Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice for shell wreath base format

Posted by phish (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 12, 13 at 10:26

Hi. I'd like to make a shell wreath. But I want a very basic simple base so as not to distract from the decorations. Therefore I don't want to start with a vine wreath or a greens wreath. But I do want it to be strong enough to be durable (I made one before with my desired "simple" base of styrofoam, but then it broke in half). Any advice on what material or base I should start with? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice for shell wreath base format

I made sort of 1 that I had seen on a friend's wall. It was a ring of gold metal 6-8 in. across then using "ocean" "sand" colored rough yarns wrapped the edge with rope looking yarn &filled in the ring(up & down- not side to side & glued on the shells. The ends of yarn hung below in various lengths to look nice. DIL was thrilled to have it for her new home. She loves the ocean! Sounds like you want the whole thing covered so I would cut a 1/4 or 1/2 in. thick circle of wood & glue it to foam & attach it with wire to the Syrofoam wreath ring. Use foam ring to pattern the wood. When attached to foam , perhaps you could spray paint the wood & foam sand color before you add shells so it looks very beachy! Have fun! Jan

o
RE: Need advice for shell wreath base format

I made one but I used grapevine.I made a beachy wreath,so grapevine looked good,I even draped netting over part.Turned out really pretty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here