Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tea staining ?

Posted by ladycraft (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 12:34

I'm tea staining things I have made from muslin. I would like to make them stifffer/harder. Has anyone tried modge podge in the process? Or does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tea staining ?

I have heard that baking them in the oven at 250 hardens them. YOu have to be careful that they aren't dripping wet when you put them in. I did that and scorched them. Keep checking on them to make sure they aren't burning.

o

Thanks I will give that a try. I omited that step and used the sun because I was to lazy! Didn't realize that was why they did that.

o

A thin mix of watery glue will stiffen it really solid, as would purchased fabric stiffener. If you just want it slightly stiff, I'd use starch.

When I made dolls and wanted "tea-stained" muslin, I used Tan Rit Dye to get the color with no fuss (and no broken tea bags!) If I needed to make it grungier, then I would dab on tea or instant coffee concentrate, but the smell always bothered me a little after that.

o

I don't like the smell either. There is a booth at craft mall that has nothing but really grungy stuff and it smells bad. Would probably smell the entire house. I usually just spray some if I need it.

o

I have some clothes pins I would like to grundge up- and was wondering if wood can be tea stained, too?

o

I don't know about wood. I have found a method to grunge things that seems to work on several different surfaces. If you google how to grunge a jar it will give directions Or you can search how to make new wood look old. It uses vinegar and steel wool. I bought the steel wool but haven't tried it. Or if you just want different color use some wood stain. I have some ebony that would make it look older.

o

I always heard after staining [put in dryer it will set color

o

Leave it to Pinterest!

coffee, vinegar and steelwool

Here is a link that might be useful: wood stain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here