paint green. Paint inside of opening red for mouth. Glue marbles to inside of bottle caps for eyes. Glue feet to legs, then legs and eyes to bodies. Paint your sign anyway you want, then add wire as hanger. Glue frogs to back of sign. If your sign and frogs will be outside use GE Silicone II for Windows and Doors as the glue. Also use wood for the sign instead of cardboard. Use exterior paints to paint frogs and sign.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any questions, just ask and I'll try to explain it better.

• gardenduck02
    16 years ago

I wonder if you would be so kind as to repost the pics of your frogs. I would love to see them, but all I get are the dreaded red x's.
    Thank's so much.
    Deb

• shysue
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sorry about that, Gardenduck. I thought the post too old for interest and rearranged my Photobucket. Here you go.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Thank you for the directions ~ I'm going to have a ball making these !!!

• artsyfartsymom
    16 years ago

I love those frogs! this is such an awesome way to recycle those soda cans!! I've moved here (NC) from Michigan and last year I taught a recycling art class for 1st and 2nd graders...we used V8 and juice cans to make bats for halloween... the empty soda cans are worth 10 cents in Michigan...so most people won't craft with the soda cans there...I think I had found the pattern on line for the bats on the About.com web site...there were a bunch of differant patterns there for the soda cans...These frogs you have made would look perfect in my frog themed bathroom...I'm thinking the sign might say frogy baths 10 cents and have a soda pop can frog kicking back in a soda pop can bath tub? Think you may have just got the creative juices flowing...

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County