Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thrift_shop_romantic

Birdhouse-windchime

So at the risk of totally looking inept, I thought I'd share an idea I have for an item I'm sending someone in an outdoor decorating swap. (If it doesn't work, I'll look silly... but hey, what the heck, right?)

Anyway, I know my swap partner wants some windchimes, and I also know she's spent a lot of time working on her cottage home. So I was thinking of getting a wooden birdfeeder similar to the shape of her home, paint it up in those colors, and then add interesting keys and door plates from our local salvage place to hang from the bottom as windchimes.

Does this idea sound clever or silly? How would you folks feel about receiving something like this? I originally was thinking of doing a silverware windchime, but I think the door hardware idea is more themic.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

-Jenn

My thrifting/crafting/decorating blog:

http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

Comments (18)

• socks
    16 years ago

It sounds very nice. Will the door hardware "chime?"

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ha--'m hoping so-- That's the theory anyway. (Or artistically "clank" rather, if not exactly "chime" :-) )

I think some old keys might do the trick. We shall see!

• njtomboy
    16 years ago

It actually sounds very interesting... I would love to get something like that:

- as it would be unique
    - it would have an interesting story to go w/it (part of a swap)
    - and it sounds like a charming addition to a cottage...

So yes....Do you need my address???? hahahahaha

• patty1297
    16 years ago

Oh that sounds very sweet and charming to me, I am sure anyone would like that. Maybe tiny garden tools would look cute hanging there also. Let us know how she likes it.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, by way of an update, I wasn't able to find appropriate keys for the piece (PS-- love the tiny garden tools idea, Patty! Will keep my eye out for these sorts of things for future use, I think)...

My alternate plan is using some silverware I found at a thrift. It's not quite what I'd wanted, but I don't want to delay the swap by being late with the project either.

So far the birdhouse is painting up really nicely, at least!

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

On my way to work there is this one house which has a birdhouse out front constructed exactly like the house, same colors, same sort of door, etc. It's really cute so I say go for it. I think whatever you use for chimes would be great. I know I would love it if someone made me a birdhouse that looked like my home.

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

I love birdhouses that clang too, tsromantic! LOL
    Seriously, it sounds cle-ver to me with such a nice personal touch with the paint job and all.

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks much to all of you for the wonderful moral support. It's looking not so bad so far. I've gotten two of the spoons on, and they really do ring nicely-- better than I'd anticipated. So I hope to finish the rest of that off tonight.

I suppose the birds will get no sleep-- There'll be a lot of groggy birds with dark circles under their eyes in the neighborhood.

But I guess you can't have everything. :-)

--Jenn

• oddie
    16 years ago

Oh Jenn you sure can make me laugh! would love to see your birdhouse windchime when you are finished, I am sure you did a beautiful job that anyone would love to have and display!
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

:-) Sure, I'll take some photos when I'm done.

In fact I'd thought last night I WAS done. Then I discovered this morning the marine glue I was using to connect the silverware isn't holding properly-- spoons were dropping like rocks. So looks like I'm going to be trying to use a metal drill bit and drill through them... I'd been hoping to avoid that (to be honest, using drills kind of makes me nervous)...

But we become brave for the love of our crafts, don't we? :-) Summoning courage... and maybe some protective eyewear...

--Jenn

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hey, Jenn, do you know about www.thistothat.com? Lists what kind of glue to use for different surfaces.

I know the ladies on the Garden Junk website swear by GE Silicone II for windows and doors--but I don't know if it is the right glue for your project.

Yes, do use your protective eyewear and just take your time. I don't think the silverware will be too hard to drill.

Good luck, and we will be looking forward to a pic of your project.

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Glue site

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info Luvs. No, I hadn't heard of either of those sites, so it's good to know.

I tried drilling last night but even going slow with a bit for metal (as I had found was what you're supposed to do for things like this) it was NOT drilling through. The silverware I'm using is stainless steel, and so I'm going to just search the thrifts on the weekend for a couple more pieces that already have pierced handles (as two I have already do), and go from there.

It's always an adventure, isn't it? I hope my swap partner doesn't think I'm just making it all up when I say I'm still working on one of her swap items! I feel terrible about all the delays.

--Jenn

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi, everyone-
    Thanks for the support in getting through this project. I finally finished the thing, and sent it off to my swap partner who was, indeed, happy with it. I guess there's some custody issues now between she and her husband over whether the chimes go on their main porch, or by the building where she makes her homemade soaps.

I'll put the link to the swap pics below, if anyone wants to see how it turned out.

Thanks again for hearing me out when I was trying to plan this project. Sometimes it's hard to know when you're first trying something whether it's a good idea or just silly.

--Jenn

Here is a link that might be useful: Birdhouse-Flatware Windchime and other swap stuff

• wired
    16 years ago

Looks great. Love the house and red beads.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Jenn, your project turned out great! I had no idea drilling a hole in silverware would be so hard. Great idea to use the beads too. Luvs

• thrift_shop_romantic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks muchly! :-)

Luvs, as I understand it, drilling a hole in actual silver flatware isn't a problem, given it's a soft metal. But I the stainless steel flatware is the tricky stuff.

Honestly I don't think I'd feel right drilling a hole through nice silver (and devaluing it), anyway. I'd like to make one more of these birdhouse chimes-- this one for my best friend's mother-- but I'm going to have to find a decent workaround so it still looks good but I can feel sure the flatware will stay attached to the cords.

At least going forward I don't have any real deadlines!
    -Jenn

• Pieonear
    16 years ago

That is just too cute! You did good!

• oddie
    16 years ago

OMG! I just love it! you did a beautiful job! been waiting to see your birdhouse chimes, sure was worth the wait!
    Happy Crafting
    Oddie

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6