Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
vinyl records

Posted by foggyj (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 26, 07 at 8:21

Hi everyone, I was short on manners by just jumping in to ask for something a while back. Apologize for that. I've been on other forums, but this is definately one of the favorites. Can't help but learn from each other. For that I'm thankful. I'm not real crafty, but sometimes I need to be, for one reason or another. This is one of those times.
I need to come up with ideas for favors, etc. for a 50's party.
I was going to melt the old 45's into bowls. When I put in a search on the forum, there weren't any comments on how. I've heard it smells pretty bad. I need to make 24 of them!
Found the records at a thrift store. Any ideas.?
Thanks for any hints you can provide.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: vinyl records

This is so much fun - and I don't think it stinks.

Use a can opened on both ends. Should be about the size of the record label.

Place the can on a cookie sheet (only do one at a time!!!) Place the record on the can, centering it onto the can. Your oven is at 200 degrees. Watch it carefully. DO NOT LEAVE!!!!

I found that some of my 45's just curled but most melted. That means they kind of droop. Take the cookie sheet out of the oven.

I am able to use my bare hands on the record, but some people can't. You have about 20 seconds or less to shape it. I had a bowl that was just the right size. I put the record on the bowl and just shaped the soft record over the bowl. Makes you feel like you are really creating something.

I took clear contact paper and made circles the size of the label. One piece on each side. You can not use liquids, only dry foods. Also, no dishwasher, of course. Gentle washing by hand, or if you are careful about what you put into it, you would only have to wipe it out.

Have fun - I sold these at a craft show. $7 for the 33's, $5 for the 45's. By the way, people really pay attention to what the record is - I also made a box out of a Perry Como album cover, made a bowl out of the record. Sold the set for $15.

o

Thank you, that's just what I needed. I'll do a practice one. Thanks for, how to address the hole in the bottom too.

o

Found this - hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Record Bowls

o

Thanks barb, that does definately help! I think I'd like to try a heat lamp, or something besides my oven, after reading that though! Especially because I need so many. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here