Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did I do wrong??

Posted by monicatx (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 7, 12 at 13:04

Hi, Everyone:

I had a cute metal box (very small) that I wanted to paint with craft paint. I cleaned off the metal top with alcohol before I did anything, then painted it with outdoor gloss paint. My thinking was it would take 3 coats. Well, I am on coat 4 and it still shows the original painted colors and words. Yes, I did let it dry about 45 minutes between coats. (I run a dehumidifier for health reasons so it should have been dry)

What should I have done to have my craft paint give better coverage? This is something I want to do again.
Thanks,
Monica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did I do wrong??

I think you probably needed to sand it and then coat it with a primer before you used the paint.

o

Hi, Adellabedella;

I did not sand it because I was painting around a fancy border that I wanted to keep. It is finally done, but 5 coats and not too smooth.

Thanks for your input.
Monica

o

Don't feel bad, I've bought a couple of different things at thrift shop & painting over a sign on wood- still kept showing through, words on metal are sometimes decals & you can still "read" it because the decal raises the letters. So I learned to use electric sander on wood & watch what is on metal. If you aren't happy with it you could take a stiff brush or even old toothbrush, lightly coat with paint little lighter or darker than what your paint was & lightly run your finger over the toothbrush onto a paper towel to see if the light over-spray makes the slightly messy paint less noticeable. You get light speckle (don't wet brush 1st tho) If too much paint wipe brush on paper towel so you get just a little when you do it over your project. Jan

o

Good idea. I will try that. From now on I will use a primer and not just a sealer.

Thanks,
Monica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here