Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gorilla ruined my project

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 4:36

Does anybody know of a good glue that will hold buttons to wood and can be out in the weather? I made a door hanger - wooden sunflower head with buttons in the center for the "seeds" - used Gorilla glue and it looked fine - until later, when the glue expanded all over the place and made it look really sloppy. Gorilla holds very well but expands 3 to 4 times as it sets, which means you can't see where it will show until it's too late.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gorilla ruined my project

I'm not a fan of gorilla either. Here is a site for ya
http://www.thistothat.com/

o

Thanks! I will try that site.

o

why don't you try what they use to glue glass together for the plate flowers and totems that are outside summer and winter. Go to Lowes and get some GE Silicone Caulk for windows and doors. It comes in a tube that is used with the caulk gun or they have it in small tube, but that is more expensive. I have glued a lot of things with this and it dries clear. You can also smooth a small about on your buttons. I have met my stuff outside winter and summer and I live in Indiana where we have had some really rough winters. This is great stuff, I don't like gorilla glue either.

o

The trouble with gluing small buttons is that they are slightly dished. So if you glue them with the concave side facing up, the glue seeps through the holes and if you try to glue them convex side up, there is very little area touching the base.

o

I would use E6000. Since I discovered it about 4 years ago I use it for anything outside and inside. It will hold outside in the Texas sun for about 3 years. It is clear and does not shrink or expand. Comes in a tube for about $4.00.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Crafts and Decorations Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here